rhian_evans56

Architect plans awful- do I have to pay?

Rhian Evans
5 år siden

So we've just had initial 2d plans from architect and they are awful. Apart from the fact they don't fit the brief they are massively inaccurate.

Doors and walls are in wrong places and measurements appear to be massively inaccurate. For example the kitchen is half the size it should be in the initial plans

I would normally be happy to go back and ask for corrections and give benefit of the doubt but my concern is that these are the plans the builders will use so need to 100% trust they will be accurate.

We have signed a contract to instruct the work

What should I do? Go back and give her a chance to correct the mistakes. Or say we don't wish to use her because of the mistakes? If we went with the latter would we still be liable to pay her.

Or are initial drawings only rough to give the client an idea and a case of crossed wires maybe? I needed them to be accurate to help me decide what I want as the size of the extension is the problem we are having most difficulty deciding on

Not a great start Please help

(4) kommentarer

• Rhian Evans
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

(On a different note- does anyone know why I cant post from my phone. The text goes all funny when I try to reply to anyone and I have to use my computer. Thanks)

• Jonathan
    5 år siden
    I think you need to brace yourself for bumps in the road because there will be plenty building an extension.
    I think you need to clarify if the plans produced are supposed to be finished quality or are they just produced by a junior to check that creatively they are heading in the right direction.
    If it is supposed to be a finished product but is inaccurate and demonstrates a failure to listen to the brief then you need to give them another chance as it may be a failure in your communication.
  • Sonia
    5 år siden
    My brother was complaining the other day about the architect’s drawings on his latest job. Measurements were missing and the staircase design was unworkable. He’s had to arrange a meeting between the architect and the staircase company to try and find a solution. Also the new roof frame was supposed to be delivered ready constructed, which meant closing the road, at a cost of £2500, and arranging a crane to lift it in place. My brother said it would be far cheaper to employ a chippie and build the roof frame in situ. He got his way. I’m sure there are some great architects out there, but there are some that just aren’t.
  • PRO
    IMBY3 Architecture & Design
    5 år siden

There seems to be a few issues at play here....

Firstly, your architect should clearly communicate with you whether the drawings are concept drawings, planning drawings, building control or construction drawings. Each different type will contain different information, so if you don't know what type you have I would advise you ask.

Secondly, what were your payment terms with your architect? When we're working on private residential projects we break the project down into 3 phases and only charge for each phase on completion of the work carried out. So you shouldn't be in a position where you're tied into an agreement that you can't get out of.

Also, we set our fees as fixed prices for each phase and fully understand that the best design will need to go through several iterations before it's good to go. In fact I never anticipate that the first draft will be issued without revisions. Design is dialogue, so it requires the client's feedback and comments to fine tune. Our fee doesn't change depending on the number of changes required - the only time we would charge an additional fee would be if the brief changes or the scope of work grows. If your architect is expecting to be paid for work you're not happy with I would suggest there is something not right there. Check your agreement and see what it says about what your architect will deliver in return of payment.

And thirdly (and probably most importantly), if there are such basic errors on your drawings I would say they're as good as useless. Once you've lost trust in the reliability of a drawing it can be difficult to win it back. The mistakes you've seen are only the ones you've spotted. There's a good chance that there are hidden mistakes too, and they could lead to costly issues on site. As a minimum the drawings should be accurate, regardless of whether or not you like them. For that reason alone I would say you shouldn't pay for the work until it is at least free of basic error.

I hope that's helpful. Good luck with the project!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.