kdlandscapemanagement

Magnolia virginiana

KD Landscape
5 år siden
sidst ændret:5 år siden

While many authorities list cold hardiness as zone 5 most of us in northern Illinois use sweet bay Magnolia sparingly unless we are working in the zone 6 micro-climate near Lake Michigan. Last year we did a project about 30 miles west of Chicago and as I was doing the initial site analysis/inventory I looked up and thought, "Geez, I think that's a sweet bay Mag." And indeed it was/is.

Existing soil on site is clay loam. Mag is roughly 22' tall if I triangulated correctly. It looks healthy, happy, and has probably been in the ground there since the early nineties. Wondering if anyone out there is using M. virginiana or known cultivars successfully in zone 5? See photos below.

(10) kommentarer

• maackia
    5 år siden

I’m in west-central Wisconsin, so mention of a Sweetbay Magnolia hardy in the upper midwest definitely grabs my attention. A few years ago I tried M. v. ‘Northern Belle’, but it died to the ground during an average z4 winter. Were you able to get any information on this tree? It looks great.

KD Landscape thanked maackia
  • dbarron
    5 år siden

z4 sounds like a big push to me, but the tree is probably hardier than I think.

KD Landscape thanked dbarron
  • PRO
    KD Landscape
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

@maackia.....original homeowner long gone so no information available. I did advise new homeowner that the tree was uncommon out in the burbs and they are getting plant health care for the Magnolia as well as three other existing trees on site. End of available information.

• maackia
    5 år siden

Thanks, Dave. I’ll be looking for this clone, which was developed by Earl Cully, who is best known for the Heritage river birch. It’s probably impossible to trace the background of the OP’s tree, but considering Mr. Cully was from central Illinois, it could very well be M. v. ‘Jim Wilson’.

KD Landscape thanked maackia
  • PRO
    KD Landscape
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Thank you @arbordave. Interesting for sure.

• dbarron
    5 år siden

Mine is Jim Wilson, it tends to have a slight bit of 2nd flush of flowers as well. But even in z7 here, it's just barely evergreen. It loses most of it's leaves by March, just before the new growth starts in April. Flowers appear in June and July at the terminal ends of the new growth.

I've tried it twice, first time on a former property. Even though they can grow in swamps, it didn't like saturated summer soil with high temperatures (phytophthora country). Second time (where i live now) successful with a winter/spring saturated soil. It has held up well in summer drought too. It has gone from 4-5 foot to 16 in 4 years. It's finally looking like a tree (though a small one).

KD Landscape thanked dbarron
  • PRO
    GreenTec Nursery
    5 år siden
    Sweet bay magnolia is more hardy than it's given credit for. It's an uncommon landscape tree in our area, but you do come across it - From what we've seen, trees with northern phenotypes take the winters a lot better. Northern types drop their leaves in the fall, whereas the Southern variety holds its leaves. In Southern Indiana, they do really well - The further North you go, the more you risk heavy winter damage. The Indianapolis Museum of Art has some decent specimens in their gardens, but they always look like they'd rather be somewhere else in the winter!

Just from casual observation, they actually seem to survive better on the North side of buildings, which seems counterintuitive - It seems that the soil remains frozen more consistently, which means they break bud later in the Spring, and the trunks remain protected from winter sunscald.
    KD Landscape thanked GreenTec Nursery
  • l pinkmountain
    4 år siden

We have three huge ones, planted maybe in the 1920's, growing in zone 5b about 120 miles east of Chicago, in south central MI. Wetland area beside a man-made pond. Surprised the heck out of me when I moved here!

KD Landscape thanked l pinkmountain
  • Embothrium
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

The explanation for trees (of any kind) seen in swamps in nature getting root rot in cultivation is the difference between the total set of conditions in the wild setting and in the cultivated one. For instance a low muddy spot in a housing development is not the same as a pristine peat bog.

KD Landscape thanked Embothrium
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.