jacqueline_kennedy_bloxam

to keep or not.

Not sure whether to keep these cupboards in my new house. Any thoughts on how to modernize without ripping it out.

(15) kommentarer

• PRO
    NIELSEN DYE DESIGN, INC.
    5 år siden

I would suggest you replace the top doors with the same style as the bottom which is a bit more modern with the straight lines. I would then hire a professional to come in, strip off the old varnish, and lighten up the whole room in a white. I would also replace the handles to a more contemporary, brushed stainless or the like. What about your appliances? Are you keeping these? Look at bit dated....if you have time I would trade out for stainless to give your kitchen a more modern feel as you are looking for. Good luck.

• artistsharonva
    5 år siden

I would not waste any $ on anything, until a full remodel is doable.

That kitchen needs to retire.

It's time to treat yourself to a nice new kitchen.

• zmith
    5 år siden

The cabinets look nice. I thought you were going to ask about the speakers over the cooktop.

• Jacqueline Kennedy-Bloxam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Well, this is actually the exhaust fan. Hideous. It is definitely going.
  • jhmarie
    5 år siden

I am all for working with what you have when on a budget - but when the layout is bad, then don't put any money into it and save for fixing the layout. Sometimes that can be done with older cabinets and a competent carpenter - but not always. You might be able to replace the oven with a range which would get the stovetop off the island and a better looking vent through the wall, but you want landing space on both sides of the range - a bit of rearranging. Definitely wait six months to see how this kitchens works for you.

I do have a "wood kitchens" idea book which includes some older, refreshed kitchens - perhaps something will inspire:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

• sheloveslayouts
    5 år siden

Can you post a couple more photos from other corners of the room?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 år siden

Those cabinets will never be modern in fact there is nothing that will be modern without a full redo. That cooktop in that island is just not ggod.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år siden

Any thoughts on how to modernize without ripping it out.

No. you just can't make anything in there look modern. not the cabs, the laminate or the funky shaped island. it all screams of last century. You can make it look fresh by painting and replacing countertops/appliances and backsplash, but that's about it.

Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Here is a couple more angles.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 år siden

Is that your furniture ? If it is then the kitchen works well with it.Regardless that fan has got to go.

• Joe T.
    5 år siden

New appliances and new hardware will go a long way to making those cabinets look much, much better. Then if you have the funds, new countertops and backsplash.

Forfatter
    5 år siden
    This whole room has got to change. This is from the previous owners. Any thoughts?
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 år siden

Layout-wise the fridge should move to the pantry wall and the cooktop shouldmove to the oven/fridge wall probably as a range.

If you’re Considering a new kitchen, post a floor plan withdimensions and window/door locations.

• felizlady
    5 år siden
    Good comments from the Houzzers.
    Wait. Make an informed budget. Do not, under any circumstances, borrow or take out a loan to pay for a new kitchen. Save money. Save some more. Collect an ideabook of kitchen photos you LOVE which can be your inspiration. Use a certified kitchen designer when the time comes.
    Yes, it will be a pain to work with this kitchen while you save for a good one, but it will be worth it. Get several contractor references from friends who have actually used them.
    Look at actual cabinets and other materials you like in your inspiration photos so you know approximately what everything costs.
    When you have enough money saved, you may start.
    Do not use the phrase "Well, while we are remodeling, we may as well......". That's a budget killer phrase. If you buy things or charge work invoices on your credit card, do not charge more than you can pay off seven days before the end of each credit period. Your "saved money" should be in the bank.
    Thank you and enjoy your new kitchen.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.