sarah_nickles51

Living Room Decor Ideas Needed

Sarah N
4 år siden
sidst ændret:4 år siden

Hi everyone!

Help! I purchased this furniture over a year ago and have been struggling to finish decorating my living room ever since. After purchasing the furniture I quickly learned that it was oversized for the room. There isn’t very much space between the furniture leaving no room for end tables and the there’s a large empty corner in the room that I’m unsure what to do with.

My husband has promised to make me tables for where the tray tables currently are. However I still have no idea what to do with the corner between the couches where an old end table is for now so we have a place to set stuff.

Additionally the red valances and lampshades were what we already had from years ago. I’d really like to find a different color to lighten things up. I recently purchased the throw pillows on the couch but I’m undecided as to what will coordinate nicely with them or if they even go with the room. I have learned that I probably should have change the wall color as I’m struggling to find things to match this green! However that isn’t an option at this time.

I like farmhouse decor. I’m typically not a fan of curtains since I own dogs who will just get them full of fur or pull them down. Also, the living room is a weird shape and there really isn’t any other way to put the furniture.

I appreciate all ideas and thank you in advance for your help.

(35) kommentarer

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

Is there a tv in here is it in the left corner? That is the only picture you left out, what is across from the door? And, is that your main entrance?

Sarah N thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 år siden

My next question is have you a need for 2 sofa's? Could you sell one and then buy a second matching chair instead? This would give the room a lot more potential. Another option would be to eliminate the chair and just use the two sofas...

• njmomma
    4 år siden

• erinsean
    4 år siden

I like your room but have a couple of suggestions. After your husband makes your end tables, that is. I would get a round table for between the couches or just put a round top on the one you have, staining it to match. Then, please get rid of the valances. I would rather see side drapes at your windows instead,. maybe cream or white colored. An ottoman or coffee table would complete your room.

• Sarah N
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

@erinsean Thank you for your suggestions! I was thinking a round table in that corner! Side curtains....to the window sill? Or floor? Makes me nervous but I know valances are not really a thing anymore. Anything on the wall above the table? Lamp on the table? I’m terrible at this!

• Sarah N
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

@RL Relocation LLC That is my main entrance and there is a TV in the corner.

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 år siden

Yes, you need lamps, especially for reading. The overhead lights should not be used on a regular basis. They produce a harsh/glaring light.

Could the small endtable be replaced with a lamp/table combo? I agree that panels would look much nicer than the valances. Maybe " dog color" would work best. :)

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 år siden

Maybe?

• Gcubed
    4 år siden

Can you get rid of one sofa? Move other sofa perpendicular to the front door and put a slim console table behind it to create a “foyer/drop zone”
    Chair in corner where square table is.
    Then move TV to the corner by the arched opening?
    The measurements may not work at all but it looks so crowded. And do you really want to walk into front door and right into the TV?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 år siden

Roman shades would be a great way to add some texture and not have long curtains, considering most of your furniture is in front of a window might be better to have something tucked in yet still bring some softness.

What is in the next room? Is it the dining room? This looks like it was meant to be more of a formal room, it's tricky because you have to pass through here to get anywhere in the house.

tricky tricky! I lowered all your art and added a couple lamps and an ottoman.

• salonva
    4 år siden

I think if you remove the red valances that will be a great improvement. (They are dated, but more importantly, I don't see them relating color wise at all to the room, and they just don't enhance at all.). Yes, roman shades could be lovely but I can see if you don't want the expense, just removing the existing valances would be fine. I think that even if you just have blinds or shades ( I can't tell from your photo) unadorned that would be fine.

I think that some of the lamp tables that @grapefruit1_ar posted would be great.

The pic that @RL Relocation LLC did is very nice to give some ideas.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 år siden

you can make faux roman shades very inexpensive and actually just use fabric glue.. lots O videos on that if you like. Have you completely ruled out selling one couch?

• Karla Feliciano
    4 år siden

Hi Sara,

I'm no professional, I just love decorating and on budget. Contact me Feliciano.karla@yahoo.com and I'll love to help you.

Sarah N thanked Karla Feliciano
  • Karla
    4 år siden
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Hi Sara,

You can incorporate this items to your decor. They are all very affordable and from Amazon, so you can have them delivered to your door...i would also rearrange the furniture. I will make a pathway in front of main entrance by placing one the loveseat perpendicular to the sofa. Then place the chair on the other wall with the piece of furniture you have beside fireplace, next to the chair and put one of the lamps on top. The TV I would mount it on the wall, on top of fireplace. If I wasnt too clear, please send me an email. I hope this helps.
  • Karla
    4 år siden

Here it goes...

• Karla
    4 år siden

and the carpet...

• Karla
    4 år siden
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Let me know I you want ideas for the wall...
  • Sarah N
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

@BeverlyFLADeziner You‘re right. It is amazing how those curtains change the space and perspective of the room. I think you sold me on long curtains. Now only to figure out what to do with the window in the stairs...

• Sarah N
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

@RL Relocation LLC I would like to keep both couches. This is our only sitting area in the house and we have two kids, plus a large extended family. that often comes over. The house is from 1933 and definitely interesting.

• partim
    4 år siden

The window in the stairs doesn't need a curtain.

For the end table between the 2 sofas, rotate it so it sits in the middle of the square space it is in. Don't angle it to the wall.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 år siden

Het a faux wood blind at Home Depot and you're done with the window on the stair No valance Do an inside mount to show off the white trim around the window.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 år siden

Please get rig of red valances.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 år siden

Some inspiration. I would go with lighter than walls or carpet drapes.

Sarah N thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
  • Sarah N
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

@Celery. Visualization, Rendering images the light colored curtains give the room a much brighter feel!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 år siden

Because this is a walking path from the front door, I wouldn't want a hard edge coffee table. That's why I went the ottoman route. you can always add a try to an ottoman to put drinks and such on when needed.

• justcallmepool
    4 år siden

I know pros hate it, but what if you put the tv over the fireplace and moved that chair to the corner where the tv is now? That tv and unit is too large for that corner.

At least get rid of that wire shelving between the fireplace & tv. I'd also remove the little table on the other side of fireplace as well. It's just too many pieces lined up all along the walls all the way around. If you have to keep all the large furniture pieces then try to minimize the amount of other items. Sofas, a few tables, and tv unit. that's it.

• PRO
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 år siden

You could do the tv on a pull down mount.. depending if you actually use the fireplace

• housegal200
    4 år siden

Make sure to hang the curtains, per Beverly or celerygirl, as high as possible above the window frame to get the eyes moving upward and add length to the room. Get a large round coffee table on an open frame to balance the bulk of the furnishings.

Harbor Coffee Table · Mere information

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 år siden

I really think you should consider that idea.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 år siden

Gabriella, a history of your comments shows that you're mostly interested in promoting the replica MCM chairs and sideboards sold at a NYC furniture store. You wouldn't happen to work there or own the store, or be friends or partners (personally or professionally) with someone who is, would you? Also, there have been more than a dozen BBB complaints in the past three years about the store you've been recommending, which I would find problematic if I were looking to buy something there.

If you're trying to do native advertising/produce placement, you have to be less clunky and obvious about it. For example, not suggesting MCM furniture when the OP states a preference for farmhouse style.

• justcallmepool
    4 år siden

You go Beckysharp! get her girl :)

• PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    4 år siden

if you are unable to change the green, changing the color of the shades might help brighten up the room a little bit. try going with a cream color shade like the color cream that is in your throw accent pillows on your sofa. this way it will tie the room together. where you have your old table in the corner, I think putting a nice large standing vase with a plant in it would be really nice and also add a lot to the room.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.