webuser_834023016

Cheapest way to build a side return

My daughter has just bought a GF flat in a Victorian terraced house in SW London. When converted in the 1970's(?) a bathroom was added at the back, off the kitchen which incorporates a staircase from the upstairs flat out to their back garden - very typical of the area. We (parents) are experienced in renovation & drew up a v modest plan to add a narrow side return, including a new party wall as there is only a fence at the moment. No drainage issues or other complications. Although the return is narrow (1.4m), it would make a huge difference to the space and add privacy from next door.

She is on a limited budget and I don't think it's worth doing anything larger as the value of the property will always be limited - 1 bed with a shared front door & internal 'front' doors at the bottom of the stairs. The one builder who has visited the site was expensive - assuming traditional building materials - block wall, slated roof with Velux windows rather than steel frame and glass to keep costs down and avoid visibility from upstairs flats. There is no rear access, so we understand why costs are higher.

Has anyone experience of cheaper ways of doing this using alternative building materials? We are wondering if there are any prefabricated wall panels which might suit - possibly requiring shallower foundations which seemed to be a major cost? Any alternative ideas welcome. Thanks.

(5) kommentarer

• PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

Give S.Beeny a call :) see above.

Generally, building in London is just not cheap, and you have probably stated the cheapest method of construction so finding something cheaper will be difficult, assuming one is aiming at meeting the building regulations.

Prefabrication is generally not cheaper but it does reduce the time required on site significantly but one pays for the off site fabrication.

Avoiding adjustments to the drainage is sensible , if one can, but how will this effect the space and is the design being formed around the drainage or the functional requirements and use of the space?

You are right though. It is not unusual to hear of client's looks of disbelief at the cost of building but I think it should be put into the context of what one pays for property in SW london, in this case.

Individuals wanting to develop their assets, don't often see that adding new quality space to a house will equate to adding more value to a property proportionately and that the build cost is a fraction of that added value and quality. So it's often important to take a long term view on these projects.

• PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    4 år siden

As a starting point for a discussion: What was the budget you had in mind ?

An insulated timber framed system or cross laminated timber system may be worth looking at for speed of erection on a trench footing foundation or a ground beam system

One can also cast in steel beams spanning across pads to reduce the dig if shallower foundations are required , to prevent underpinning of a neighbours property for example

Beam and block floors are also a cost effective and quick sub floor system that can be looked at.

Best

O+U

• PRO
    Roger Connolly
    4 år siden

I meet lots of clients who have read about SIPS prefabrication and believe that it is a magic formula to build cheaply. It is suitable for larger areas of work but takes no account of foundations which are a major cost, especially in London with access problems to victorian houses. Sometimes the roof can be part of the SIPS system but again is often not relevant to small projects.

My own experience with SIPS is that it would cost the same or usually less to pay a carpenter a daily rate to build the same thing.

The cheapest way is to break the project into very small pieces and manage that yourself if possible. That way you are not paying a builder a third profit on top of each trade. You could find a project manager to oversee some parts of te heavier work and then organise everything beyond the shell,yourself. It is not an easy task.

• PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    4 år siden

SIPs is an interesting proposal ( for larger scale projects), I was thinking the other day how SIP's systems stand in terms of Part B of the Building regs and fire issues these days?

Bearing in mind that architects are becoming more mindful of the fire related issues generally, even though the revisions to the regulations are related to taller and larger structures.

It's made us look at other alternatives when specifying insulation in systems .

The principle of a composite sandwich panel system formed from materials of low combustibility is still one with merit as you have pointed out. I just think there needs to be another design iteration of the SIPs system.

• PRO
    Tholos Architects
    4 år siden

Hi, I love this thread.

let's look at the options and assume it is permitted development.

Costs lay mostly in:

-workmanship

-rent of equipment

-materials

-design

and pretty much in this order.

Most likely you'll have to knock down a wall and put a steel support. Remove the wastage. These operations must be done by a contractor.

If you have a team of good willing friends, you could dare to go for self-built, fully or partially, or at least let them help out for the internal finishes, as the first option could be quite a responsibility.

Equipment is what it is, if you need to dig you can't use a spoon.

Materials can vary broadly. Terrifically cheap solutions would be walls in adobe, cordwood or strawbale. Or find any depot that has some old stock of stuff to give away.

Or multiple solutions can be worked out to combine different technologies.

Either way, the new "skin" has to be complying with the regulations and pass the building control inspection, some calculations would be useful (read: architect).

And remember that permitted development is "like for like", so the outside walls should match the existing (render or brick).

Good luck and let me know if you need more inspiration or want to share what happened to the project in the end :)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.