webuser_560286763

Do an accent door or normal one?

Nicole at home
5 år siden

We are having a door installed in the archway shown on the left side of the room (this will be closing off our office space), my question is should I do something fun and make it a colored door, a white door or match it up with the rest of the doors? Note: the furniture and decor shown is not ours, I plan to go with a white slip covered couch and a more transitional or California coastal style. We are also redoing the fireplace in a few months and adding dark brown wood shelves to the right of the fireplace. Door will be squared off instead of arched.

(19) kommentarer

• Toni Hamlett
    5 år siden
    Interesting would be French doors to allow in light yet give some privacy. As for color match the rest of the house unless you want it to really stand out. Best of luck
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 år siden

I wouldn't do an accent on this wall. There is enough going on. Blend with wall. If you want noise control do a solid door that matches other doors in the house. That way it will look intentional and not a "add on". Looks like a really pretty home!

• PRO
    Fairway Style Living
    5 år siden

Hi, Nicole--

For pass-thru openings like this, I always try to use either French doors or butler doors that can be flexed open to allow easy passage. I like to use them most in openings between kitchens into dining rooms that can't for one reason or another accommodate sliding pocket doors. Cheers!

• Nicole at home
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Here is another angle, the only reason I was shying away from a French door is because there are already two sets of French doors in the room

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 år siden

You don't really have room for a French Door, but a single panel glass door would be fine, IF you have room for it to swing into the next room?? I would duplicate the look of the French doors with a single door. That would look more intentional and original.

Everglades Island, New House, Palm Beach, FL · Mere information
    I do like the way they squared off these openings but did a decorative look above and around. Might not want to get rid of that curve? Adds character to your room.

• cpaul1
    5 år siden

I would do a glass pane door painted the color of your trim.

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    5 år siden

I would do a stained wood door, since you appear to have a slightly Spanish style home.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 år siden
    Arched door would be lovely, but very expensive and install labor not cheap either but I would like arched the best. Just depends on your budget and how much work you want to tackle.
  • cawaps
    5 år siden

My first instinct was to just match the trim and doors throughout, but if you are installing dark brown wood shelves to the right of the fireplace, it might be nice to balance that with a similarly dark wood door on the left. Hard to judge without having a clearer idea of what you have in mind for the shelves.

Lupins, that isn't an arched opening to the right of the fireplace, it's a mirror. I would have been fooled too if I hadn't remembered the comment about installing shelving there. Actually, I was fooled, since I thought, "Why is she planning to install shelving in front of that doorway?"

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 år siden
    Yes, it is an indented space with mirrors. I would remove the mirror and keep the curved looks but not sure the cost for curved door would be cost justified. Depends on how long the OP plans to keep the home and resale values in the area.
  • Nicole at home
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Yes, we did think about a curved door but it’s quite a bit more expensive to get a custom door and we plan to get rid of the arches and square them off.

• justcallmepool
    5 år siden

I can’t imagine getting rid of those arches, but to each their own. Maybe you could do an arched transom above a glass door, either single or French. Then the door can be a regular sized door and coordinate with your double doors to the left.

• larecoltante Z6b NoVa
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

The arches add a lot of charm and character. It would be a shame to lose them. I would photoshop squared off doors to see if you are happy with the change.

• Bri Bosh
    5 år siden
    I agree with previous posters; keep the arches. They are what gives the home character and are keeping it from looking cookie cutter builder grade.
  • PRO
    Gialluisi Custom Homes
    5 år siden

You should consider adding Frech doors - they match the overall style of your home, look amazing and allow easy access from one room to the other.

Check out some of our homes at www.gialluisihomes.com and get inspired.

• arcy_gw
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

Glass door, painted same as trim so not to be a distraction. HUGE mistake to lose the arches. If the door is SOLID, it will be a point of interest. People will spend a lot of time wondering what/who is behind the door. The book shelf also can be done with the arch preserved, and again I think the view through a glass door will balance against a book shelf better than a solid. It would be similar to doing nothing to the left side which would make the room feel like it lists to the right.

• Nicole at home
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Hmm okay we will have to look for a rounded top door.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 år siden
    If you have an architectural warehouse near you, they are a great source for unique doors. Try there.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.