troutguy5

New build, porch/front stairs. Stone, concrete or??

Jeff Smith
5 år siden

What to do about a front porch and stairs that have to be about 12-14' long and reach to driveway?

More stone, stone pavers, stamped concrete, plain concrete??

First image shows general outline of porch and part of stairs.Next image shows plan from top & how driveway curves around

We can have any material or shape (almost), so open to ideas. Cost isn't an issue because we're 'way over budget anyway, ha ha.

I like idea of stone but afraid it may be too much, too busy. We could have risers like in sample photos below?

Note: outside finishes aren't "finished": garage doors from white-to-stucco-color, beams and bare wood to reddish brown, brown wood front door, brown fascia.

(15) kommentarer

• PRO
    David D. Quillin Architecture
    5 år siden

Hello, I would recommend plain concrete. You have really nice textures going on with the stone walls and exposed wood, so a simpler material would help to set those off. You could consider a polished concrete (not as slippery as it sounds) or also just do a plain light broom finish concrete...

Jeff Smith thanked David D. Quillin Architecture
  • suezbell
    5 år siden

Concrete. My sister and her husband used stone for the flooring of both their wrap around front/side porch and their back screened porch and regret it.

Jeff Smith thanked suezbell
  • houssaon
    5 år siden

I think plain concrete will look good with your house. Although I do like flagstone on the treads (and on the stoop) and the mountain ash on the risers, which I assume is the facing of the house.

Jeff Smith thanked houssaon
  • Jeff Smith
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Houssaon - yes, risers would be facing the driveway.

Good ideas, wonder if we could just have plain concrete (which matches what will be a rather long driveway of plain concrete) but then have some stone detail? Like maybe only stone risers or stone treads? It DOES snow here so I don't relish the idea of shoveling snow off of stone.

• suezbell
    5 år siden

If you use stone, know that water can blow in and stand and freeze in any grout indents and eventually cause some problems.

If you choose a concrete porch, you can have a small (4") overhang over the front wall of the porch, enabling your to put any railing or posts at the very edge of where you'll walk and still have porch (overhang) beyond any railing ... which makes for a much better visual.

You couldalways use more stone for facing the porch beneath the porch floor overhang and for outlining your sidewalk and driveway.

If this is your main entrance, do seriously consider enlarging your front stoop/porch beyond the orange outline show in your pic which, as is, is little more than a wide step.

You should seriously consider adding a flat roofed screened porch between that white door and the part of the structure by the front entrance that is opposite it. That would visually minimize the white door, give you a shelter for any DIY projects you might consider doing as you finish and decorate the interior of your home and could be a great place to park a bicycle tricycle or baby troller or BBQ grill once you move in. You could have your screened porch door face the side, toward the driveway, rather than forward.

That white garage door and the white door left of it, if left painted white, could stick out like a sore thumb and compete for attention with the other door. There are paints (Giani) that can give it the appearance of wood.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år siden

your house reminds me of this one. I wish I had an entire pic showing the front. It looks as though forms/rebar are there for poured concrete.

BTW, If you brush your stone w/an enhancing sealer it will really bring out the colors in the stone.

I love how they did the steps in this one, mixed w/slatted wood.

when you get around to landscaping, this would look very cool next to your stone.

are you painting the garage door and that other white door?

Jeff Smith thanked Beth H. :
  • Jeff Smith
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Here's a possible look, with stone only on risers...

• suezbell
    5 år siden

Really like the two-story porch roof in the pic BethH posted. Something similar could be used to enable you to have a larger porch extending the full depth of the entry.

Does your entry have a back door facing the door left of the garage? If not, you might consider adding one as you consider adding a screened porch there.

• groveraxle
    5 år siden

Plain concrete for sure. You have more than enough stone and you don't need the steps to mimic the house.

Jeff Smith thanked groveraxle
  • houssaon
    5 år siden

I have to weigh in again. Another vote for plain concrete - more modern feel.

Jeff Smith thanked houssaon
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 år siden

Well, it's a budget issue...and it's a aesthetic issue...and it's a safety issue.

Stone as patio surfaces, stair treads and other horizontal surfaces raises safety issues and durability issues. Brick can work, but the question then arises as to harmonious aesthetics with your house.

My vote would be concrete which is composed of white cement and is integrally colored using pigment(s) of your choice, with a heavy salt surface finish to give some texture.

Good luck on your project.

Jeff Smith thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • sprink1es
    5 år siden

Personal opinion here, but I really dislike the 4x4' steps. To me it feels like I want to put one foot on each section, but I can't, and it turns into an awkward shuffle of me walking down the wedding aisle (step step pause, step step pause)

Jeff Smith thanked sprink1es
  • Jeff Smith
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Folks, thanks so much. We already have multiple outdoor porches on other sides of the house, where the views are. Facing the front one only sees the street and other houses in the distance.

The rear has a sweet view, so there are multiple patios, etc. on rear and side. Further, as much as a screen porch would be nice we're too far along now...would need an approved City plan change, hoa change, etc. But good ideas!

I like the "mixed w/slatted wood" stairs picture...maybe we could do something along those lines.

Virgil's really got it with the shape of the stairs; we could potentially color the concrete slightly (they have more integrated coloring agents now that don't change color as much)...ligher version of stucco siding color shown above.

• Jeff Smith
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Here's another idea...boulders that come into the plane of the stoop and stairs and then plain concrete sort of flows around it. It might add some interest and we have to put boulders on left side anyway for erosion control (this would also mean that a railing isn't needed)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.