stephanie_meyer_scott

First home :0 Living room layout help?

Stephanie Meyer-Scott
5 år siden
sidst ændret:5 år siden

Hello!

My boyfriend and I have just bought our first place (1930s semi in North London) and we're sloooooowly working out what we like, decor wise, except for the living room! We're clueless.

Here's a plan with the dimensions of one sofa set that we're half-looking at. How does it look? Could we go even bigger on one sofa? Any and all thoughts from wiser houzz-ers welcome - particularly on how to handle that tricky bay area :/

We haven't bought any furniture for the room yet. We've never bought sofas before and don't want to go wrong.

That fireplace is probably going to go, as will those curtains ;)

NB: We definitely want alcove bookshelves either side of the fireplace, otherwise everything is fair game.

Big thanks in advance!

(27) kommentarer

• Carolina
    5 år siden

Oh no, can I persuade you to keep the fireplace? It's lovely!

I quite like the layout you came up with. Two good sized 2-seaters is a good idea. No one wants to sit in the middle on a 3-seater anyway. So I wouldn't get 2 of the same size.

Look at loads of different sofas. Test how comfy they are. And measure the ones you're considering buying. A good idea is to make a template out of paper and tape and lay that on the floor to see how much space a big piece of furniture will take up.

In the shop everything looks much smaller than it will do in your home.

You'll find some helpful tips here:

https://www.houzz.co.uk/ideabooks/87794902/list/sofa-buying-guide

Stephanie Meyer-Scott thanked Carolina
  • minnie101
    5 år siden

I wouldn't go bigger on one of the sofas, it looks a bit odd when they're opposite each other imo and you end up trying to even it out with a side table or something. A sofa in a bay can look good, maybe exchange the plant for a side table and a floor lamp the other side? What Style and colours have you chosen for elsewhere and what way does the room face In terms of light? Will you have a tv? I must admit I would keep the fireplace! The surround is lovely and the tiles are a beautiful colour (and very on trend!). You could change the tiles if you don't like the colour?

Stephanie Meyer-Scott thanked minnie101
  • Stephanie Meyer-Scott
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Thanks so much for the tips! I'm so torn about that fireplace to be honest - I keep looking at it, trying to love it, but can't :/ If you've got any ideas on how to style it though, do shout!

• Stephanie Meyer-Scott
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

To clarify - we're definitely keeping a fireplace, just maybe not THAT one. Those tiles are quite a distinctive shade of green and i'm not sure we can make it work. I'd love to be persuaded otherwise though!

@minnie:

1 - the room is north-east facing

2 - Yep, we'll have a telly (over the fireplace we think - I know, but we need one!)

3 - We're toying with dark, inspo pics I've saved are below. I know it's been done to death but we'd quite like to give it a go. Fave is the first one, I love like the contrast and the wood tones.

• A B
    5 år siden
    Keep the fireplace!!
    Stephanie Meyer-Scott thanked A B
  • A B
    5 år siden
    We have a tv in an alcove of one chimney breast at a slight angle so we don’t need to crane our necks 90 degrees to watch tv. Could be a better option than mounting it above the fire? I also think the green of the tiles would go perfectly with lots of deep blues and greys. Which sofas are you considering? They look to be a good fit for the room
  • Carolina
    5 år siden
    Oh duh, I’ve just read back my comment and meant to say that I WOULD get two sofas of the same size.
    If you go for the two sofas opposite each other layout.

Do you have the dimensions of the room?
  • Victoria
    5 år siden

The fireplace is beautiful, please keep it. You don’t have to embrace green, one or two accent pieces would work. Two large two seater sofas opposite each other. TV on unit or wall opposite fire. Art above fireplace. Definitely go for alcove shelving, I’d suggest cabinets at low level with shelving above.

Stephanie Meyer-Scott thanked Victoria
  • Emily
    5 år siden
    Think the green tiles will be great especially if you’re going dark with decoration. When you measure the sofas it’s a good idea to measure the depth too since there can be quite a lot of variation and if the room is normal sized it can sometimes be awkward with very deep sofas.
    Stephanie Meyer-Scott thanked Emily
  • A B
    5 år siden
    Agree. I did think the sofas don’t look too deep. But these are to scale in the room apparently
  • Alix W
    5 år siden
    I love the fireplace! And that green will look amazing with a dark colour on the walls. Just pick it up with a few plants in the room.

The only advice I have about sofas is to make sure they are in proportion with the room - it’s always tempting to go for the big squishy sofa in the shop, but nothing makes a smallish room look teeny than a massive sofa!
  • tbyrne309
    5 år siden
    Another fan of the fireplace here!
  • Gillian Spark
    5 år siden
    the main priority with sofas is comfort, a size that fits the room and how tall you are. when choosing one slouch in it for 10 mins sitting as you do to watch tv ie not the sit up straight tht we normally do in a shops.
    Stephanie Meyer-Scott thanked Gillian Spark
  • Carolina
    5 år siden

Layout options, notice the TV placement.

N8 Residence · Mere information

Random Projects · Mere information
    Battersea, Victorian Terraced House · Mere information

• A B
    5 år siden
    We have the layout including tv as per Carolina’s second pic. Works really well
  • E D
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

I agree with Carolina (and everyone else here...) you'll regret deleting the fireplace.

It has such a unique character with the fabulous vibrant green tiles. I feel it would suit a subtly industrially styled interior, but certainly not exclusively.

I'm not sure if its green works with Hague Blue. But hey, it's easier and cheaper to change the wall colour than taking out a fireplace (and replacing it)...

Whatever you do, take your time! :)

Stephanie Meyer-Scott thanked E D
  • Sam Potter
    5 år siden
    Carolina is very wise. Definitely take her advice on the fireplace. And she knows her colour combos too.
    Stephanie Meyer-Scott thanked Sam Potter
  • Alice Sermanni
    5 år siden
    Please keep the fireplace it adds so much character
    Stephanie Meyer-Scott thanked Alice Sermanni
  • PRO
    Optic Interiors
    5 år siden

I definitely agree with the other's, please keep that fireplace! At the very least, don't commit to changing it until you've figured out what other elements are going in/colour scheme. You would be surprised at what keeping an original element like this will do for your space...it creates instant warmth and character.

Other than that, I think your layout is good. I too agree, keep the sofa's the same size.

I don't like TV's over fireplaces...who really wants the TV as a focal point?! Plus, it usually ends up way too high for comfortable viewing. The TV set into one of the alcoves on an arm would be better aesthetically and for viewing.

Good luck and have fun!

• minnie101
    5 år siden

I agree with everyone re tv. I really like your 2nd inspiration pic, the linen curtains look fab against the walls and there's lot of texture in the room. You could add more warmth with a brass side table, mirror etc. I really like the first room too but Personally would go for off white/pale neutral woodwork, those walls would also look fab in a grasscloth/silk effect etc wallpaper although it would add a lot of expense! Maybe detail what you like about each room and people can help more with shopping suggestions?

• Catherine Charlesworth
    5 år siden

And another person agreeing...DO keep the fireplace. People in the future will be grateful. It's the natural focal point, and the tiling looks original. What a gift! I love your ideas about dark colours, and the teal sofa suggestion is genius - teal references and tones with green but also subdues the effect.

Two sofas is a great idea; its an elegant and efficient way to seat 4 and no-one ever wants to sit in the middle of a larger one - it makes conversation impossible. One tip is to place them NOT right against a wall if possible. Pull them into the room even if only a little way, making sure you have enough circulation space between them and a coffee table Paradoxically, space behind a sofa implies a larger room. Alternatively, and I know this works, you don't have to have a coffee table between them, but can use side tables.

I also agree that a TV above a fireplace is a very bad idea. It looks unsophisticated, it's harder to change when you want a new, or no, TV, and the angle of viewing is all wrong. A big black screen is not what should dominate your sitting room - which is going to be great.

How exciting to be planning your first home.

Stephanie Meyer-Scott thanked Catherine Charlesworth
  • Sonia
    5 år siden
    That fireplace is beautiful and that emerald green tiling is divine. I love green. Why not embrace the green but keep to grey walls? Like this pic.
    Stephanie Meyer-Scott thanked Sonia
  • Stephanie Meyer-Scott
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Thanks so much all, you’ve inspired me to look again at the green fireplace - although my partner is completely horrified! He’s not a fan of the green. I think we have our work cut out to find a scheme we both like with the fireplace included. On that note, we like dark but not wedded to the idea - love the grey and the moulding in that pic ForzaItalia.

Now I’m all turned about! Does anyone have any other ideas for colour schemes to work with the green? We like classical touches (i‘m installing panelling in the dining room), wood tones, cast iron, plants, tan leather (although I think I’d prefer fabric sofas for comfort). The room is north facing. For those who asked, the dimensions of the room are attached - in cm.

Also - noted about the telly!

Big thanks again to all of you xx

• Rose Williams
    5 år siden

To be honest, I don't think I would keep that fireplace even though I like the green and gold, you could buy a lovely cast iron fireplace with tile inserts you actually like instead. I'd give it a lot of thought, because removing it is a messy job.

Stephanie Meyer-Scott thanked Rose Williams
  • PRO
    Couch Potato Company
    5 år siden

Hi Stephanie,

A mid-century style would look great, and it incorporates a lot of the colours you like - dark blues, that fantastic fireplace green, tan leather and darker wood tones. You could also try some monotone accessories if you (or your partner) want to tone down the green tiles! I'd also recommend lots of plants to brighten up the north facing light. It's a great way of making a room feel lively and fresh.

Have a look at some of these for inspiration:

Knoll MR Low Table | MR Armchair

Eames DSW | Eames DAW | Nelson Sunflower Clock | Eames House Bird

Louis Poulsen 3 1/2 - 3 Pendant

Eames Hang it All Black Ash | Eames LTR | Akari 3A Lamp | Eames Wool Throw

Also, if you do feel hesitant about the room being too matchy-matchy, this little l'Oiseau would sit perfectly with the green tiling, if you wanted a small and subtle accent piece to complement the colour scheme.

L'Oiseau in Ivy Gloss

Keep us posted with photos, looking forward to seeing this wonderful room as it changes!

Phoebe

Stephanie Meyer-Scott thanked Couch Potato Company
  • Sonia
    5 år siden
    I know how you feel Stephenie. There are some lovely ideas here, but in the end it must be something you both like. I’ve recently had my living room painted and it took me ages to choose a colour, and that was just the walls! From these ideas you will know what you don’t like, and you will get there. Don’t rush it. Good luck.
    Stephanie Meyer-Scott thanked Sonia
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.