fire_lyon

Color Advice Needed

fire_lyon
4 år siden
sidst ændret:4 år siden

Tried to post this earlier and my photo wouldnt show. Trying this again.

I want to update the color of my house. I am also getting a new roof put on. Im leaning towards the color called weathered wood. i do not know what to paint the house to modernize it. I have brick in different hues of red, orange, black and white on the front of the house. I have included a picture of my home. Thank you for the help.

(33) kommentarer

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 år siden

So the roof will be brown? Similar to what it is now? I would try to pull a gray from the brick to use as the roof color (assuming there is gray in that VERY multicolored brick).

For siding color, you need to select a color from the brick help tie it all together. That yellow does not relate to anything from what I can see.

Honestly, your brick is so overwhelming that I would seriously consider painting it with an approved paint for brick, or staining it to make it less mottled in appearance.

Post a larger, closer picture of the brick.

Unsolicited advice, I know, but I would also enclose those metal posts to add some more substance and change both lights—your house is not Victorian.

fire_lyon thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 år siden

Consider German smear for your brick. That will tone down the purple/red and allow you more flexibility with roof and paint color for the siding. Weathered Wood looks quite warm, but if you tone out the warmer colors of the house you could use a cooler roof and paint color.

fire_lyon thanked decoenthusiaste
  • fire_lyon
    Forfatter
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

This is a close up of the brick. The mortar is dark grey colored. Anna, you are correct, the house is not Victorian. All these lights and structures came with the house when I moved in. The house is a peach color which I hate. The trim was a mustard color. I repainted to the trim and have lived with the peach. Since I have so much brick in the front yard, I think I need to stay warm in color. I was a pondering a warm grey with white trim or a cream with warm grey trim. I also thought of a warm brown with creme trim. The roof --- I can choose one of these four colors. Im leaning towards the weathered wood. Im hoping to pickup samples on Monday. Thank you for the help. Im open to all ideas to improve the house.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 år siden

Would you be willing to paint the brick? It’s really a limiting factor and I don’t normally suggest such a thing, but that is a brutal brick (sorry). Romabio is the paint usually recommended as it is appropriate for brick.

fire_lyon thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • spisland
    4 år siden

I love the weathered wood roof shingles, great choice! I have them on two homes, both done in the 30 year 3 dimensional architectural shingle, not the flat 20 year shingles. I'd recommend the architectural shingles for your home especially! since your roof line is very simple. It would make a better impact :)

Our vac. townhome already had painted brick (by previous owner) on the front, and some stucco, all in a near white. But we repainted it with a bit of color (SW Comfort Gray) when it was time. Since this is a beach town, I could go with a little more paint color next time :)

This home has a very simple roof line, being a townhome, and you'll see some good sunlight on our weathered wood shingles here. I'll post photos soon :)

fire_lyon thanked spisland
  • spisland
    4 år siden

• fire_lyon
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Hi Anna. I agree, the brick is brutal. I was looking at the Romabio last night. I like that its a wash and can be removed. I did not want to paint the brick as I have read brick need to breathe.

• fire_lyon
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Hi Spisland. Thank you for the pictures and the Weatherwood endorsement. 3D architectural shingles is a great idea as you can see a large portion of the roof from the street. I think my house is considered a ranch style.

• cat_ky
    4 år siden

Before you commit to your roofing, make sure that it will actually go with that busy brick. Weathered wood is not a solid color, and you already have brick with many colors. Also make sure the architectural shingles go with your brick pattern too. I love weathered wood, but, I have also seen it with the architectural shingles on brick houses, and it doesnt look all that nice because, you have two different patterns. It looks great on houses with siding. Architectural shingles would look terrible on my house which is all stone.

fire_lyon thanked cat_ky
  • fire_lyon
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Cat_ky thank you! I didnt think about having two patterns. Hmmmmm

• shwshw
    4 år siden

following...

• happyleg
    4 år siden

Love the weather roof color,my neighbor has it.

fire_lyon thanked happyleg
  • groveraxle
    4 år siden

On my monitor, your brick reads cool, not warm, so I installed a black roof and painted a cool gray.

Here is the weathered wood roof which I don't think goes well with your brick. I can't see any paint color that will make those two mesh.

fire_lyon thanked groveraxle
  • shwshw
    4 år siden

That’s great Grover. Calms the brick down and you don’t feel the need to cover it up.

fire_lyon thanked shwshw
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 år siden

German smear will minimize the brick pattern if you prefer the patterned roof. It works well with cottage style homes like yours. You can go heavy or light with the smear.

fire_lyon thanked decoenthusiaste
  • spisland
    4 år siden

Here’s our painted brick on the front side at the beach location. It has stucco on the rear side, which you saw, and stucco on the 2nd floor and firewalls between homes.

This front side photo is older, several years before our new roof was put on. (But we think the prior owners may have chosen weathered wood too.)

Then here is weathered wood color on my small brick home. Taken early day, not full sun, so it appears somewhat darker.

• cat_ky
    4 år siden

Love the last picture that groveraxle posted, with the gray siding and the blacker roof.

fire_lyon thanked cat_ky
  • PRO
    Paintzen, Inc.
    4 år siden

What a fun project! This is the time of year to have your exterior painted. I agree with you that a warm gray or a creamy white would give your home the modern curb appeal you want. We recommend painting either the siding-only which will give your home a fresh update, or paint the brick and siding to get an ultra-modern look. For a warm gray, we recommend PPG's Shining Armor which would pair perfectly with your white doors and trim. This would be the most ideal option. You can also paint your brick and siding a creamy white like PPG's Delicate White which would give it a fresh, clean look. If you do that, however, you'd need to repaint your doors and trim either the same color or another shade like warm gray.

You can order free swatches of both of these PPG colors on our website today: https://samples.paintzen.com/landing/all

Don Torrance

Community Manager

don@paintzen.com

Paintzen

An easier way to paint your home.

www.paintzen.com

fire_lyon thanked Paintzen, Inc.
  • ashtonchic
    4 år siden

I would think about how much heat a black roof will absorb. Do you want that? I would choose something that reflects the heat. I like the German Smear look with a light colored house. Then do a bright colored door.

fire_lyon thanked ashtonchic
  • njmomma
    4 år siden

following

• groveraxle
    4 år siden

German smear, weathered wood roof, cream siding:

• ashtonchic
    4 år siden

Grover - how about a really light gray siding instead of cream??

Also, here is a pretty color combo with brick. Colors look welcoming to me.

Awesome Ranch House Remodel R79 On Simple Design Trend with Ranch House Remodel · Mere information

• groveraxle
    4 år siden

Like this maybe, Ashtonchic?

• ashtonchic
    4 år siden

Thanks Grover, I was envisioning a lighter, icy gray but the smear reads warm on my monitor. The cream looks really good. I would do the door and garage door in another color though. Maybe a warm reddish brown like the awesome ranch house or charcoal for contrast. fire_lyon what do you think?

• fire_lyon
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

I love the green and brown you posted and the smear may look good if I go with the beige smear with that color scheme. I also like the dark grey. Not sure about the orange brown door as it seems to draw attention to the brick. I agree that the garage door and house door should match to give the house some symmetry. Thank you so much for colorizing the house

• ashtonchic
    4 år siden

What green and brown do you love?

• fire_lyon
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

The green and copper ranch house you posted. I also like the grey with the brick and dark roof. Its growing on me. Both are great choices

• ashtonchic
    4 år siden

I thought the green was gray! Both are really nice.

• chloebud
    4 år siden

"Weathered Wood is not a solid color, and you already have brick with many colors."

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Kimberly
    4 år siden

GroverAxle is the MAN!!!! The black roof with grey, looks AMAZING! Also, I agree with removing all of the pots outside and filling the flowerbeds with something. Also, removing the wind chimes and other yard ornaments will make it feel more modern and updated.

• petula67
    4 år siden

I don't hate the brick. The black roof with gray siding looks classy.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.