ew_ws

Kitchen wall - splashback?

Ewa Mc
5 år siden
sidst ændret:5 år siden

Hello

I’ve had a new kitchen installed recently (it is white gloss, not blue :)) and would like to put something across the back wall (where the hood is)

I like the idea of white splashback (practical and easy to clean), but not sure what colour will look good, what do you think?

(40) kommentarer

• Tani H-S
    5 år siden
    Stainless steel (although a pain to keep clean!) would look good. White glass would be discreet and neutral.
    Alternatively you could do clear glass which screws onto the wall so you can put kitchen wallpaper behind it to change the look when you want
  • Jonathan
    5 år siden
    Can you get a tall piece of worktop upstand put behind the hob?
  • rinked
    5 år siden

I'd suggest a 90cm wide extractor (box design, fill out the space between cabinets) and a satin glass panel under it (it's back sprayed in the same white as your walls).

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 år siden

I would go with color from your counter top to tie up with and make cabinets to pop up. I see there is some cream/ivory/off-white?

• Ewa Mc
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Hey, thanks for suggestions.

Would you go for splash back just for the hob area or across the whole wall?

i like the idea of white/clear splashback. Rinq, I’m not quite sure what you mean by the extractor box (my extractor is new)?

By the way, cabinets are white, no ivory/cream.

• Lena
    5 år siden
    Being slow, it took me a while to realise that the kitchen is covered in the blue protective film
    Meanwhile, I really like stainless steel splash backs when they are placed behind the hob. The rest of that wall could be painted, as otherwise the kitchen could be too cold (or it’s just me).
    My friends had a red wall inherited from the previous owners, and painted it pastel sage green, both colours looked great on one wall only (I e instead of a glass splash back which could be costly while not necessarily needed as your kitchen has a border along the worktop).
  • Lena
    5 år siden
    I am planning a new kitchen as well. So it’s interesting which supplier you used and how did you like them?

I am not keen on Howdens approach to negotiating prices, so think about Ikea, Wickes and Crown kitchens at the moment.

Any recommendations?
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 år siden

Lena! Start please your own tread, you will get more help not hijacking this post.

• PRO
    User
    5 år siden

We have glass to match the colour of the wall and we love it. You can just make it out in this picture.

• Lena
    5 år siden
    celerygirl, it was an innocent and short question, and certainly not a one which would justify your comment.
  • Lena
    5 år siden
    Ewa Mc, my question was addressed to you. I really like the look of your new kitchen.
    If you would not mind me asking, which brand did you use and what do you think of it now?

On topic - glad splash back looks great on MATH’s picture!
  • Ewa Mc
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Hi Lena, sorry for a late reply, been busy painting, tidying up... never ending :-)

i went for Ikea (but not their fitters - I recommend finding a good carpenter:-)). Did my research and was most confident with ikea (plus Which? had great reviews). Highly recommend using their online kitchen planner and visiting store for a free appointment (we did 3-4 of them!;). also, we didn’t use ikea worktops - found a local company who provided the granit. Also, didn’t use ikeas appliances. I hope it helps :)

• Lena
    5 år siden
    Hi Ewa, thank you, you made my day! Your new kitchen looks great, it’s not long before you’ll be able to enjoy using it.
  • J B
    5 år siden
    @Ewa Mc - can I ask what granite you used?
  • Ewa Mc
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Sorry, still a bit messy but getting there.... still can’t decide on the colour if splashback but tempted by white or a bit grey (the kitchen and dining area are pretty white

• Ewa Mc
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Joan, it was a local granite company (Berkshire, uk) although my friend in London contacted them and they were keen to give her a quote as well. I can provide details if you like. I can’t quite remember the name of granite, can find out if that’s what you need

• J B
    5 år siden
    First of all, lovely kitchen! :) yes, would appreciate the name of the granite. Thanks in advance!
  • Ewa Mc
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

It is called Azul Platino, not sure if it’s industry standard though

• J B
    5 år siden
    Thanks!!
  • Kazza None
    5 år siden
    Celerygirl is often abrupt in her responses. You get used to ignoring it.
  • Ewa Mc
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Wow, coral! Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Do you have a pic of your previous kitchen then :)? Iusually play safe with colours for things that you can’t easily change but I ve seen a few lovely designs where people had a great sense of picking right colours and shades e.g. mint or pale blue.... but I’m not great at it myself (but open to it and ideas!;))

thanks

• Ewa Mc
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Wow! Coral, any pics?:)

thanks for sharing, i will have to get lots of swatches indeed :) were you pleased with your splashback? Did you install it across the whole wall?

• PRO
    AluSplash
    5 år siden

@Ewa I have to say your kitchen reno is inspiring! I love how open and fresh it looks.

I think i would be in the same mindset of what to choose to compliment the grey and white.

I think a light grey or white would look great with what you have, as to not take away from the look.

We actually have two colours i think would work really well with your scheme: 'Arctic White & Warm Grey Metallic'.

Check us out at www.alusplash.com/gb 

An example of how 'Arctic White' may look is featured in our projects - a clients home earlier this year.

AluSplash Splashback: Installer Installations, UK · Mere information

• PRO
    User
    5 år siden

I really like the Arctic White from Alusplash there....

Here's a very pale grey / off white

Now that the lights are off, it is very plain look and I wonder if you might be best off with some tiling all across the back not just the cooker hood area to add interest?

I particularly like these hexagon tiles as the shapes go with your pendant lamps

• Jonathan
    5 år siden
    Do check whatever white you choose. Some whites (especially on glass splash backs) can seem very cold looking and almost blue in daylight
  • Ewa Mc
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Thanks all for ideas and builds! So many options to choose from :)

• PRO
    Brandler London
    5 år siden

I am with "Man ABout the House" on this one.... I think that the glass splashback would look best and be easy to maintain, however there is a cost implication. This is an example of many manufacturer options that are available but give a good idea of the result - https://glasssplashbacksuk.com/

The other option is to use ceramic tiles such as the "Metro" type which you can buy from Topp Tiles - https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/range16/page1/metro-tiles or glass tiles such as https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod46866/mixt-carrara-mosaic-tile.html

I also think that the Alusplash is a good option however my only reservations are the potential for scratch damage and some cooking staining which would not be an issue with glass. What is more there is maintenance required with Aluplash that the panels be protected with Vuplex spray. https://alusplash.com/gb/care-and-maintenance/

Best of luck with your project and don't be afraid to use a different colour other than white but make sure you have good under wall unit LED lighting.

• PRO
    AluSplash
    5 år siden

@Brandler London Thank you for complimenting our product! I would just like to clarify that although AluSplash has a painted surface, it has a special coating to enhance the surface performance; much like any car surface, hence the look of acrylic and glass.

Our panels do not scratch easily, much like glass and have been throughly tested with all leading splashback materials against staining!

AluSplash panels do not require regular maintenance, however Vuplex is a recommended product to minimise the risk of scratching and as any cleaning agent would be used to keep the surface longevity.

We hope that this clarifies the points mentioned above.

• PRO
    Brandler London
    5 år siden

@Alusplash.... in my defence I would point out that what I wrote about your product was straight from your own website in the care and maintenance section - https://alusplash.com/gb/care-and-maintenance/

Some of the quotes from this section of your website are as follows:-

• It is recommended that all Alusplash panels should be protected with Vuplex® spray to prevent the panel surface from any micro-scratches or build up of dirt and grime." - obviously you don't need this with glass
    • Stains caused by certain foods and spices such as squid ink, and turmeric can stain the panel surface permanently hence care should should be taken when cooking with such foods and spices. - your words not mine
    • Ensure that the spout of a boiling water kettle is not directly facing the panel surface. Hot steam, air and/or boiling water released from the spout can cause surface of the panel to be stained or damaged. - not an issue with glass
    • Always place a lid on cooking vessels when boiling any foods or liquids on the cooktop nearest to the panel surface. - this is obviously a concern for cooks as many times anyone cooking on the back rings of a hob would not use a lid
    • Avoid placing metallic or sharp objects like knives and other utensils against the coated surface, as it may cause scratches on the panel’s surface. - refer to my comments regarding scratches.

These are just some of the statements on your Care and Maintenance page, which includes types of cleaning agents that can and cannot be used, cleaning whilst the panel behind the hob is hot, etc., etc.

• PRO
    AluSplash
    5 år siden

@Brandler London, I understand why these points have been mentioned. But please be rest assured, most of these points are recommended for longevity of the product and also as precautionary measures as you would consider with any product.

As you mentioned several comparisons to glass, on of the major pro's is that AluSplash can allow for cutouts for wall sockets and fixtures :)

• PRO
    Brandler London
    5 år siden

@Alusplash... true that you cannot retro install new sockets into glass backsplashes but the glass can be cut for them prior to installation so it is important that locations/positions need to be identified and confirmed once the order is placed.

• caro7342
    4 år siden

hi Ewa what did you go for in the end. we have a similar dilemma! c

• Ewa Mc
    Forfatter
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

We got a glass splashback installed two weeks ago. After a month or so I noticed little dots/stains from everyday use and decided for the most practical (yet probably most pricey option) :). We had various samples to choose from (worth asking for samples, bringing them home and putting them against the wall as your natural light makes so much difference!) and we decided for light grey. White also looks good but we were concerned that we might end up with slightly broken white which might not look that great. Grey looks neat and stylish to me ;)

• caro7342
    4 år siden

Thanks so Ewa really helpful. Our kitchen is so similar layout and colour! Do mean it would be too much white on white? Where did you get the glass from. The grey looks amazing and think we may copy .

• Ewa Mc
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

The white sample looked good but we though that there might be:

- too much white given the cabinets are gloss white

- when you have a slight difference in shades of white, painted wall might suddenly look dirty :)

We used our local company that was recommended to us and they were great :)

https://www.allderglass.co.uk

Good luck with that and send some pics with the splashback place :)

• caro7342
    4 år siden

Thanks Ewa, last question promise! Out of interest was it fitted as one sheet of glass or are there joins. Can't see any in the photos. Thank you!

• Ewa Mc
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

A single sheeT. The company fitted it of course :)

• caro7342
    4 år siden

Hi Ewa We have finally found a company who would make it as one sheet. What colour is yours as love how yours looks? My and my hubbie can't agree currently! How are you finding it in terms of showing marks etc...

• Ewa Mc
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Ha! Excellent :) sorry but I can’t remember the name and it was the only light grey they had (probably for better as the more choice there is the more diffi it is to make a decision:-)). I recommend you get samples/shop brings bigger samples to put against wall to help you decide. I found this great to test and look at it woth different light etc. I got it as it is glass so it’s low maintenance and since I had it installed I haven’t properly cleaned it haha apart from minor dots from tomato sauce and I just wiped with sponge. Love the practical side ;)!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.