netty74

Kitchen splashback - help needed please!

Netty
10 år siden
We are installing a new kitchen, and need advice on splashback tiles.
Cabinets are all gloss white acrylic doors (sorry most still have blue protective seal on in the pics). Kicker boards will be brushed steel, and bench top is Shi*take Casesarstone. Flooring is Burnt Oak (its a warm brown but looks a bit grey in pics due to dust). The far right feature wall cabinetary is gloss dark brown wood grain. The door frame and window frame will be stained in a walnut.

We have taped up a few white subway tiles, but i think its too much white/too clinical. your thoughts?? Can we soften the white with accessories, or should we go for a tile colour that tones in with shi*take? or other ideas? Thanks!!

(24) kommentarer

• PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    10 år siden
    You might want to look at some textured materials like rough or pebble stone. Like you I thnk the white subway tile is not the way to go. Also, I'd keep the color light as you have enough dark contrast. Frosted glass, stacked stone, or white on white mosaic featuring gloss, and matt together.
  • Netty
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks Jeffrey. I LOVE the look of rough/pebble stone, as i love to mix up textures. My main concern though is how easy/difficult that might be to keep clean, especially behind the cooktop? Does sealer help? I have no idea if this is a major problem or not. Cheers
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    10 år siden
    Netty, Sealer does help. There are also porcelain textures out there which clean up easily.
    Netty thanked Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
  • mlimberi17
    10 år siden
    I would def not put white tile. The kitchen looks awesome. I think a splashback glass tile would look great. There are so many to choose from. I would recommend getting a glass tile that has black. Good luck!
    Netty thanked mlimberi17
  • indianpatti
    10 år siden
    How about a faint blue or green glass subway tile?
  • Mark
    10 år siden
    I think a back painted glass backsplash in black would look stunning with your white cabinets.
    Netty thanked Mark
  • Jenny Youngblood
    10 år siden
    Since your kitchen is so clean I would keep in clean- but not white subway tiles- I agree with you on that one- too medicinal- and do a classic black and white in a beautiful pattern or bring in some subtle color in a cool pattern or texture.
    Netty thanked Jenny Youngblood
  • giniaginia
    10 år siden
    I'm really loving this combination...
  • giniaginia
    10 år siden
    or this
    Netty thanked giniaginia
  • User
    10 år siden
    I love the marble suggested above. I also really like the travertine backsplash in this white kitchen.
    http://houzz.com/photos/514792
  • Netty
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    ^Some great advice thanks all ^ . Im not brave enough to go black, and prefer to go with soft muted tones rather than a bright colour. I want to create something that will be fairly classic / neutral in case we decide to sell the house down the track, and prefer to introduce colour through accessories. Bit boring and sensible arent i! hehe.
    I love the idea of marble or travertine, i also found the pic below on the Casearstone website. Love this, but would it look as lovely with the crisp white cabinets?
  • User
    10 år siden
    I think that would look lovely with white. Here's an example of modern white cabinets with a marble backsplash - I love this herringbone pattern too
    http://houzz.com/photos/798841
    Netty thanked User
  • joanmilke
    10 år siden
    I recently remodeled my kitchen with all white cabinets including over built-in appliances and black tile floor. I needed some color and went with glass tile backsplash and a tiny bit of red in accents. The backslashes are the first thing commented on.
    Netty thanked joanmilke
  • inkwitch
    10 år siden
    It would look stunning. Trust your gut. If you love it, it's likely the right choice. The kitchen sounds like a play on textures rather than a variety of colors. Keeping that theme going will unify it so that nothing looks out of place. There are other ways to use color. If the counter has a place for stools, they could be lacquered any color you like to add pizzaz.
  • Netty
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I love that sam0705! it just looks so soft and beautiful! will that look ok with the very modern style of our kitchen though? I think it would, but im not great at this stuff (hence my call for help hehe).
  • Denise Courteau
    10 år siden
    Netty,
    I think you found the answer by yourself. I just take a look on your idea book (you have a very good example) and sam0705 is right, travertine or marble will be gorgeous, in a tone to unify your floor, walnut cabinetry, the glossy white ones and the stainless steel. Herringbone pattern is very very beautiful (I love it) but in your case (you a have a lot of elements), I think it will be to busy for your kitchen. It's more prudent to opt for a large tiles aligned (more contemporary) or brick style.
    DC
    Netty thanked Denise Courteau
  • Netty
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Well after trawling over 20 different tile shops, and countless samples brought home, we FINALLY found a splashback tile! Going with the one in the left in the pic. We start tiling later this week, very excited!! Thanks for all your advice :).
  • PRO
    T C de Ron Retaining Walls & Landscaping
    9 år siden
    Netty, firstly thank you for posting your question because we are stuck on splashback ideas also and the only difference between our kitchens is that you have opted for gloss on your cupboards and we have gone satin. We are currently waiting on our shi*take bench tops to be installed.... hopefully within the next week. After much googling, hubby has decided that he likes the glass bullet style in a neutral tone (much like the tile you have gone with but in glass obviously) and I am liking the bullet style tile also, just not sure whether glass or a mix of stone, glass etc would work. At least I know we are on the right track now, so thanks again! Can't wait to see a photo when your done (hint hint ;-) )
  • danikc
    8 år siden

Glass for sure! I would go slumped or textured,it's easier to clean than plain glass,doesn't streak and looks amazing and you can choose any color...

• Tilly
    8 år siden
    Looks good. I chose subway tile colour Dove. If you don't want subway tiles the colour is pretty spot on for your style. (Tile Boutique).
  • ucheokeke1
    7 år siden

some say go for larger tiles, makes cleaning a lot easier ;)

• Mark Peter
    7 år siden

I like Joan's suggestions. That's really cool

essay help

• robandlyn
    7 år siden

Please note this post is nearly 4 years old!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.