edgelatt

Kitchen Bar "T" Table Extension - Counter Height or Lower??

edgelatt
4 år siden
sidst ændret:4 år siden

We will be starting demolition on our long overdue Kitchen renovation. In the picture attached, we will be removing the upper drywall bulkhead, installing new cabinets, new granite tops and flooring! Instead of a typical 12" bar overhang, we want to utilize the space more and do an "L" shaped bar top. The photo attached is an example of the size (4'W x 6'L) of bar top we want to do (no cabinets beneath)...It will essentially be a "T" off the Kitchen cabinets, with no base cabinets beneath.

Here's the dilemma, do we:

A) Extend the "L" Bar top at the same height as countertop flush (see image A Inspiration)

OR

B) Drop the "L" Bar top down 4-6" below the countertop height to give it some added dimension (see image B Inspiration)

I am leaning toward "B" as I'm not sure how the T would look flush with the counters. It seems from other ideas I've seen is that if it is same shape extension you do the same height but if it is a projection or "T" that it looks better dropped down 4-6"...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

(7) kommentarer

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 år siden

Not a fan but if YOU like it, go for it!

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    4 år siden

I'm not really a fan of the island ideas, especially if this is going to be the primary eating area. But if you like it I'd go for option B. It's more comfortable to sit at table height rather than countertop height. You also won't have to worry about matching seams in the granite since it won't be the same height.

• edgelatt
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Good point on the granite seams...we have a separate dining room so this will be breakfast/bar area not primary eating. Thanks for your suggestion.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 år siden

Careful - the pictures you are sharing have massive amounts of space. I'm not sure how well this will work with the space you have.

If you are asking which looks better and are 100% sold on the aesthetics and functionality then I would opt for counter height.

If you are not 100% sold post some pictures of the whole area and a floorplan.

Let us know if this is supposed to be additional seating or your only dining table.

Let us know what types of activities you expect to use the space for (kids doing homework, baking, eating, building puzzles). You also have to consider the people who will be sitting here. Are your parents/grandparents going to be eating at the counter - are they able to comfortably use a counter height stool. Do you have small children or are you planning on having children? Kids may have difficulty with counter height stools.

Another consideration is resale. Doing something terribly unique may not be to the taste of potential buyers.

Another option is to get a table that is the size and shape you want with a granite top that matches the kitchen. You can place it next to the cabinets or move it somewhere else if you find that you don't like the way it works up against the cabinets.

• edgelatt
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Jennifer, It is additional seating, we have a separate dining room. The issue I was having, was if we do a typical 12" bar at the cabinets and a separate smaller breakfast table behind the bar - we would only have about 20" between the bar and the table which I believed was too tight (back-back) seating. This is why I feel combining the space with a larger bar top table is best. Here is another photo - the cabinets new layout will shift out another 6" or so, so the table and bar top once added would have been too close together - 20".

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 år siden

Okay, this is where you need a great kitchen designer to step in and help.

Sorry - I am going to be blunt.

With the curved windows, a square chunk hanging out from your counter is going to look like you goofed or didn't know what you were doing when making your plans and did something to try to make things work.

I would opt for a seating area extended from the counter that follows the curves of the window.

I pulled some stuff from the internet, but to make this feel right you will need someone who knows how to design the right counter seating for the space. It will be well worth a couple of hundred to get this right.

• PRO
    DC Interiors & Renovations
    4 år siden

Edgelatt,

I agree with Jennifer that because of your bay window in the dinette that T-shaped table top off peninsula may not look right. Find a kitchen designer in your area to talk about different options. A different cabinet layout (not U-shape with peninsula) might work better. I cannot tell by the pictures you provided what you have on the opposite wall from the sink and how much space you have, but it might be worth looking into galley style with island in the middle. Good luck!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.