kathryn_dunbar

Please help with my kitchen

Kathryn Dunbar
10 år siden
We are moving into a house with a very large kitchen and I want to replace the metal commercial prep table that is there with an island. Can anyone recommend an island size? Or give suggestions on what it should have? I want it for prep and a spot for kids to eat while I work

(15) kommentarer

• Kathryn Dunbar
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thank you! I thought about doing a garbage in the island, it would be handy. If we do 6' long, how wide would it need to be to not look weird? I would like to leave a little extra clearance
  • PRO
    Wooden Concepts
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    Using a 24" deep cabinet with overhang for seating would give you a depth of 36-39", depending on whether you go with a 12" or 15" overhang. You can go with a curved overhang (12" at ends arching to 18" center) to allow some extra walk space around the ends, but still keeping the main seating area far enough away that kids won't be kicking the back side of the cabinets (or pony wall, if you go that route).
  • PRO
    Wooden Concepts
    10 år siden
    Here is a kitchen that we did that is a similar size, with a 6' island with 12" overhang. (They went with a curved extension on the far end so the homeowner had more "elbow room" at "his" end of the island.)
  • Kathryn Dunbar
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thank you, that picture helps a lot. It doesn't look nearly as narrow as I feared it would.
  • Kathryn Dunbar
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Would it look weird to have an overhang on both the fridge side and the eating side?
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år siden
    Double thread
  • jeristaley
    10 år siden
    I have an island in my kitchen and the granite top is 35 square feet. The result of this is that I have just under 36 inches between cabinets. So when I open the dishwasher I have to walk around the kitchen on the other side...you really want more than 30-36 inches if you have the space.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 år siden
    Duplicate post.
  • Kathryn Dunbar
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Can I delete it?i didn't mean to create it twice
  • PRO
    Wooden Concepts
    10 år siden
    Overhang on both sides would make accessing the cabinet doors/drawers a bit difficult on the functional side. (Wouldn't you have the fridge side be the eating side??)
  • PRO
    User
    10 år siden
    When I design kitchens, I allow for 42 inches clear from island to any work counter/surface across from it. Check with your local building inspector - he/she may require at least 40 inches clear. 36 inches clear is too narrow - common? yes, but too narrow - especially when you consider opening the dishwasher door - you don't want the top of the door to be too close to the island - I agree with jeristaley. That said, a 3 x 6 feet island without seating would fit nicely. With 24 inch base cabinets on one side, you would then have 12 inches for knee space with stools, but it would be difficult to pass behind someone sitting at a stool, allowing for 20 inches to sit at the island, would leave 22 inches to pass - not terrible, but not great. I might, instead, consider a peninsula protruding out from the last cabinet next to the refrigerator. the stools would then be on the 'outside' of the kitchen facing in and circulation in the kitchen would not be restricted as much with an island. Everyone loves an island, though, so I understand! ;-) Good luck!
  • Kathryn Dunbar
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I guess when I said an overhang on both sides,I meant on the fridge side and on the dining side.

Unfortunately the last cabinet is a wall oven, so I can't do a peninsula.
  • PRO
    User
    10 år siden
    Kathryn, I meant the peninsula would be on the other side of the kitchen, not the wall oven side. Looking at your photo, it would be on the right side.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.