debbiefantigrassi

Kitchen Remodel Something Looks Off

The tall cabinetry to the left and right is pantry space. 3” molding will be installed above the cabinetry. The center storage below the granite will be wine racks. A glass subway tile back splash will be added behind the shelves. The shelves have been permanently installed before the backsplash. (I don’t understand why)
My issue is the shelving area, something doesn’t look right. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! TIA

(21) kommentarer

• lizziesma
    5 år siden

Attached to wall or cabinets? Love your floor, what is it?

• PRO
    Sage Cottage Architects
    5 år siden
    I think part of the issue is that the granite below is so thin compared to the shelves and is a different color. I also think shelves like that should float, not be wedged in between cabinets. Could that possibly be what bothers you?
  • Jennifer Smith
    5 år siden
    They would look better if they weren’t as thick and if they were same color as the cabinets.
  • PRO
    Sage Cottage Architects
    5 år siden
    I do agree that matching the cabinets might be a good solution.
  • debbiefantigrassi
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    The shelves are attached to the cabinetry.
  • mnmamax3
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

I don't think it's that bad. The big mismatch is the brown shelves and the black granite but if that is repeated throughout the kitchen, it will work. What color is the glass tile? I would suspect the shelves needed to be secured to the wall not the tile, but I'm not sure. Is this a drink station? What will be on the shelves? I think once you have the stuff in/on it, it will come together.

• debbiefantigrassi
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Lizziesma: the floors are chiseled Leonardo travertine
  • PRO
    Maraya Interior Design
    5 år siden

Hi there, there is nothing really wrong here. I don't see a crown molding, or any place for a crown molding above the cabinets. That's what you are missing. And yes, the slab is shiny and too thin, but it will all flow once you have your glass tile in the back of the cabinet shelves. The cabinet maker generally comes in first, then the tile goes on. these are not adjustable shelves, so he put them in already. Tile is no problem to do it afterward. My suggestion, put crown molding on, put the backsplash tile in, and fill your cabinet with wine and you will be just fine.

• Honu3421
    5 år siden

I would prefer the shorter cabs on the top and the taller cabs on the bottom. You could still have a cross piece in your door that lines up with your counter top to carry that line. The current set up looks top heavy and upside down to me. This bothers me more than the shelving. Could this be what seems off to you? The handles or pulls are large and draw attention to themselves. I think simple knobs would be less obtrusive. I would also prefer the two cabs on the right to open as a pair. In other words, switch the hinges for the second cabinet from the right so that it hinges on the left. This would minimize the pulls somewhat and functionally, you could open those two right hand cabs at the same time, which I would prefer when accessing my pantry.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    5 år siden

A couple of things stand out to me

4 thick shelves look heavy to me, and both the top and bottom shelf seem to be at odd heights. I'd lose the bottom one to take some weight off, lose the top one since it's awfully high and anything on it will stick above the cabinet crown. Then I would re-do the middle two to a more open feel (lower the bottom one; maybe raise the upper one a little but not much)

I also agree that the full pantry cabinets on either end seem top heavy.

The left side seems like it crowds the window.

The overall wall has more of a mud room/craft room/home office feel than an kitchen feel. The full-height pantry cabs remind me of lockers and the wine storage of book bag and shoe cubbies.

• chispa
    5 år siden

That wall should of had custom cabinets that were not as deep, to allow the window to have some breathing space.

• vpierce
    5 år siden

You might want to put doors on the wine rack--that's going to be an awful lot of light and heat hitting those bottles.

• lwfromny
    5 år siden
    I agree that what looks odd is the large cabinets on top of the small ones. Especially because of the handle placement of the large ones. It’s just not a natural place to
    put your hand to open that cabinet. Could the cabinets be switched, with the small ones placed on top of the larger ones?
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 år siden

Classic example of design over think, and too many ideas.

Simple storage....extremely convenient : )

OTHERWISE???

A server height base and floating shelves. : ) I didn't post a photo as I am rather OVER floating shelves . In any case, one or the other.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 år siden

I would do the same wood for the counter in that spot,IMO the pantry cabinets are put together backwards the small ones should be oon top or better yey the bottom should be drawers.BTW the handles look silly on those tall cabinets a nice long pull style would have been a better choice.

• teddytoo
    5 år siden
    Your floor is gorgeous, beautiful, stunning!

Can you share what your inspiration was for the kitchen remodel? My brain feels like there are too many styles going on. I’m not sure if it is meant to be modern, traditional, farmhouse.. And I think that’s what is throwing me off. I also think for me, the offset is throwing me off. The larger pantry cabinets to the right and the small one to the left makes it look lopsided. I really like the idea of all cabinets without the drink station and then extend them to the ceiling.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    5 år siden

IMO the top shelf does not belong there.

• PRO
    Legal Eagle Contractors
    5 år siden

Too late to fix this now, but the problem is the thickness of the shelves is out of scale for the space they are placed in, so they look "heavy". They should be about 1.5" thick, at most. I like the contracting color. A nice detail would have been to lay ribbon LEDs in shallow grooves routed in to the back of each shelf 3"- 4" from the back wall. This will light the walls between shelves, and highlight the deco items placed on those shelves.

• grewa002
    5 år siden
    Your kitchen is beautiful. I think that it will look great once the backsplash and the wine storage are installed.
  • H202
    5 år siden

I don't think it looks bad at all, but if i were to make one change, i would probably go down to three shelves, put the top one a little lower and space them out a bit more.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.