kellie_kouts

Will builders still build to lock up?

Kellie Kouts
5 år siden
My husband and I are looking to owner build in Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs. We do this with our close friend who is an architect and a retired builder to project manage for us. Problem is as the builder is retired, so are a lot of his contacts. We have got quotes for everything to lock up but can’t get a Concreter to quote after following up on over 20 referrals?!?! Some friends/family have suggested getting a builder to get the house to lock up, but I wasn’t sure if builders would do this in this current market?
Any help or advice is appreciated

(10) kommentarer

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    5 år siden
    Kellie. I will introduce you to some. Message me.
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 år siden

executing Owner Builder projects these days really is consolidated to projects that can be self funded - banks and building surveyors are becoming increasingly cautious when it comes to owner builder projects and fair enough too......

Experience/knowledge aside, unless you are retired, on long service leave or have a passive income and have money in the bank, it's questionable whether you'll overall save money when you factor your own time and risk into it.....after helping several clients with owner builds, and doing a couple of my own, (& I know what I'm doing) my opinion of this approach has shifted significantly over the past 15 years or so..........as a general pattern, it starts off as exciting, but the projects are harder to finish, and when the money runs out there's a big risk of being caught in no man's land where you've spend more than anticipated, the jobs unfinished but you need more money to finish it properly to either re-finance of release funds somehow......

My advice (for mental health!) is to approach these projects and engaged with this industry as professionally as possible with clear packaged proposals. Sure build some flexibility into the contract say for choices on finishes etc, but I'd now confidently advise people the best approach for construction projects, to minimise risk and for a most smooth process, is to "front end" investment in comprehensive design, documentation & specification that can then be clearly packaged/presented to a (reputable) builder who can then fix the quote and execute the construction stage far more effectively and efficiently than someone "having a go piecing it all together for the first time", regardless of whether you may have some close industry contacts as support....

Best of luck! Cheers PD :)

Kellie Kouts thanked Paul Di Stefano Design
  • oklouise
    5 år siden

in our experience it's much easier, quicker and cheaper to have a builder take care of subcontracting as you've already discovered the trades aren't usually keen to work for owner builders on big jobs although we've had a builder stagger a major renovation to lock up and subcontracted the rest but only because they expect future work from us

• Kellie Kouts
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Thanks everyone for your input. 3dga has been really helpful and provided some contacts. My husband is keen on being very involved and working part time has capacity but I would like to pursue the builder route so we can ensure the trades come to site and the project doesn’t drag on. Hence why I wanted to pursue the build to lockup which is a compromise. I hope we can get something worked out to get this project started within the next year?!
  • PRO
    5 år siden
    One thing for certain. And people tend to forget is, always remember that its your job site.
    If you see something you don't like, say it out, or it will never be fixed.
    And don't be scared to change tradies if they don't suit you. A little setback is better than ongoing trouble.
  • OskarBB
    5 år siden

Hi Kellie, just wondering how you've progressed? I'm in a similar boat to you and would love to hear how you're going! Might have to look to use a builder to get to lockup although very keen to move along as an owner builder.

• Kellie Kouts
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Hi Oskar, my husband is still very keen to pursue the owner builder route from the start! We have have Spoken to a few more concreters and they have come to see the site so fingers crossed. I think this construction boom is making it hard for the owner builder, Thats for sure!

alex from 3DA was really helpful with some names and I will be talking to them early next year if nothing further eventuates. you may be able to message him and get some contacts. good luck!

• PRO
    User
    5 år siden
  • PRO
    5 år siden
    OskarBB.I only know builders in Sydney area.If you are in Syd, then you are very welcome to message me.
    Alex
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.