melly348

Help me choose a splashback for a black-and-white kitchen

melly348
5 år siden
sidst ændret:5 år siden

Hi

Would love opinions and advice on what splashback to do for our kitchen. We built it nearly two years ago and still can’t decide as I want it to be something I love as I wish now we had chosen a bench top with more marbling and 40mm. The benchtops are ceaserstone organic white, and the top cupboards are a black wood grain with some browns in it, called “likewood ravenwood”.The floor tiles are grey. We have wooden stools, a large teak dining table and bench seat, and will be putting two wooden shelves to the right of the window. We were thinking tiles as we need to have something under the wooden shelves, but open to ALL suggestions!

(31) kommentarer

• melly348
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

I like the idea of not tiling under shelves, except I just had a look and there is about a 1cm gap between the bench and wall so it seems like we have to tile :( The painting also hasnt been done all the way down to the bench top but that’s an easier fix. Thanks for the suggestion re bench top.

• girlguides
    5 år siden
    I’d go with marble veined stone splashback like you regret not having got and as no water where shelves to go maybe some strip or wood with paint etc to fill gap
    melly348 thanked girlguides
  • Ann
    5 år siden
    There’s a picture of a fabulous marble splashback here which looks similar to your kitchen. https://stylecurator.com.au/is-a-marble-splashback-a-good-idea/
    melly348 thanked Ann
  • kbodman14
    5 år siden
    There are some fantastic faux marble on the market, without the hassles or price. If in OZ have a look at National Tiles, marble like tile in large dimensions.
    melly348 thanked kbodman14
  • dairy_maid
    5 år siden

the kitchen lacks texture/pattern. i had a similar dilemma and got white with a grey modern repeating pattern. also cant see dirt as easily on it unless its pasta sauce of course. just perfect. modern but not sterile. some nice italian ones around

melly348 thanked dairy_maid
  • melly348
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

That looks great Ann!

Thanks kbodman14. I am in Oz so i’ll have a look. Like the idea of it being cheaper! Does it look okay given it needs to be grouted?

I agree Dairy_maid, just not great with design and styling etc to be able to ”name” the issue! Hoping the shelves might add a bit more warmth as well. Do you have a pic of your tile?

• Caro
    5 år siden
    I like the idea of continuing your countertop as splashback. If the gap is an issue: we will have a lovely grey toned mirrored style glass splashback - and have a small lip of 15cm of the ceasarstone benchtop over this, and along the side behind the sink sitting under the window ledge. Maybe the extra layer could cover the gap?

Your kitchen does lack texture - you could add in some hanging pendant lights and a painting or artwork on the blank wall or shelves in a wood or veneer to warm it up.
    melly348 thanked Caro
  • lynmsmail
    5 år siden
    My kitchen was all white with a grey floor. After many many samples, I finally decided on this grey textured, glossy tile and just love the effect. So easy to clean and it has given the kitchen a wow factor.
    melly348 thanked lynmsmail
  • sharon3986
    5 år siden
    I’m another fan of continuing the bench stone up into the splash back. It looks so classy and simple. And I really like your bench top! Good luck.
    melly348 thanked sharon3986
  • PRO
    A & T Cabinet Makers
    5 år siden

Hello, a tiled splash back will finish the area off nicely, if you have the budget to stretch to painted glass splash backs, this will bring reflection of light into the space. I would definitely put splash back to the right of the kitchen window. It is quite a large wall to not want to get dirty. White is an easy option, black is highly reflective. OR seeing you would have loved to have a marble vein in your stone, why not add marble veined tiled splashback, it is on trend at the moment and would look stunning.

melly348 thanked A & T Cabinet Makers
  • dreamer
    5 år siden
    In my opinion the kitchen requires some interest or texture. I would add splashback tiles or the marble look splashback. Install behind cooktop and on wall where you are going to put shelves. There are so many choices out there. I would not install more flat shiny plain services. Your wooden shelves will make a huge difference in warming up, and giving texture to the area.
    melly348 thanked dreamer
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

Your kitchen selections are very restrained. If you decide to keep the same level of restraint and use the Caeserstone benchtop material as a splashback then be aware of the cooktop setback requirements. Caeserstone say " For both electric and induction cooktops it is a requirement to have a minimum 50mm gap from the back edge of the cooktop to the Caesarstone splashback..", Measure the distance between the wall and the rear edge of the cooktop, then subtract the width of the splashback and the fibre cement sheet backing board (assuming you have a timber stud frame construction), and make sure that the difference is not less than 50mm.

Sometimes there are tehncial requirements behind making design decisions which are actually more important to get right than just the superficial aesthetic decisions based on well-meaning advice. Don't risk melting the Caeserstone polymer that binds it altogether and potentially starting a house fire if you can't comply with Caeserstone's tecnical requirements.

Caeserstone technical installation advice.

Best of luck, and if you can't make a decision then call on a professional,

Regards

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

melly348 thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • KK1000
    5 år siden
    Behind the stove I would suggest same stone you have on the bench all the way up and on the other side you don’t need tall splash back just about 20 cm of the same stone to finish it off.
    melly348 thanked KK1000
  • KK1000
    5 år siden
    I think you need some interesting pendant lights above your work bench and may be some colourful vases or pot plant.
    melly348 thanked KK1000
  • Saskia Sprigg
    5 år siden

marble matches anything :) modern or traditional

• Jason K
    5 år siden

i like a tinted mirror splashback because it makes the room feel bigger and it's sophisticated. Goes with all colours and its modern. Good luck

• PRO
    Jill Rogers Interior Designer
    5 år siden
    A beautiful little grey and white marble mosaic tile would bring the entire scheme together subtly and beautifully. Simple and easy to do.
  • Tilly
    5 år siden
    I agree with Jill, marble would be a great choice to tie in the floor benches and cupboards.
    So many lovely marble feature tiles at the moment, like penny rounds, hexagon, fish scale and herringbone.
    Lots of shades, so not boring.
    I’m a huge fan of tile boutique, just go to a tile shop and you will know instantly what you would like and you will be able to take them home to try.
    Might not be marble but you have made great choices so far, no need to stop now.
    The hard works done, this is the fun part. Enjoy!
  • Lisa Imbruglia
    5 år siden

I would put some colour in there. Nothing really pops in your kitchen. It’s a great set up but needs some colour. For the wall behind the sink I’d go with large tiles at least 30x60 and put lengthways. Under cabinets is where I’d add colour. Make it a bit fun! Even muted colour looks great.

• sugar100
    5 år siden

Although my colour scheme is different to yours it is quite plain and needed some added interest. I used a really pretty grey and white patterned tile as a splash back and they are the absolute feature of the kitchen. Everyone comments on the tiles.

• janece_tony
    5 år siden
    This is what we are using in black and white kitchen.
  • Colleen Gibson
    5 år siden

We used a beautiful italian marble/stone and laid it in a herringbone pattern. It blends beautifully with the white benchtop but adds texture. Its gorgeous and our favorite thing in the kitchen, plus it's neutral but classic so dont think ill ever get sick of it. Good luck

• janece_tony
    5 år siden
    In a white which is what our island will be, this is be on the island front. (Will be black stone bench top).
  • PRO
    RAW Building
    5 år siden

Depending on your taste of course, I would introduce some colour - either as tiles or a glass splashback. Personally I think you will need to fill the entire area otherwise there are simply more lines to take in and will create an unwanted feature. We've had a glass splashback painted back and it was super easy to clean. For one kitchen, we've gone for a bright yellow to give it some pop. You can also have photos too but it's not as easy as the file sizes mean that they need to be taken/supplied by a professional photographer. If tiles is your preference, there are many great patterned tiles out now. Good luck!

• Lisa Imbruglia
    5 år siden

Yes colour. This is how I went. that is a glass painted splash back. So easy to clean.

Photos on splash backs look amazing too. Paints on Glass in chatswood are very good at it!

• The Doktor
    5 år siden

I agree with the need for some colour.

This is our kitchen which we finished a couple of months ago.

• Jennifer Bradley
    5 år siden

I think you have two good options - match or continue the bench tops, or get a supply of patterned tiles in white, black and grey, like a Moroccan patchwork. Or even a different colour if you want to add something.

• margomelb
    5 år siden
    A mirrored splashback would look great.
  • PRO
    Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay
    5 år siden

I vote for some colour & pattern :) My obsession with Southern Cross Ceramics continues .... they even have a visualiser you can have a play with.

• Gallifrey
    5 år siden

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.