jem_laun

Victorian house renovation - advice for a newbie :)

jem_laun
4 år siden
sidst ændret:4 år siden

Hello,

A few weeks ago, my husband and I got the keys to what we hope will be our 'forever' home: a 3 bed Victorian semi with lots of original features and scope for extending in the future. We have a fairly modest £25k budget to do the following work:

• Knock through between kitchen and dining room to create a lovely, spacious kitchen diner
  • Create a new utility room and shower room
  • Sand original floorboards downstairs
  • Plastering and decorating all walls downstairs
  • Replace a 70s fireplace with a restored Victorian fireplace

Ideally, some of our budget will stretch to a new bathroom upstairs, however I suspect we will have to save up more money first! I should mention that my lovely dad, husband and friends are doing the demolition work and the kitchen will be fitted by my dad, so that will save costs.

It would be great to get some advice from fellow renovators with tips on how to spread our budget more widely and where to spend money/save money. Thanks :)

(3) kommentarer

• PRO
    Leighton Home Style
    4 år siden

Congratulations on your new home, it sounds like you have a healthy budget if spent wisely....! I would look at using a Howdens kitchen, very good prices, (need a builder/interior designer with a trade account to use them) they have great kitchen styles & colours, they now have a range of kitchen doors which are ready for you to paint in your own paint choice....Spend your money on good worktop surfaces & the appliances to make it look like a V expensive kitchen and longevity! When doing your shower room and bathroom spend money on the taps/shower & bath mixer valves and good toilet cisterns as this will see you through for the next 10 years versus using cheap no name brands..The rest of your listed renovation work can be done relatively cheaply with having a good eye for your finishes. A good decorator will always be the icing on the cake, its definitely worth spending your money on a good plasterer and decorator. Good luck with your project. If you would like any further assistance please get in touch as I offer consultations which provide lots of advice & tips.....

• Huw Buckley
    4 år siden

You will need paint, lots of paint so find a good trade centre like Johnstones for it. Their trade paint has been so much better than what I previously used from B and Q.

• PRO
    Sarah Beeny's Renovate Don't Relocate
    4 år siden

Hello,

I work for Outline Productions and we are making series 2 of ‘Sarah Beeny’s: Renovate Don’t Relocate’, which follows our property expert Sarah helping homeowners transform not just their homes, but the way they use them.

We're looking for homeowners who have a design dilemma and have a budget to renovate, for whom Sarah can provide expert advice and help make your design go further!

If you're interested, please do get in touch - my email is antoniao@outlineproductions.co.uk.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.