bernicela

Need advice/assistance with a problem "wall" in the kitchen

Bernice
4 år siden
sidst ændret:4 år siden

We are in the planning phase for a kitchen remodel & looking to remove the wall seperating the kitchen from the dining room/living room area, essentially making the kitchen/dining/living room area into an open floor space.

Below is the existing kitchen layout with the wall that we're planning to remove highlighted in yellow:

Here's a picture of the proposed kitchen and the problem "wall" highlighted in yellow:

We are thinking of removing the door that is leading to the hallway area - but this means, we'll see a plain wall while the rest of the room is an open floor concept. Even if the door remains, we'll see a plain wall whenever the door is closed.

One solution is to have custom cabinets done for the problem "wall" = build a shallow cabinet that is connected with the other kitchen cabinets & facing the dining/living room area (see picture below). He quoted me $900 (Cherry with natural stain & simple shaker style) to get this done. Would you have any other suggestions/solutions on how to finish this?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

(9) kommentarer

• Evelyn Gorfram
    4 år siden

Not quite sure I understand the problem. If you put in too much more than a plain flat wall, wouldn't you be sort of closing off some of the openness of the open concept?

(@Jan Moyer, I guess maybe you've never tried cooking with zero counter space between the stove and fridge. Believe you me, OP is making at least one drastically needed, godsend-like, improvement. (They also seem to be getting rid of a clumsily-placed pantry; substantially adding to the built-in cabinets and counters; and increasing the number of available outlets in the kitchen, probably by about a factor of seven.))

Bernice thanked Evelyn Gorfram
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 år siden

If you bake a lot, you might consider doing one for baking sheet storage in the slots. Peninsula looks small and will only seat 2 people. Consider doing a column there with a stack of oven and micro instead and you could have two of these "walls" facing the dining area. One at the oven and micro for the baking sheets and the other one for cleaning supplies. Then you can add a couple of drawers under a cooktop and storage above and below the oven location. Add drawers, rather than deep door cabinets wherever you can.

Baking sheets, memos and keys...

A warm family kitchen with plenty of space for homework and get-togethers:) · Mere information

Here's a handy one for cleaning supplies.

Diamond Vibe: Utility Organizer Cabinet · Mere information

Lots of convenient drawer storage.

Neighbourly relations · Mere information

Bernice thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 år siden

Where does your hallway lead to? Are you restricting access to other rooms by closing it off? Perhaps just take off the door and have a cased doorway.

Bernice thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    4 år siden

Just so I am understanding...

Is it the "wall" to the hallway that you will see once you remove the door?

Bernice thanked Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
  • felizlady
    4 år siden

If you ever do formal entertaining with tablecloth and crystal, having the dining room completely open to the kitchen dampens the mood. It also means that any kitchen mess will be seen from the dining room. If you never have a dress-up gathering, open concept is acceptable.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 år siden

Don't need a cabinet, just decorative end panels as someone above suggested.

• Bernice
    Forfatter
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

Here is the entire floor plan - existing & proposed:

Here are few pictures of our current (non-functional) kitchen - an original from 1950's. (Excuse the mess!) as well as some from the dining room as perspective to see that wall area.

felizlady - We rarely entertain so we are not concerned about closing off the kitchen from view.

• PRO
    DC Interiors & Renovations
    4 år siden

Bernice - I would not suggest closing off the hallway. You can make it into a cased opening vs a door. Also, you can put a decorative panel on the end cabinet or add some storage if you need it. Good luck!

Bernice thanked DC Interiors & Renovations
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.