cassiemaher01

Advice on patio designs that doesn't make the inside of the house dark

cassiemaher01
5 år siden

Looking for advice, experiences etc on patio designs that doesn't make the inside of a house dark.

We are looking at building a patio to provide outdoor entertaining and shelter from the heat/rain for us and our dogs. We are based in Brisbane so having a plain clear roof isn't really an option due to the heat in summer. Our house is low set brick and we already struggle with natural light.

We quite like the design in the first photo but obviously that's not waterproof, so adding a glass sheet or Polycarbonate Roof sheeting on top could be an option (similar to image 2). Has anyone done something like this and is it functional? We are trying to avoid something like the last photo, even with sky lights or clear strips we feel it will still be too dark.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance

(8) kommentarer

• kirby_glass
    5 år siden
    We had a similar issue and are in Perth. We did polycarbonate sheets in opal. So they are light coloured but cut 50% of heat but let lots of light in. They come in 3 different profiles.
    cassiemaher01 thanked kirby_glass
  • cmnaustralia
    5 år siden
    Have you thought about electric louvres which can completely open vertically to let light in or similarly close for rain heat etc.
  • julie herbert
    5 år siden
    A Vergola would be a perfect solution for your area, you can have it open or closed at the touch of a button controlling light and shade or a pergola with battens or screens these would give some shade and attach a clear roof for rain protection
    cassiemaher01 thanked julie herbert
  • oklouise
    5 år siden

as always depends on budget but i'm wondering if a steep gable roof at right angles to the main roof with a raked ceiling and solar roof vents would allow better ventilation with enough headroom for a ceiling fan and adding some panels of transluscent insulated polycarbonate closer to the house would help avoid the overshading ...we've used a diy double layered polycarbonate and there are insulating products available eg Arcpanel and, to improve light inside the house (or under a dark alfresco roof) consider Solar Skylights (not hole in the roof) like Arcol or illume brand that we use with excellent results for a modest investment, DIY installation and no risk of roof leaks

• PRO
    Emanate & Co
    5 år siden

Cassie, we talk about this a lot. Hopefully the blog link below will shed some light (no pun intended) onto the subject for you.

Balancing light & heat in your outdoor living area

• siriuskey
    5 år siden

I love the Vergola pergolas, look great and suit any weather situations, keep it simple

• lynnarmington
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

Adjustable louvres are good but expensive and still decrease the amount of light coming through, even when set at maximum. Two other options that allow you to maximise light when you want are either a shade sale set up to easily be removed, or a better option is a retractable roof which can automatically slide back to permit full sunlight, or to go part way to still give some shade. I think the retractable design is the best option and should be cheaper than the vergola type option. I'm in the west and a retailer here doing these are Bozzy, and I think there are others.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.