whaas_5a

Promoting Tree Diversity within your Community

whaas_5a
5 år siden

I met this guy a few years back and it was nice to meet someone else with such grand enthusiasm to promote plant diversity within their community.

Do you have anyone in your community with a similar mission? If so pay respect and share!

https://www.cambridgetreeproject.org/

(12) kommentarer

• Mollydowneastmaine Zone 5b Dysart
    5 år siden

Wow! What a guy. I wish he were my neighbor.

whaas_5a thanked Mollydowneastmaine Zone 5b Dysart
  • Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    5 år siden

Here we are blighted with projects like the Gateway Arch Grounds which went from an Ash to a Planetree monoculture. Idiots.

Two of the 90 whatever mini cities which surround St Louis proper planted a row of burning bushes and some locust UNDER the power lines along US 67. Idiots.

We don't do that good on a public level.

whaas_5a thanked Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
  • maackia
    5 år siden

I do know of someone who lives in Ontario and is doing some great things in his community. ;)

whaas_5a thanked maackia
  • Embothrium
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

>It started with developing a collaborative relationship with the city's forester and working towards a common goal of re-foresting a park that has a no-dig archaeological restriction. I supplied the new trees<

Two key points being the city having a forester in the first place and you paying part of the cost of the project yourself.

Here the municipal economic development committee gets about 10 times the participation and support as the tree board, with the City even undercutting the tree board on one occasion during the time that I was involved. During the latter part of my participation the parks department was starting to move in the direction of having some version of a municipal arborist.

By adding this responsibility to those of an existing employee, rather than fully funding and recruiting for a dedicated position.

Since then a particular type of redevelopment has became prevalent in the area, wherein everything existing is removed and replaced by several story rectangles that fill nearly the entire, sometimes block long space. Once this is continued long enough it's going to start looking like San Francisco in the vicinity of Golden Gate Park around here, that is a bunch of generally homogenous architecture with little more than street planting pockets - if even that much space - left for trees.

whaas_5a thanked Embothrium
  • riverwoodgardens
    5 år siden

We can all work to create biodiversity by sharing our knowledge and gardens with others. Richard Krott of Tizer Botanic Gardens & Arboretum in Montana are growing more species than anyone else in Montana, I believe. Darren Heimbecker of Whistling Gardens near Wilsonville, ON has created 20+ acres of botanical gardens with the largest public conifer collection in the world, and is at the point where he can do a fair bit of his own propagating. I myself have more than 85 species of trees planted in my gardens. When collaborating with my local hort society on planting projects, I encourage the use of plants outside of most people's repertoire, when applicable. In my business, I specialize in carrying cultivars and species not commonly seen in our area, nor anywhere in Ontario. There are so many species that do well in our climate that most are unfamiliar with, and I love to try to educate others about the choices and diversity available.

whaas_5a thanked riverwoodgardens
  • whaas_5a
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Darren is a good dude. Wish I could by from him but he is in good ole Canada.

• Embothrium
    5 år siden

> largest public conifer collection in the world <

"Largest" in what sense of the word?

• whaas_5a
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Per his site it’s North America and based on number of species

• riverwoodgardens
    5 år siden

He has 2500 different species, hyhybrids and cultivars of conifers throughout the gardens.

• PRO
    GreenTec Nursery
    5 år siden
    So often, home landscapes are dictated by what's available in Big Box garden centers, which isn't much in our area. Many homeowners just don't have the experience in trees, or just lack awareness - They go to the garden center, look for "a tree", buy whatever is available and go home.

Spreading awareness in communities is paramount - Landscape sustainability is a big issue, and in municipalities that put a focus on it, it reflects in the overall vibrance of the landscape. If you practice sustainable landscaping principles, let your neighbors know what you're doing and why it's beneficial. Make a sales pitch out of it and see how far it can spread!

A highly reccomended read is "Living Landscapes" by Rick Darke and Doug Tallamy - Though focused on the Mid-Atlantic, there's a lot of practical application to the Midwest and Southeast as well. Nothing is more disheartening than to see a brand new subdivision put in that has nothing but lawns, yew bushes and dyed mulch for the landscaping on every single house, or worse, a Norway maple plopped in the front yard.
    whaas_5a thanked GreenTec Nursery
  • Embothrium
    5 år siden

>Nothing is more disheartening than to see a brand new subdivision put in that has nothing but lawns, yew bushes and dyed mulch for the landscaping on every single house<

See my above depiction of the high density re-development that is occurring here. In addition to the installation of mixed used behemoths I described previously this trend includes rows of conventional single family houses with yards being replaced by townhouse style ones (if not actual condos) that fill most of the designated space. And may often go up 3 stories, to loom over the vicinity. Even on small lots.

Once such conversions occur there is little, if any room for planted vegetation of much consequence - certainly not eventual landmark trees that will produce significant environmental benefits like large pools of summer shade.

whaas_5a thanked Embothrium
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.