randinovak

Need advice on what to do to this family room

Randi
10 år siden
This is my family room. We moved in last month and I am just starting to figure out what I want to do here.
Walls are a medium grey by Benjamin Moore, though it doesnt look like it in this picture.
The sectional is a darkish, khaki green microfiber with tufted buttons and its staying. I want to add colorful pillows and need color suggestions.

Also would like to add something next to the tv on the left, a bookshelf or something to take up space and make it feel more homey.

Also, maybe some tables behind the couch and something on the wall behind the couch. I am afraid if I do a built in to the left of the tv, it will be too tight with the small depth i have because of my fireplace.

This room is on the small side and right now I think its very linear. I would consider getting a new circular coffee table also, to break up the lines.
I have two small children, so I dont want anything with a lot of glass or fragile.

This room is directly open to my kitchen area. I also need window treatments for the patio windows that lead to my backyard from this room. Any advice would be great!

(66) kommentarer

• Randi
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Unfortunately, the tv is wired there via the builder and though I agree it could work to the left also, it's staying for now. Thanks for suggestions so far though! I am wondering if art to left competes with tv.
    Also area to right of tv is tight near entry of room/patio doors near the couch so there is not room for a cabinet. It would stick out too far in depth.

This is pretty much the only way couch works.

Because the fireplace comes out and is angled in its really hard to figure out a rug. It won't cover both ends of the couch because the granite on floor cuts in on an angle. I guess as long as its under coffee table it could work if its smaller.
  • Randi
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Abby no more brown. i am sick of the ottoman but i like its functionality with kids. I want a fun accent color for pillows and art. Thinking blue or raspberry. Not sure!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år siden
    If space by slider to narrow. I would just treat all walls as art galleries. Book cases behind sofa won't work would come out to far. Area rug 6 x9 and angle it like fire place. Ottoman would sit in middle of it. Go contemporary in the gray shades.
  • abbyjean
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    What about floating shelves to the left of the tv and some frames and some decorations could be displayed there since not a lot of other areas for displaying things. That adds to the room, too. You will get some great color in the room with drapery panels, huge piece of art behind couch and your rug. OK for no more brown....was not sure if that ottoman was a keeper. How about a round one? Are you thinking ottoman or coffee table. It is a cozy area and nice that it is open. When you get your finishing touches, it will be great.
  • anne dee
    10 år siden
    for a start re raspberry
    inspiration pic color at windows and on sofa with accent pillows. it's a start(
    Elegant Rose + Gray Media Room | Winchester · Mere information

vivid art
    Tamara Mack Design - Interiors · Mere information
  • Laurie Tillett
    10 år siden
    Wayfair.com has a super nifty round (36 in) ottoman, the cushion is removable so you can se as a table when you have adults over for guests, but for kids you can't beat a,round piece (no,sharp edges). we got this pie e and I recovered the faux leather cushion in leopard print.
  • elcieg
    10 år siden
    The sectional really cuts off the room and I would like to see repetitive wall decor all around the room.
    Game table · Mere information
  • lvstotrvl
    10 år siden
    Raspberry sounds great, maybe a little light gray as well.
  • craljh
    10 år siden
    I agree with judyg. An art gallery on all three walls would be stunning and the black rectangle TV would slide right in unobtrusively.
  • craljh
    10 år siden
    I am not a prof. but I believe there are some spaces that don't require rugs and I think the space between the coach and fireplace is one of those spaces.
  • Kelsea Rippy
    10 år siden
    I agree with the person above me that I wouldn't put a rug in the living area.. It may seem too crowded.. If you want the pattern of a rug you could do a nice runner from that back door to the hallway..?
  • Rena Hans
    10 år siden
    Why not add cow Hyde rug , it is organic is shape and can be placed under the coffee table.
  • Rena Hans
    10 år siden
    It will also add texture to your flat space , choose a color Hyde that works for you such as a light brindle , then add pillows in a deep orange or raspberry . Do a thin modern white credenza behind the sofa and do colorfully ikat covered otoomans underneath . These will give you additional spearing and provide some color and interest to the back of you couch
  • PRO
    RMWB
    10 år siden
    Have you thought about separating the sectional and placing the shorter piece on the opposite (exterior) wall? How many people in your family to watch tv at one time? A low run of closed cabinetry along the wall beside the fireplace painted out to match the trim would keep the traditional feel of the space and the accents can be colours that reference items in the visually connected rooms. As it is a new house and the paint job is likely close to perfect and allows for flow from room to room, the punch can be artwork and fabrics through the ottoman, drapes and throws/pillows on your sofa, which would be great in the raspberry or a teal, depending on whether you prefer hot or cool colours. You have height in the room, can you add an interesting pendant fixture? Something in a drum shade, perhaps even a pieced metal drum shade to connect to the fireplace tile. Beautiful room, I hope you create many wonderful memories with family and friends in the space.
  • Nancy Parmer
    10 år siden
    Shelving to the left of the TV would add visual interest. Stagger the shelves and add colorful accessories, but not too many. Since this is a small space you don't want to much going on. Colorful glass vases, pictures with all the same colored frames, small plants, and natural elements would work well together. Below are just a couple of ideas to get your creative juices flowing. Colorful throw pillows in orange and grey would add a pop of color and compliment the color of your walls. Add an area rug to warm up the space. You can angle a rectangular rug in a large orange geometric pattern so it doesn't intrude on the fireplace tile (check out West Elm). Add a large colorful art piece above the sofa and a mirror or other artifact on the wall to the right of the fireplace. Keep your window treatments neutral and simple. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • PRO
    Eileen Schoener Design, Inc.,
    10 år siden
    I know a photographer that prints his photos on metal...they are unbelievably fine in detail. This is an example. This photo with a few accent pillows, a 5x7 shaggy area rug under an upholstered ottoman...nice. Imagine if the wall behind this elephant was painted black...
  • matthew633
    10 år siden
    Have you thought about putting a mantle on the fireplace and trimming it out with mirrors to brighten up the space
  • PRO
    Cathryn Saylor
    10 år siden
    I agree with mlmclaron that the sectional should be split. The room will feel more open and less walled off. Then bright colored pillows and pattern for the sectional parts will be visible. With the room thus opened, a faux zebra rug or cowhide in the middle would be fun. Then add your narrow gallery shelves for art and photos, and a little greenery if you can fit it in.
  • donmartinjr46
    10 år siden
    Put Sofas back to back and create 2 seating areas that will open up space on both sides.
  • ammandafitz
    10 år siden
  • Randi
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks for suggestions! This sectional is in 3 pieces and can't be broken up to go back to back. I thought about the mantle aspect but I think it would be bulky. I definitely want to do a fun accent color on the couch and I have thought about a skin rug but I happen not to love them. I agree the shape would work best because of the curve. I guess I wonder what order to begin this process and where to start? I guess pillows would be first? Then new coffee table next and shelving to the left of the tv after that?
  • michee627
    10 år siden
    Think about a fun accent color on both the couch and pick it up on the fireplace wall to pop some color in the room. If you hate it you can always paint over it again... Wayfair has some storage/ottoman/coffee table type things on sale right now - you might check them. That is the kind of thing that is easy to change out the color on the removable top with different fabric over the years without having to do a full re-upholstery job on something.
  • michee627
    10 år siden
    ok another thought on color... if you are planning a window covering for the sliding door (and I'd just do panels that hang straight down on either side... and if you really like your benjaman moore color. Bring a chip of that with you and pick out your drapes. Make the major color that is neutral for the backdrop and lighter so that they pop and add to the light. Pick a minor color from the fabric and use that to choose your accent color both on the fireplace wall and for pillows. It is always harder to match fabric to paint than the other way around so that will help you pick an accent that you both like and that coordinates well with the current paint. If you are brave or handy you can pick fabric from the store and make some yourself - drapes are about the easiest sewing project around as long as you keep them fairly simple.
  • ruthieagibson
    10 år siden
    A mantle would give some importance and weight to the fireplace. Framing out the section of the wall where the tv is would help to give the wall more weight helping to balance out the large sectional. Think picture frame with the tv in the centre and the mantle as the bottom of the frame . A low console with open shelving above on the wall to the left of the tv. artwork on the other walls behind and in front of the sectional . A simple panel drape would keep the space feeling more open matching or keeping it in the same shade as the paint colour would make the drapes blend in (disappear) making the space seem larger.
  • Tara Guido
    10 år siden
    Hi Randi, you have a lovely space here! I'm not a designer, just a mom in the middle of redecorating, just like you, so here are my 3 quick tips: 1. Check out fabric at your local store. See what draws you in and go from there. With a gray base, you can use almost anything! Often the fabric is part of a line of coordinating styles. You can then vary the choices to add interest in your FR, (window treatments, pillows, ottoman covers, etc.)
    2. For your coffee table, a budget friendly option is furniture resale stores. Look for the shape and size that meet your space needs and then repaint it a bold color. We are doing this for bed side tables for 2 of my kids' rooms.
    3. Finally, I see lots of posts are recommending art, and/or gallery style displays. I use my kids' art to decorate, and when framed it really does look great. Maybe you could take some of your children's artwork and frame it to create your gallery walls? You could mix up the frames and go fun and funky OR frame them using matching frames for a cleaner look.
    Please be sure to post pics when you have finished. Good luck!
  • Katy Jordan
    10 år siden
    Given the size and space, I think a coffee table is a good idea, and I would definitely change the wall colors to something that will complement or contrast the color of the sofas (I think I have the same ones!). You could try a pale greyish purple, which is still considered neutral because of the grey tones, or going with a complementary shade of orange. I know a lot of folks don't like/are scared of orange, but the right shade looks really great with that tone of green and doesn't look like Halloween. ;) That lets your sofas be a grounding point without making the room feel heavy. I would also stick to large wall art as opposed to any type of shelving, unless you really need storage in that room. It will help fill the space - you could even do a collection of things that appeal to you for a conversation starter, like a collection of keys or maps or whatever you like, as long as they have some unifying element - without giving up the real estate of your floor space or making it feel too crowded. You could also consider doing a DIY wall of overlapping book pages (aged if you want and decoupaged to seal them) from your favorite books, with kids' books mixed it for the artwork. I'm also with the folks voting for a mantel - you can do a narrow one that won't stick out much, but it will define your fireplace better and give some texture and height variation. (And it's a great place for candles and holiday decor.)
  • 3517carol
    10 år siden
    Wow, loved the elephant picture. My eye immediately went to the picture and not the lonely TV on the fireplace wall. The bright colored pillows gave it some snap. Good idea and looks great.
  • 3517carol
    10 år siden
    Forgot to mention - the one large picture instead of a lot of little stuff gives the room a cleaner look.
  • Kelsea Rippy
    10 år siden
    I'm not sure what kind of style you have but here are some pretty color combinations with the sofa you have. It would liven the space up a little bit :). Also, the curtains in the first picture could work :)
  • Kelsea Rippy
    10 år siden
    Probably would help if the picture uploaded of the curtains
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    10 år siden
    Raspberry and some gray is what I would totally recommend and go for!
  • gotchaz45
    10 år siden
    I don't like the idea of floating shelves for a room with kids. Shelves can be any depth and can angle down to nothing on one end if necessary. Books can be stacked differently to fit the space and it might be just the spot for little kid's art projects, adding their color to your need for some bright spots.
  • Judit
    10 år siden
    raspberry would be a perfect choice
  • Judit
    10 år siden
    with some turquise perhaps?
  • nhmorris43
    10 år siden
    I would place a large potted plant to the left of the fireplace (could be artificial), a large colorful painting (your choices of colors) on the left wall (behind the couch), an end table in the corner with a tall lamp, a slim sofa table behind the open back sofa, a colorful rug and throw pillows to match, some smaller art pieces between the lamp and plant. I love color in any room.
  • nhmorris43
    10 år siden
    If there is not enough room in the corner for a table, you could use a floor lamp.
  • ptmatthews
    10 år siden
    I think orange would be a great accent color in this room. I would put something tall on the wall to the right of the TV and a long horizontal row of same size pictures turning the corner on the 2 walls to the left of the TV. Alternately, a large mirror opposite the windows would reflect light.
  • cindyanz
    10 år siden
    I would do the fireplace over in all white quartz from floor to ceiling to add texture. To the left of the fireplace you could do a built-in on the whole wall and move the tv to this wall. Then add a paddle ceiling fan. Some large prints over the couch. A bold print rug, pull color from rug for your pillows. Hope it helps,
  • felizlady
    10 år siden
    The room may be smallish, but it is nice. The sofa is perfect in size for TV watching. I would buy a colorful rug which has the gray and the khaki color in its pattern and pick some of the other colors (1 or 2) for accessories. A wall unit to hold games, books, music system might be nice. Maybe a mantel for the fireplace. A large painting in compatible colors.
  • moldova
    10 år siden
    Bring your family in it :D Haha just kidding. But just add more life to it maybe a painting or something and possibly a popcorn cart or something to make it fun .
  • Renee
    10 år siden
    Do you need a place for TV components? I don't see floor space for anything after a coffee table. Can we see a close-up of the spaces on the sides against the walls?
  • PRO
    "Un air de Paris" PHOTO FOR WALL
    10 år siden
    Raspberry and blue ideas in photos !!
  • dinarotolo
    10 år siden
    Shelves on the wall will give you warmth and a place to put things I just added a bookshelf next to my tv and it gives the same effect as built ins. I've been looking for an L shaped sofa (without a chaise) and I really like the lines of yours, where is it from?
  • lvstotrvl
    10 år siden
    You have a beautiful fireplace, I really don't think it needs a mantel. I love the clean lines. You just need that pop of color in the pillows & throw. Children's paintings framed on one wall would be great.
    Interior Connections: Posted some pictures of shelves that would look great on the other wall.
  • memre22
    10 år siden
    One thing about your ottoman. It is soft, the kids use it. Get a throw or blanket in a bright raspberry. Still have soft edges for little travelers, and the blanket could be removed and washed as needed. My daughter did this. she had a khaki colored chair and ottoman. She covered it with a throw in greens and browns to keep in the earth tone colors of the room. My Grandson could pull up, and walk around it without the worry of a hard wooden corner edge catching him as he learned to walk.
  • boater64
    10 år siden
    Check out my idea book summer home. One of these would look great in your family room with your last name on it or a family saying. look on my website www.harperboats.com
  • PRO
    Classical Progression Inc.
    10 år siden
    another great suggestion would be to put a low glass shelf with books on it behind the couch to make the space open to the rest of your house. Room & Board have great options.
  • tinarogers
    10 år siden
    Wow looking at this post just reminded me of my own frustration as well. I have a very similar living room (small) and haven't done anything to it yet but put our furniture we had (It has been two years now). Just wanted to show you the colors we have and i don't like them at all, but might show you what u don't want :))) We really need some art on the walls! And I really like the idea of anne dee with cream sofa, rug and pop of color in pillows. I'm thinking of smaller sectional so it will open up a room and then a chair maybe. I know this as my issue because it's kind of blocking the flow of the room since the kitchen is right there as well (open floors plan).
  • PRO
    Panamerican Logix Corp.
    10 år siden
    Cowhide rugs are most widely used to add beauty to home interior. They can enhance the overall look of your home and can be added to any place that gets high traffic like kitchen and hallways. Cowhide rugs are stunning in a nursery, ideal for a family room, and elegantly romantic in your bedroom. It is important to bear in mind that each cowskin is different, so make sure you spend sufficient time checking the various patterns and the variety of colors. You can easily find a cowhide rug that will complement your selected decorating style.
    you will find it at http://decohides.com at very good prices
  • PRO
    PurePhoto.com
    10 år siden
    Art on one of your walls would be great. You can see a lot of options at my site PurePhoto.com. It can really add a lot to the room and give you some amazing colors to work with. We have a ton of great fine art photography pieces that would work well. Let me know if you need help.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.