webuser_197891127

Help! Stair Dilemma!

KR
4 år siden

I am adding a loft conversion and my builder has suggested an alternative configuration for the stairs to the loft. I've added some pictures to illustrate. The first is the original layout, the second is the builders suggestions. We would lose natural light in the hallway, but gain some space for a wardrobe or desk. Light would come from a velux at the top of the stairs. The 3rd picture is the architects drawing. We are at the point of ordering the stairs and need to make a decision. What is the best option? Does going with the builder make the room more usable or should we go for a light hallway? Any advice would be appreciated.

(11) kommentarer

• PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    4 år siden

Some images of naturally lit stairs

• KR
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Thank you for your reply, all great points. We feel the same about the natural light. After further discussion of the options we think having extra space in the room actually makes it less usuable because of the position of the door. We have now come up with this option below. We think this could be a good compromise.....?

• Maths Wife
    4 år siden

Looks good, you get the best of both worlds!

KR thanked Maths Wife
  • Jonathan
    4 år siden

Personally I would choose to have more space at the bottom of the stairs and no cupboard. The new room on the top of the house will be the best in the house and should have the nicest approach to add to its spacious feeling.

KR thanked Jonathan
  • PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

I think keeping space simple is an art and sometimes difficult and as Jonathan points out the way you approach a space adds to its quality.

"Less is More " could be applied here.

KR thanked Studio O+U Architects
  • Suzanne C
    4 år siden

Rather than a wardrobe, how about putting a desk there? Mini office with natural light?

Another option is a shallow wardrobe?

KR thanked Suzanne C
  • KR
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Thanks everyone for your comments. O+U, less is more is ringing in my ears! Of course esthetically, the architects drawing is definitely the better option. We would like to make the space a little more usable though without compromising the light. Our next thought is to have the winder stairs (possibly with one stair less in the winder so it is not sticking out), but no wall. That way it is still light and leaves the option of adding a desk/cupboard later.

• obobble
    4 år siden

Will the staircase have to be enclosed for fire regs purposes? If so, I think that will affect how the approach to the loft room feels and you should consider that in making your decision. Also, think carefully about the logistics of getting furniture into the room as even flat pack boxes or components could be tricky through an enclosed double winder staircase.

KR thanked obobble
  • PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    4 år siden

Ring Ring :)

I did not want to mention that......but it is effectively a protected route under the BR and a means of escape, where all rooms off of it should have a 30 min fire rating segregation from the protected route. i.e the hall and stair.

Turning it into an open plan office well ....where would one start?

One should not really start to label it as an office without it being segregated or partitioned.

I believe the fire officer would say , if a fire started at that point it would hinder egress and compromise life safety, so would either ask for a sprinkler system ££ to be installed or a fire shutter £££££ or additional wall and Fire door...£

One could do some really cool things with the stair going up to the top floor, if it is kept straight and simple.

The geometry of the stair, aligns with the party wall, is simple and clean ...

Moving the door to the bedroom ( further down the corridor ) will provide the future flexibility one suggest next to the window. and a window seat could be introduced with LL enclosed storage under it later.

This part of a house is circulation which can be enjoyable, practical and safe . It's not the best place to use as storage or as an office.

KR thanked Studio O+U Architects
  • KR
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

We have decided to stick with the architects original design! The builders suggestion really threw us, but all your comments really helped us to work through it and make the right decision for us.

All your suggestions helped us weigh all the options. The aesthetics, usability, firer regs etc.

Thanks again : D

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.