janecarey62

Help.. ugly fireplace

janecarey62
5 år siden

Looking to make this pretty on a low budget.. Paint colors? Wall art?

(16) kommentarer

• Sister Sunnie
    5 år siden

It might look cool painted white the same as your wainscoting

janecarey62 thanked Sister Sunnie
  • PRO
    David D. Quillin Architecture
    5 år siden

You could also apply a smooth plaster topcoat over the existing stone (check out American Clay or similar plasters...). A hard, polished looking smooth surface would give a much cleaner appearance while keeping the feel of a true masonry fireplace.

janecarey62 thanked David D. Quillin Architecture
  • functionthenlook
    5 år siden

Yes, please clean it before you decide to paint. Once you paint there is no turning back. Have you seen pictures of painted stone. It doesn't look very good. Paint makes it look like fake stone panels.

janecarey62 thanked functionthenlook
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 år siden

There's nothing specifically wrong with this fireplace other than the soot. Does it complement the style of your home? I'm thinking it might be the wainscoting that is the problem. It seems a bit tall compared to the height of the ceiling.

janecarey62 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • K Laurence
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

Agree with Beverly‘s comment, , the wainscoting seems awfully high.

janecarey62 thanked K Laurence
  • Sarah D
    5 år siden

I would get the fireplace cleaned, inside and out, chimney, too, and then buy a nice fireplace screen, a set of fireplace tools, and a grate for the logs--assuming you use the fireplace. I'd invest in artwork or a mirror for above the mantel and, if you like symmetry, a vase for each side. You might consider replacing the hearth with black slate or other tile. I'd also paint the wall receptacle the same color as the wall. I agree that the wainscoting is distracting, especially in bright white.If there wasn't so much contrast, it wouldn't stand out as much. Of course, if you had a chair or bookshelf in that corner, we might not notice it as much, either!

janecarey62 thanked Sarah D
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år siden

completely clean out the box and then try this on the slate/quartzite first and see if it cleans it up a bit (Amazon)

protect all of the wood around it w/plastic, covered w/a heavy tarp. use this cleaner as advised on the back. get a scrub brush and really work all of that grime free. you will have to rinse and wipe and get clean water frequently.

find a decorative grate/ fireplace screen to cover the box. look on craigslist or yard sales for cheaper deals.

and decorate the mantel, put a chair in the corner and a plant in the other corner

janecarey62 thanked Beth H. :
  • lefty47
    5 år siden

HI -- The fireplace is fine , with a good cleaning . It does not need to be painted . The big problem is the two color walls which cuts the room in half . Paint the walls all one color . top to bottom and ceiling too ... like a warm white (Greek Villa SW 7551 ) Sherwin Williams paints . Once you add the furniture and window dressings and art it will look real nice .

janecarey62 thanked lefty47
  • suezbell
    5 år siden

Agree with what others have posted:

Fireplace isn't ugly -- likely just dirty w/soot needing serious cleaning.

Would paint all the walls -- wainscoting and above -- all one color

janecarey62 thanked suezbell
  • janecarey62
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Thanks for all the great comments..this is a house I am about to purchase, so cleaning it up will first for sure.. and I hadn't thought of painting all the wainscoting and wall the same color but love th idea and will do!

• J D
    5 år siden

What kind of house is this? Craftsman? I get others like it, but I agree with you..I don't really like it either. Clean it up and see, but it's ok if you don't like it....you have to live there.

• Nidnay
    5 år siden

I like the fireplace and agree with the others. Clean it and paint the walls all one color. The only part I don’t care for is the hearth with those two clay colored stones. I would replace those or replace the entire hearth.

• janecarey62
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Would love some paint color suggestions!
  • Nick
    5 år siden

I agree that the fireplace itself looks OK to me. I'd prefer it without the dark squares in each corner, but they might look better when it is all cleaned up (same for the hearth). The thing that strikes me is that there are too many different horizontal lines. This is especially true across the middle with the dado rail, mantle and top of the lower sash window all stepping up a couple inches from left to right. It is accentuated by the color change, but I would be inclined to take out the paneling altogether (unless it is there for insulation or protecting the walls). That gives you more freedom in hanging art, placing furniture, etc. I do agree that painting the walls one color would help. The color would depend somewhat on furniture, personal taste, etc. but a lighter shade would probably work better.

• Diane
    5 år siden
    Love the stone fireplace, it is the wall color and the hearth that need a change. As another suggested if you can replace the hearth with a solid piece of stone and select a paint color that enhances the room the fireplace will be a stunning asset
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.