aigredoux

Help!!!! with foyer lighting

Butternut
5 år siden

More pictures of my entry available here:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5590054/how-would-you-decorate-this-entry#23596189

I'd like to replace the wrought iron "tuscan" looking foyer pendant. The current pendant is 38" high and about 20" wide at the widest point. I'm very nervous about getting the correct size, since everything I like seems to be a substantial investment. I'm not worried about the amount of light it gives off, as there is a lot of other lighting and we rarely turn it on for everyday life. I REALLY don't want something too big.

Current pendant, walls will be painted.

Current pendant

Downstairs of foyer area. That semiflush mount is going too. New rug etc to arrive soon.

I want something classing, not trendy or modern at all. Aged brass would be my first choice of finish.

Is the current size good, should I mirror that?

Any of these seem to be what I'm looking for?

Hudson Valley Larchmont, 38"hx20"w

Hudson Valley Milbrook 34"hx14"w...too small??? I do like the narrower proportion of this one.

Visual comfort arch top large tapered lantern 43"hx26"w - too big???

I think the light I chose for my dining room is too large, but I have to live with it, so I'm really scared of it being too big. Especially because these are all like $2k. Help!!

(25) kommentarer

• gypsyrose17
    5 år siden

I would go ahead and paint, etc. first to get a better idea of what actual fixtures will look right in the space.

Butternut thanked gypsyrose17
  • PRO
    Edvivi Lighting
    5 år siden

This would look great in your foyer.

https://www.houzz.com/products/4-light-antique-black-semi-flush-mount-beaded-drum-crystal-chandelier-prvw-vr~48539039?lid=35054314

4-Light Antique Black Semi Flush Mount Beaded Drum Crystal Chandelier Glam · Mere information

Butternut thanked Edvivi Lighting
  • PRO
    Edvivi Lighting
    5 år siden

How about this over your stairs?

https://www.houzz.com/products/4-light-antique-copper-globe-cage-globe-chandelier-clear-glass-sconce-prvw-vr~103908901?lid=79358920

4-Light Antique Copper Globe Cage Globe Chandelier Clear Glass Sconce · Mere information

Butternut thanked Edvivi Lighting
  • PRO
    Butternut thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Butternut
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

I don't think the paint will change the size requirements?

The round ones look to be too small based on the calculators I was using?

Beverly, do you think that is big enough? It's certainly cheap, but smaller than what I have fairly substantially. Also don't know if I can take more ORB, since the house is pretty full of it!

• gypsyrose17
    5 år siden

The paint may not change the size requirements, but may change your mind about the metal or style.

• Butternut
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

I'd also consider something like this shape/style.

37.5"hx18.5w"

Not sure if it's big enough though.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 år siden

The lantern is 5" less than your fixture but that 5" is mostly just decorative metal leaves. I think this fixture might work, but the height it's mounted will determine how successful

It's also available in a combination of bronze and aged brass.

Butternut thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Butternut
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

How high would you recommend mounting it? It sort of hangs over the banister, I don't want it to be too close to feel like someone will bump their head.

If that size is ok, then I have more options that are less $$, what about something like this? 33.25"hx18"w

https://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/mill-and-mason-bryan-aged-brass-five-light-pendant-2078928.htm

• kmg11
    5 år siden

I had to laugh, we had one of those 'tuscan looking' ones too, same spot!

My first thought for these lights has nothing to do with their beauty and presence, but more about....How will I clean this thing and how will I change its bulbs? :/

So, along that line, I wouldn't choose anything that can collect a lot of dust. Shades or glass with bottoms facing the ceiling would be a no. I have a dislike of viewing a collection of bugs from beneath. :(

Any style you're going for? Other fixture finishes?

Butternut thanked kmg11
  • Butternut thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • Butternut
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Wanting a very classic, preppy, “old money” type of feel if that makes any sense. Not flashy, glam, or modern at all. Not rustic.

Door hardware and all other lights in the house are ORB. All trim is cream (close to SW Navajo white). Floor is oak.

Plan to replace the rest of the lights in succession but starting here, as it seems to be the biggest and most expensive.

This is my dining room light, which is new

I did order these for the kitchen but they are on backorder and haven’t received.

these are lights I am considering for other areas of the house but have not purchased yet. Always trying to make sure it all works together.

potential family room:

Potential for entry right above door:

Potential piano room:

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

I like the brass Bellacor fixture for your home. The only way to determine the correct height is to rig a hook at the electrical box and use the chain to temporarily hang the lantern. That will allow you to raise and lower the fixture until you determine the correct height. I wish there was a formula, but this is a complex three dimensional space and the lantern gets viewed from lots of angles so there no easy answer.

All brass doesn't make the same strong statement as the bronze.

• Butternut
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Huh. Thanks for the mock up! That seems smaller and higher than I think I would want. Really don’t want bronze though.

• gypsyrose17
    5 år siden

If you haven't already, you should check out Lamps Plus website, they have hundreds+ of entry lights in a myriad of styles and finishes and price ranges.

• PRO
    Edvivi Lighting
    5 år siden

Or check out Edvivi Lighting's page on Houzz. We have great prices right here on Houzz

https://www.houzz.com/user/edvivilighting

• nikkimer555
    5 år siden

How about this- Round Brass/Beveled Glass lantern

Size-31-H" plus 7" chain D-16"

Great price-$550

• highdesertowl
    5 år siden
    I agree with kmg11. This is a fixture that is hard to reach for cleaning. unless you plan to get out the big ladder every few weeks, stay away from glass enclosures and panels. Dust collects so quickly on fixtures. Definitely use LED bulbs and a dimmer switch, so you can perfectly control the light
  • Butternut
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

Well, I clean the one that is there...I lean over and grab it and pull toward the railing, clean it, then let it go.

I also found this one at Ballard: https://www.ballarddesigns.com/breakers-4-light-lantern/lighting/indoor-lighting/chandeliers/433918?listIndex=48

Which I think is the same one that is seen on this blog here with a somewhat similar staircase to mine, maybe even a little bigger?

http://www.elementsofstyleblog.com/2018/09/an-exciting-big-project-to-share.html?epik=dj0yJnU9SENzaGxGbUEzRFBtRzM1Y2FkNnktNGRiMHJyd0NETXgmbj1Db1NxWlJQTkxNR3hiQS1rR1hZWFpBJm09MyZ0PUFBQUFBRnhkbkRZ

• gypsyrose17
    5 år siden

It does look exactly like the one in the blog. I like it too :)

• Butternut
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

I like it too. And I like the price :)

I am struggling with a coordinating but not matching semi flush mount or small lantern to go above the door.

I like a globe style

Or lantern style

But I don't think those match very well together...

• bac717
    5 år siden

I'm in the process of shopping for a new fixture in our entry and am seriously considering this one. I wonder if it might be a contender for your semi-flush mount.

Butternut thanked bac717
  • gypsyrose17
    5 år siden

I think the issue with the ones for above the door is that they look more like copper than brass.

• Butternut
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

bac717 is that a Minka Lavery?

https://www.lightsonline.com/minka-lavery-4445-582-laurel-estate-4-light-pendant-in-brio-gold

?

Pretty!

Yes, gypsyrose, I think the finish has to match pretty closely and so hard to do that online with everyone having a different idea of "brass" and "antique brass" and "gold" and whatever else...

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.