joelcoqui

Can I do this by my support beam?

joelcoqui
5 år siden
This is a kitchen from a famous designer in Florida and I’m wondering if I can do this in my kitchen. Would it look good? Electrician said not an issue but I’m not sure of the look with the pendants hanging behind the beam? This photo also shows a much higher ceiling then my standard 8 foot ceiling. Second pic attached is of my situation. The entire sheet rock structure is coming down . The iron beam is 1 foot below my 8 foot ceiling height and is directly above my island.

(13) kommentarer

• njmomma
    5 år siden

Not a Pro.

People implement support beams into their designs all the time.

Some inspiration:

Arts & Crafts Kitchen with Island & Paneled Refrigerator · Mere information

Structural Support Beams · Mere information

Cool and Collected - Designed By David Kiljanowicz · Mere information

• PRO
    Desa Design Studio
    5 år siden

I believe you are referring to the header, not a vertical beam, correct? It's difficult to tell what it is you are asking based on the image of your existing space. Regardless, with 8' ceilings you will probably want to stick with a cool flush mount or semi-flush and be conscious of how low it drops height wise.

• joelcoqui
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Yes header,,,or I support beam. But I do have both situations. My main concern was the horizontal support I-beam header.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 år siden

I think if it sits directly over the island then some small drops might work It is hard to tell from your picture so maybe take one from further back. BTW what is in that drop now it seems huge for such a small space . Are redoing the whole kitchen ? I actually don’t like the kitchen in your inspiration pic the lights in that don’t work for me at all. If you are doing the whole kitchen maybe post the new plan too.

• PRO
    Desa Design Studio
    5 år siden

I agree some sort of plan would really be helpful in order to give proper advice on this one.

• joelcoqui
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Dont have a plan. replacing all old cabinets. Everthing stays the same except putting slide in range where fridge is. and Fridge moving down the wall.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 år siden

IMO you need a plan since this space will feel much different and could possibly have a much better layout than before.At least post a floor plan the picture does not give me any idea of the space. BTW a fridge next to a range is nver ideal.

• User
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

“This photo also shows a much higher ceiling then my standard 8 foot ceiling.” And that is why giant blobs right in your face will never ever work.

You have to deal with the house you own, not the house you wish you owned.

That inability to visualize what is right in front of your own eyes is why you need to be working with a GOOD Kitchen Designer. Not a cabinet salesperson.

• joelcoqui
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    This is what the designer came up with. Minor minor changes because the plumbing and the flooring is staying where it is. Cannot raise beam Into the floor joists. I can only work with what I have. I will gain 3 inches after that sheet rocking comes off. Yes it is quite bulky. I guess I really want hanging pendants that’s why I’m trying to find ways around it. My island will be 40 inches wide so I won’t be hitting my head. Some semi flush fixtures is an option. The piers you see in the background is the new cabinets. We are starting.
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    5 år siden

HI Joel! I don't see why you could not with the structure as is. You just need to be sure that the person making your pendants has connected with the electrician to see how he has changed the area. Do you already have pendants in mind?

• joelcoqui
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Shakuff whatever I choose, they must be shallow and wide. something of this nature

• joelcoqui
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.