skcz

Wood floor stain done correctly?

Sarah
4 år siden

I recently added hardwood in rooms off of existing hardwood. The install was beautiful, but when we returned home I saw things with the stain that I don’t see on the existing. There are swirls in places on the perimeter, there is one edge that is lighter, and on some boards there are stain ripples. Is this just variation in stain, or was it done incorrectly? If you stand back and look at the job in its entirety, it’s beautiful and matches the existing perfectly. I just want to make sure with what I’ve paid for it, it’s been done right. Thanks for your help!

swirls

Lighter edge

stain ripples

(7) kommentarer

• millworkman
    4 år siden

First picture is finisher error. His sander messed that up. How does it look standing up approximately 5 ft away, as that is the acid test in determining acceptability for the finish. Also if that is the only spot the cure may make it look worse.

Pics 2 and 3 appear to me to be just the base wood and the way it took the stain.

Sarah thanked millworkman
  • Sarah
    Forfatter
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

Thank you both so much! This has been a big help.

• PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    4 år siden

#1 = poor finishing (fine sanding & edging) those swirls are "edger" marks, and should have been corrected long before the stain was applied. There's also "screen marks" which are finer than the more obvious swirls.

#2 = looks like more of the same, although reverse... sanded/burnished more than the field area, which makes the wood less receptive to accepting stain.

#3 = just some "wavy grain" similar to burl... you'll find that in almost all natural wood products.

Sarah thanked Select Hardwood Floor Co.
  • Sarah
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Thank you!! Your explanation on #2 makes sense on another issue as well. The area that didn’t take the stain very well is sanded more than the rest. They needed to sand the new floor on a plane to meet the old. New planks were about 1/8 inch thicker. This was another thing I was unsure of; the sanded plane along each perimeter is pretty drastic resulting in a slightly seam-puckered look. My husband only noticed it when I pointed it out. I am a perfectionist so this bothers me, but I don’t want to be expecting too much. Is this acceptable or should it have been sanded more gradually?

• Sarah
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

• PRO
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc
    4 år siden

Agree with above but want to add that wood floor refinishing will NEVER be perfect since it's done by humans. If something is 95% perfect, or very close, leave it be. The last picture indicates that your floor generally looks quite nice. Unless it has a fatal flaw in a conspicuous area, leave it alone. Redoing it could easily end up having more issues than you have now. And face it, as soon as your floor gets walked on and used, it will no longer be as good as it was when new.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.