webuser_808739042

kitchen units colours help!!

Zoe
5 år siden
Hi, I’ve had such good advice with other areas of our house refurb that I was hoping for more with our kitchen design..I should have made a decision weeks ago but I just can’t seem to get it right and feel totally comfortable.

We love the idea of a dark navy kitchen and have found a colour on the Ral chart (5011 steel blue) that is going to be painted onto a really smart Aster handless kitchen.

We have a set of units, eye height units, an island and a wall of units as in the picture. We will be using a light white/grey marble effect quartz as the surface and splash backs. We are hoping to have a light washed oak chevron floor and accent it with brushed bronze chairs/lights etc. Have shown some pics below to give idea.

However, I just feel the whole thing needs ‘lifting’ somehow and just can’t decide how. It just feels like will be too much ‘block’ colour and could do with another texture/lightening somewhere. We are not keen on wood on the surface of island and have tried ‘wooden’ shelves instead of cupboards at ends of the eye height units but it just looks a bit like the kitchen isn’t finished yet!

Am very grateful for any ideas. Thanks so much.

(30) kommentarer

• Ellie
    5 år siden
    To me it's the lighting. I wouldn't have all those spots and instead would have copper pendants over the island in a copper like the chairs. A couple green plants too.
  • Zoe
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Hi Ellie, thanks, yes agree re lighting, was thinking 3 bronze light fittings above island.
    Do you think it is too much ‘block’ blue colour elsewhere though and if so where could it be broken up and with what?
  • minipie
    5 år siden

A few ideas: 1) paint the full height units white/off white (ie to blend with the wall and make those units less dominant) 2) how about wooden cupboard doors on the wall units? Maybe in a washed oak to match the floor? 3) Wooden shelves but in the centre of the wall units not each end 4) Make the wall units glass fronted (depends on contents!)

• minnie101
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

I agree with lighting, I might just go for a single pendant something like the floS. You could go for wood on the base units (just on the back run), theres an orangey tone in your floor which would work. just wondering if you'd considered just having an overhang for your stools? Also wondering if the ovens can be raised slightly to countertop height so your horizontal lines work? I think once it's accessorised it will look great anyway!

• Juliet Docherty
    5 år siden

I think it looks a bit harsh and too contrasting. The all over blue may work with a more mid tone wall colour, or break up some of the blue with a different unit colour, but at the moment it looks a bit too dominant with the white walls. If the back wall doesn't have an extractor, I would consider replacing the upper cupboards with wooden shelving to add a bit of texture and character.

• Zoe
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Thank you so much everyone for your comments. So helpful.
    Colour happy - if we used wood for the upper cabinets, would it matter if it was different to the floor?
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 år siden

HI Zoe, I would suggest that it doesn't matter but it may help if it was cool rather than warm. The image that you have posted isn't your actual kitchen is it? The whites are very cool as is the lighting and there is very little wood to warm it up. If you look at the flooring sample in your photos, there are all sorts of beautiful colours in there that can be pulled in.

• Carolina
    5 år siden

I would just choose a different colour for the tall bank of units. Probably white.

I'm sure your designer can show you different options?

• Zoe
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Thank you all again. Below is a mock up that our kitchen designer has done since I gave him some feedback on our thoughts.
    I think his software does make the picture look quite stark but I think this is a big improvement - any thoughts?
    We would be pairing it with a warm wooden chevron floor and either copper/bronze chairs and perhaps similar light fittings as pictured above?
    I have also asked him to look at wooden doors on the back wall but I think i prefer this look?
    Thanks again for all help
  • Ellie
    5 år siden

Not what you want to hear, but I actually preferred the first pic to this one!

Think there is too much white. Does it have to be white? Could you have a paler blue or light grey on the ones that are white in the recent pic?

• Zoe
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Ps the surfaces and splash back would be white marble effect quartz with a bit more grey definition in too
  • Zoe
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Ah no! Don’t worry Ellie!
  • Zoe
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    This is with a bit more grey colour...
  • Zoe
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
  • Zoe
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    This is the kind of look was going for..
  • Ellie
    5 år siden
    I think they grey is much nicer than white
  • Zoe
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Thanks, really helpful to have some other opinions
  • Nina Edgewood
    5 år siden
    Just posting this as we also have dark blue units, light oak effect floor and light worktops. Realise it’s perhaps not the style you’re after but gives you an idea of how some other colours/ wood finishes could work alongside your scheme. We also have installed slightly warm white spot lights which helps avoid that starkness. Good luck!
  • Zoe
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Wow dickybird this is stunning! I have a feeling we are not clever enough to pull this off but wish we could!
  • Carolina
    5 år siden

I think that the white and grey version both look good. Your example photo seems to be a very light grey.

• PRO
    DIY Kitchens
    5 år siden

Hi, if you are after some kitchen inspiration for your
    handleless kitchen then you might find some here, from the 152 examples that
    our customers have shared with us in the past.

• Zoe
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Oh I like that idea Melissa thanks! Do you think it would also go with the handless look too? I love the shade of blue you have too, would you mind telling me what colour it is? Thanks for your help
  • Melissa S
    5 år siden

It’s Railings from Farrow and Ball - a lovely dark navy. And I love Persian rugs in a modern setting, I think it would go

• Melissa S
    5 år siden

Pic I found on Pinterest of Handleless kitchen

• Caz M
    5 år siden
    Hi there, we have just had our kitchen finished in navy blue (RAL2004) we found the 2011 too light. We used Silestone calatatta gold worktops, full height splash back and island worktop, we painted all the walls in Little Greene Tusk, which brings warmth to the walls. Maybe look at a darker oak flooring, as this will add a lot of warmth to the room, we went with an antique oak (I normally absolutely hate dark/antique oak but for me, the floor makes our kitchen).
  • Caz M
    5 år siden
    Unfortunately the photos do make the walls look as if they are white but compared to the ceiling you can definitely tell the difference!
  • Caz M
    5 år siden
    Another pic!
  • Caz M
    5 år siden
    Excuse the stools! They are only temporary until we find some that we like!
  • Zoe
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Caz M this is gorgeous. Your floor is amazing too!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.