dawn_mimnagh

Too many colours?

Dawn Mimnagh
5 år siden

Hi, we have spent the last two years updating our 1950s house. It’s been great fun but now I’m worried that we have used too many colours. My daughter thinks there should be one colour theme throughout the house, whereas we have styled each room separately. I know there is no right or wrong but what do others think? Thanks

(18) kommentarer

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 år siden
    Depends on the colours, any pics?
    Dawn Mimnagh thanked Anthony (Beano)
  • rinked
    5 år siden

It's your home, do YOU like it?

The only theme in my 1950s house is white trim throughout. :)

Dawn Mimnagh thanked rinked
  • Sonia
    5 år siden
    Oops I’ve got a different colour in every room! All soft pastels apart from a navy wall, so there isn’t a massive colour clash.
    Dawn Mimnagh thanked Sonia
  • Dawn Mimnagh
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Thanks! Most of ihe rooms are low key creams, duck egg etc. Its the lounge that worries me - we decided to use quite bright colours as it is a big room. Now I’m worrried that it’s garish

• Dawn Mimnagh
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    What’d you think?
  • Dawn Mimnagh
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    My husband and I can’t see why she dislikes it so much ♀️ She’s is her twenties and likes everything grey
  • Sonia
    5 år siden
    I don’t think it’s too bright. Love your rug! I think grey is a great neutral but it can be oh so dull if everything is one grey tone. Obviously if you want to change it then do, but not just because someone else says you should :-)
    Dawn Mimnagh thanked Sonia
  • Jules Mc
    5 år siden
    Looks like a welcoming cosy room to me. I also like your rug but I'm not a fan of rugs on top of carpet also think it's too small for the space. For that reason I'd lose it and perhaps see does it work better in another room. I'd also pull your sofas away from the walls/windows a little and try experiment to with your cushions. You have neutrals on one sofa and bright colours on the other. Other than that I'd sit back and enjoy the room.
    Dawn Mimnagh thanked Jules Mc
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 år siden
    Ahh, I thought you didn’t like it! Wouldn’t worry too much about it then, if you like it then that’s the main thing, does she have a house? My mum and dads house isn’t to my taste but it done very well and they like it, I help paint etc, don’t mind what the colour is, as long as it makes them smile!
    Dawn Mimnagh thanked Anthony (Beano)
  • tamp75
    5 år siden
    It’s not too garish at all. I was expecting hot pink & lime green splashed over the walls, which might be a bit full on in a lounge (but each to their own)! I would say that your lounge doesn’t appear to be overly ‘modern’ in style, e.g with the greys that your daughter likes, which is probably why it doesn’t get her approval but it does look warm, comfortable & cosy. So if you love it, then relax & enjoy it!
    Dawn Mimnagh thanked tamp75
  • A B
    5 år siden
    I agree with your daughter. However do what suits you it’s your house!
  • Dawn Mimnagh
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

Thanks all. Really helpful. I couldn’t find a rug large enough that I liked can you believe. I might put it into the adjoining dining room which has a wood floor. The larger sofa is not near the wall although you can’t tell in the photo. The room is really big so I guess I thought it could handle the cheerful colours! Good tip about moving the cushions around too :)

• E D
    5 år siden

To give a better impression of the room and its colour(s), photos taken by daylight would be really helpful.

I agree with others as long as you enjoy your home it’s fine.

Your daughter remarked though about one colour scheme throughout the house.

I think she has a point, complementing colours will help a house ‘flow’ better I feel, but of course there are no set rules. :)

• Juliet Docherty
    5 år siden

I don't think you should have the same colours in lots of different rooms necessarily, but it makes sense for a house to look cohesive. Different rooms can have totally a different 'feel' depending on the light levels and that usually determines colours etc.

Dawn Mimnagh thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Dawn Mimnagh
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Thanks all for the lovely and uplifting comments. I am not overly bothered about what people think generally but family have a way of getting to you. Lol! I am reassured as well as inspired. Thanks again :)

• PRO
    Cormar Carpets
    5 år siden

Hi Dawn, not at all! We love the colours – we think it looks like a very cosy, comfortable living room.

• Houzz-bruger-ID-804291259
    5 år siden

You have a lovely room. Each to their own. As long as you like the colours that's all that matters.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.