webuser_412505819

Door cupboard colour or work top which should be chosen first

My husband and I dont agree on which should be chosen first when planning a new kitchen. He is suggesting that the work surface should be first choice. My opinion is that the whole kitchen colour scheme should be centred around the colour of units and door fronts. Help!

(7) kommentarer

• Ellie
    4 år siden

For me, its cabinet doors - as that is the first thing I see in a kitchen

• Carolina
    4 år siden

Floor, doors, worktop, tiles, walls would be the order for me. Try to pick it all together in one go. And look at the colours in the actual space. Light affects colours. What looks grey in the showroom, might look blue in your room, for example.

Floors first, because you either already have a floor or the newly bought floor needs to flow from one room to another.

Another tip: make a moodboard. Either online (you can use your ideabooks here on Houzz to create a moodboard for your kitchen, with photos of kitchens, colours and other things that you like), or cut ideas from magazines and put them all together. You'll get a good idea of the look you'd like to create and it can also help you to keep focussed when making choices.

• Daisy England
    4 år siden

Cabinet door colour first then it’s easier to choose a worktop to go with it.

• PRO
    Peden & Pringle Ltd
    4 år siden

Hello. We find most of our customers have a different approach. Some bring us a colour palette to work to & we make suggestions accordingly, some might have seen a worktop they love & ask us to work from there whereas some may bring us an image to try & recreate in their kitchen. Everyone is different. Your kitchen designer should be able to guide you with samples. Houzz have a great folder sharing tool where you can share your likes & dislikes with the designer. Good luck. P&P

• PRO
    User
    4 år siden

We suggest the cabinet door colour first style and colour as the main item in the room and then put together a sample board of the work surfaces, flooring, paint colours so you can see it all together. Backsplashes are a key feature these days too whether to go seamless from surface to back or mirrored?. Also dont forget lighting can completely transform a room, how much lighting, where it is positioned, type ie. pendant under cabinet lighting etc and is it a warm yellow, or cool white light etc. Kitchens are a big investment so needs a lot of consideration. . Take a look at our website www.minnieandgrouse.com for some inspiration.

• Juliet Docherty
    4 år siden

I think it depends on several things. For example, if the room is really light, then there are lots of options and you can relax a little. If the room is North facing and light but no direct light you may want to inject some wood, so that could be floors or units or even worktops. A neutral floor is a good starting point, somethings like large format tiles, not too warm or cool. I would say flooring and units together as a starting point.

• minipie
    4 år siden

It depends what sort of worksurface and how much choice you are going to have in both worksurface and doors.

Generally I would say choose whichever you have least choice over, or are fussiest about, first. So if you have set your heart on a kitchen which only comes in 4 colours, pick that first and then find worksurface to match. On the other hand if you want something unusual coloured for your worksurface (eg green marble or swirly granite, anything not white or black basically) then pick that first and then find a kitchen colour that works with it. Hope that makes sense!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.