unclehippie

Humboldt's Golden Tree Fertilizer

unclehippie
4 år siden

Has anyone here used this fertilizer? It has rave reviews online. Many claim it can bring nearly dead plants back to life.

(9) kommentarer

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 år siden

Snake oil :-) And taking advantage of the fall-out from the cannabis growing market!! And that price is also seriously out of line!!

"Many claim it can bring nearly dead plants back to life."

This is just horse puckey!! NO fertilizer can do that.....it is not what any fertilizer is intended for or is capable of doing. And it is not really a fertilizer at all but a potassium supplement. Does one even need that?? Not unless a soil test tells you so.........

There are no magic elixirs when it comes to gardening - no miracle cures, wonder drugs or super ferts. Just proper growing conditions and attention to care is all that is necessary.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 år siden

and for a shiny penny.. she'll tell you how she really feels ... lol ..

i agree ...and frankly.. am getting to the point.. that i dont believe a single review of anything online.. they pay for those ... so what would you expect ...

trees and shrubs simply dont need fert.. period ... they grow everywhere.. by themselves.. with no help from anyone ... they are not children.. who need to be fed ... [now that i say that.. i wonder if they are vegan ... lol]

all that said ... it probably wouldnt hurt anything ... and if spending money you dont have to pleases you .. well then.. who am i to tell you to not be happy ...

ken

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    4 år siden

There are magic elixirs in gardening--the ones that magically separate a neophyte gardener from his money.

• PRO
    Sustainable Landscape Consultants
    4 år siden

Trees and shrubs in a natural, forest-like floor don't need too much attention, yet plants and trees in the urban landscape need regular attention. I use a sea kelp/worm casting recipe. A great natural fert you can buy is called Sustaine. Its a granular product that is sold at John Deere Landscapes / Site One. Great all around shrub and tree nutrient package.

• Embothrium
    4 år siden

A key phrase from the first response posted here is

Not unless a soil test tells you so...

Mineral content of irrigation water, potting media and soils all determine which, if any minerals need to be supplemented with fertilization. And how much of each mineral is needed. Such circumstances may often vary within the same gardening site, let alone between sites thousands of miles apart - there are no products that anybody can use anywhere and be assured of seeing a shared outcome.

• unclehippie
    Forfatter
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

Thanks, all. We have a 25 year old maple tree that is slow to leaf out on one whole side. This is likely a result of me cutting one of its ~two inch in diameter girdling roots a couple summers ago.

I felt like I needed to do something to try and help save the tree. I applied a slow release fertilizer (Jack's Classic) around it at the beginning of May. I also applied some 12-12-12 a few weeks ago, and despite all the rain we have had this year, I watered in some Humboldts Secret Golden Tree around it a couple times over the last two weeks.

The tree is just now showing some signs of recovery, with leaves beginning to sprout out on half of the tree. I cannot say whether that would have happened without the fertilizer applications or not, though. I don't think applying fertilizer hurt anything (other than my pocket). If the tree ends up not recovering its health over the next couple years, I guess I won't feel as bad since I tried to save it. Although, I may have been mostly applying snake oil.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 år siden

Stop with the fertilizer unless a soil test tells you so. Container plants need fertilizer, but the vast majority of garden and woody plants don’t. The roots will regrow and the tree recover or it won’t, but fertilizer won’t help that unless there are missing nutrients. Unused fertilizers tend to end up in waterways, washed from your yard into groundwater or storm sewers, so though they may not hurt the tree, they may not be good for the wider landscape.

And a word of warning that fertilizer added too late in the growing season, past midsummer, may end up causing new growth of wood that isn’t able to harden off before cold weather.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 år siden

It's a bit of a stretch to call this product a "fertilizer". At best, it is a potassium supplement, as it contains no other plant nutrients. And is not providing any particular benefit to the tree that the standard, all purpose 12-12-12 fert would not have done. And at surely triple the price!!

And using fertilizer or even a mineral supplment to "save a tree" is not a logical assumption. That is not what fertilizers do :-) Parts or sections of trees that are in decline or slow to leaf out or with small or stunted foliage are not due to lack of fertilization nor will fertilization necessarily help. There is something that is affecting the transport of fluids and nutrients to these areas and that could be root issues or pathogens that affect the vascular system........not anything that fertilzers could "fix".

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.