epicurious

Countertops urgent advice please.

Sibarita
4 år siden
sidst ændret:4 år siden

Hello everybody. I'd love to hear from anyone who has used Della Terra Quartz on kitchen countertops. I am about to change my kitchen countertops (huge investment) so I just want to make sure I select a material that is not going to stain or chip easily. My installer has said that he would seal the quartz. A few (probably silly) questions:

- Is this quartz porous? I understand that other products like Cambria do not need a sealer.

- Do sealers wear off?

- Would you recommend any other brand over Della Terra?

This is a considerable expense so I just want to make sure I do my research first. Thanks so much for your advice.

(11) kommentarer

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    4 år siden

Hmmm, that's weird, because quartz doesn't need sealing, it's non-porous. Perhaps your installer offered to seal it to reassure you, but that's simply not something that it's done with quartz. It's a man-made stone, very durable, very strong, and easy to maintain. Granite needs sealing once a year, for example. I would talk with the installer once again or find another one. I'm not familiar with Della Terra Quartz but with MSI Stone and Caesarstone I have only the best experience, I highly recommend them.

• pittsburrito
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

While most Della Terra Quartz i safe for food contact, they do make 13 colors that are certified as "splash zone only." (i.e. unsafe to use in your kitchen). So when selecting a Della Terra color for your kitchen, be sure to check that you haven't chosen one of those 13 colors:

http://info.nsf.org/Certified/food/Listings.asp?TradeName=quartz&;

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 år siden

Stick to MSI or Caesarstone please. Neither needs any sealing in any color for safety or maintenance.. DO try to stay far from deep colors ( the grays) in Caesarstone. Not a food safety issue, just prone to some spots..........sometimes.

• pittsburrito
    4 år siden

MSI only makes 10 colors safe for food contact. All the rest are for splash zone only (i.e. bathrooms). Do your research before chosing an MSI color. (Listed on NSF database as "M S International")

All colors of Caesarstone are safe for food contact, except for their "Himalayan Moon" color. As long as you don't choose that particular color, you should be fine with any other Caesarstone choice in your kitchen, food safety-wise.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 år siden

I honestly can't think of a food stuff that sits directly on my counters. ............: ) I really can't. Not even fruit with a skin.

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    4 år siden

We've had a great experience with Quartz Master, as well as with Caesarstone and MSI. No complaints from our customers whatsoever. And no need to seal quartz slabs, ever.

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    4 år siden

Not sure what role your installer has for the counters; but I would talk to the fabricator as they know what works with what they work on.. Quartz does not get sealed in general.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 år siden

Before even doing that really make sure you LOVE how your kitchen functions, replacing counters only adds the pretty not improved function and a huge cost at that.

• BRIAN HEIMBACH
    4 år siden

Our CAMBRIA Quartz Countertops are now 10 years old and the section in front of the window is fading (turning whitish). BEWARE!!!

UPDATE: CAMBRIA does NOT honor their Warranty if it is UV (that is Light) damage.

• Kath
    3 år siden

This is great information regarding "safe for food contact". I had no idea!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.