amcox_us

Recessed/Canned Lights - To do or Not to do

A C
10 år siden
I'm debating to whether or not to add recessed lights in this family room.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If so, how many and where and where should they be placed?

(11) kommentarer

• User
    10 år siden
    Looks like you could use them in your kitchen along with some pendant lights over the island. Try them in the kitchen first to see if you like them.
  • A C
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thank you! How many and where should they be placed? 4? Corners of the ceiling fan?
  • PRO
    User
    10 år siden
    I am having a hard time understanding what is happening on the ceiling. Could you add some more photos showing the upper portion of the wall and more ceiling?
  • A C
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    This is the closest that I can get. It's just a flat ceiling, with the ceiling fan.
  • roosterdavis
    10 år siden
    I will caution you not to put can lights anywhere near the fan. If you do, when the fan is on, you will get a noticeable strobe effect. I would put cans in and lamp them with Narrow Flood lamps. Narrow flood lamps usually have a 25 degree beam spread as opposed to standard or flood lamps. With the ceiling height you have, standard lamps will tend to look a bit washed out.
  • mcbriec
    10 år siden
    I would seriously consider spending a few hundred on a lighting consultation with somebody who knows about lighting two-story ceilings properly. Inadequate/improper lighting is a constant source of irritation. There was a recent article in Houzz about lighting principles, one of which was to multiply the square footage of the room by 1.5 to get the total number of wattage (??) in the room. You have a lovely home so it deserves proper lighting!
  • PRO
    Diamond Custom Finishes
    10 år siden
    Recessed lighting is great...now take it to the next level with LED and low voltage LED recessed lighting. Lower electric use, cooler (very little heat emitted from LED Low), dimmable, long life and all color range now available. We recommend LED on our projects.
  • A C
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I totally agree with the comment regarding the fan. I have no plan to place them within the blades. My thought was to place them outside the blades. The idea is to use the fan or its blades as a marker. In not sure if I explained that properly. The other thought is to have another set of logs that aren't as stronger as the light on the fan and to have softer lights. Great idea for a dinner on the recessed lights.
  • roosterdavis
    10 år siden
    The x factor here is the fact that the fan is on a pendant. Figure out the distance from the ceiling to the fan. Then go to a photometric chart and decide how far those cans need to be from the fan blade. A photometric chart can be found on the lighting manufacturers website or from the light bulb maker. Again, I'd recommend keeping the beam spreads tight. 25 degree narrow floods at the most.
  • roosterdavis
    10 år siden
    Here is a link to the Sylvania photometric chart. What you're looking for is how bright it is at what distances and how much beam spread you'll get from the source.
    http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/Documents/RETRO025R2.814df5c1-f18e-4cd5-9984-6a4a32e37f10.pdf
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.