decoratingdebhome

Kitchen Flooring Dilemma

Deb
5 år siden

What kind of flooring do you have in your kitchen? Does it match the rest of your home?

Our lower level currently is all wood except the kitchen which is ugly tile. Our intention in our Reno was to pull up the tile and replace with wood to match the rest of the flooring. Our contractor warned us today that most likely he couldn’t match the floor and advised to refinish it all or chose a different floor. The floors were just refinished before we moved in and I don’t want to spend the money to refinish everything (it’s not just this level either— all the floors match upstairs too). Ugh! All told it’s like 3000 sqft of floor. Current kitchen from our family room...

What would you do? Get a close enough match? Go with tile? Refinish everything? Ugh.

(11) kommentarer

• Deb
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Oh yes. It is changing dramitaclly. We hate the current kitchen.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 år siden

Change floor guys. This one is lazy. My guy managed to come very close to the abutting rooms when I put a hardwood floor into my kitchen 16 years ago.

Deb thanked Anglophilia
  • PRO
    Design Alibi
    5 år siden

I would suggest to get a nice contrasting wood to replace your kitchen flooring if he cannot find the same color match. Ex. grey driftwood finish to add an elegant flair.

Deb thanked Design Alibi
  • calidesign
    5 år siden

Try another flooring contractor to see if they can get the kitchen floor to be even with, and match closely to, the existing floor. If it's not possible, go with a new tile that you do like (but not a wood look tile). They should be able to custom stain a new floor to match very closely with your existing floors.

Deb thanked calidesign
  • mnmamax3
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

We pulled up carpet in our LR and added new Brazilian cherry to match. We left the transition board between rooms and it worked out beautifully, but we did have it all refinished at the same time. We did have one area where there was a repair needed after the finish went on (we used Bona HD traffic in Satin) and they tried to mask it off and just re-coat that little area but the sheen was off and they ended up recoating the whole area again (at their expense). I don't think it was anything that was their fault necessarily, he's just trying to manage expectations so you are clear what to expect. Clarify whether your installer is saying the WOOD itself cannot be matched (grade, grain, width, etc) or the stain cannot be replicated or the finish will have a different sheen from one room to the other.

Deb thanked mnmamax3
  • mnmamax3
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

I think your house is really neat, BTW. The arches are very unique! It's a shame you need to redo the kitchen - the finishes look pretty high end, but clearly that island is a no go!

Deb thanked mnmamax3
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år siden

you said your floors were refinished before you moved in. refinished by whom? is that the same company you just called out? Can you find out from the other refinishers what they used (products) and see if they can do the kitchen?

Or, just go with a nice porcelain tile for your kitchen. you have the nice arches which frames your kitchen as 'another space'. I think it would be fine to have diff flooring. The wood would also be nice, but another flooring type isn't going to be bad!

do you know how you're redoing the kitchen?

Deb thanked Beth H. :
  • jhmarie
    5 år siden

I had a flooring company install half my site finished solid hardwood flooring, and then a few years later did the rest. There is about 6 feet where the floors meet running parallel. The floors match perfectly. I have also matched my older kitchen cabinets with a few new pieces I added that I stained to match. It took some experimenting with stains, but I managed and I am not a pro.

Now, if you bought prefinished wood floors, it will be hard to perfectly match them, but you said they had been "refinished", so I am assuming you have site finished solid hardwood.

Deb thanked jhmarie
  • Deb
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Thanks all -- to be fair this was the general contractor and said he'd get the flooring guy out, but it was not a good thing to hear. I like the idea of them trying to blend the edges a bit. We have no idea who did the work before we moved in as the previous owner did it to sell the house.

The kitchen is completely changing. Don't have the final plans yet but we're knocking down a wall, expanding that arch, and moving everything around and putting in a giant island. I cannot wait.

• PRO
    JM Hardwood
    5 år siden

All it takes is some time to figure out color stain, I'm sure if you find the right guy he will match the color. Make sure you get some color samples of stain before having them stain floors, to avoid any more sanding!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.