katie_halebyrne

My kitchen needs a refresh!

Katie B.
4 år siden

I apologize if this posts twice, but after not seeing it show up for a day, I’m thinking my embedded photos are holding things up. Help me with my kitchen!

We have been in our house for 10 years. There are two main areas that I’ve been collecting ideas about for the past decade. The exterior/front (I’ve already cluttered the dilemma pages on this one). And the Kitchen! There are too many talented people here for me not to ask “what would you do” about my kitchen.

This is my kitchen (minus the staging in this photo, + window treatments).

It’s a fine kitchen. But it’s builder basic in a lot of ways, and very beige. The cabinets aren’t solid wood. It has a 6-inch granite backsplash, except behind the range. I’m not looking to do a full kitchen renovation, but I know it can be improved. Our lower doors are trashed from kids, dogs, bikes, scooters, etc etc. At the very least, we’ll replace the doors/hardware. Paint too...we could paint the island or paint the uppers or lowers in different colors.

I would prefer not to rip out the granite backsplash, as I know the issues with imperfect counter fabrications against the wall, wall damage, etc. The granite counters are fine, although a butcher block island or contrasting granite on the island would be swoon-y.

Could I do a full wall backsplash (above granite and above cabinets) in wood, subway tile, or maybe even wallpaper? What about doing an accent wall on only one of the walls of the kitchen?

I really like the look of open shelving and simple/deconstructed kitchens.

Could I take down some uppers and install open shelves (maybe that shelving unit on the very right of the photo?). Would it look weird to do a counter-to-ceiling backsplash on just that one section of wall behind the open shelves?

I really love custom range hoods too. I have a few ideas about this that involve adding or deleting cabinetry. I could add open cabinets to the ceiling above our cabinets, relocate the microwave and add a hood. Or, I could remove the cabinets that surround the microwave, relocate the microwave, add a hood, and maybe add open shelves on each side.

I’m not a designer or construction person, and I’m very likely oversimplifying some of these ideas. I also have very eclectic tastes- rustic, modern, English country, farmhouse.

HELP ME!

Thank you so much for your ideas!

I‘ll post some Inspiration photos in the comments.

(20) kommentarer

• Katie B.
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

I love different things about each of these photos.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

I would definitely change the hardware, use something more modern and striking. Open shelving beside the window on the right would look amazing. I would keep the granite, it looks very nice in contrast with darker cabinetry tone. For base cabinets, I would keep the same color but upper cabinets I would paint light cream (one of the tones your granite has).

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    4 år siden

I would remove the riser splash (as Jan said above, it's pretty easy and won't damage wall or countertops if done by a professional) and apply a full backsplash. With the style of your kitchen, I think something classic like Arabescatto Carrara marble tile would look very stylish. I would just make sure the tones go well with your granite -- not sure what granite is it and what tones are there.

Katie B. thanked Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
  • Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    4 år siden

Have you looked into refacing? We just had an estimate to reface our 89s laminate doors. You could get ‘real wood’ doors in any style / color you want. Our company we’re using can color match to any color...
    It was surprisingly affordable too!

• J Williams
    4 år siden

I am still caught on bike and scooter damage... how???? Lol.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 år siden

I guess the kitchen became the toddler driveway. ...............

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    4 år siden

DIY painting takes time and care, but can be done.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/kitchen/diy-kitchen-cabinets/surprising-tips-for-painting-kitchen-cabinets/

If you want to upgrade your kitchen without spending a lot of money,
    knowing how to paint kitchen cabinets is the perfect DIY solution. New
    types of water-based cabinet paint like acrylic alkyds and acrylic
    urethanes have made it much easier to get a durable,
    professional-looking job. These finishes can be cleaned up with water
    and don’t make your house smell like a chemical factory. And quality
    tools like mini rollers and good consumer-grade sprayers allow even
    beginners to get pro results.

• Katie B.
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Thanks everyone!

Here’s another view.

The granite is Venetian Gold

Yes, we have a “great room”....great as a toddler roadway. We also had a 120 lb dog who had this bad habit of jumping around dinner time or trash day, and ripped a few doors off the hinges. Putting this in writing makes it sound kind of crazy- I swear my life isn’t as out of control as it sounds.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 år siden

Would suggest painting cabinets and replacing some of the solid cabinet doors with ones that have glass. Doing that seems to add a lot of depth that is otherwise lacking. Would also suggest painting the walls a different color as right now they appear kind of dingy. New lighting fixtures with some pendants above the island. Your cabinet hardware doesn't bother me as the style is simple and classic.

Katie B. thanked Norwood Architects
  • Katie B.
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Thank you. Our house is very open and we have that paint in the entire house. I didn’t choose it! It would be hard to paint only the kitchen though...but it’s on the list for sure. I’d like all white paint at some point.

Your ideas sound like another Inspiration photo I have saved. Something Like this?

• Brown Dog
    4 år siden

You've got good bones in this kitchen. Your cabinets are classic, granite is great, footprint is fine. I think paint will be your best friend for your cabinets. And because your kitchen is so classic, you can go with 2 colours. Definitely remove the granite on the backsplash and replace with tile. Also replace the cabinet hardware and hang either one big pendant or 2 smaller pendants above your island. What will be tricky is finding a new home for the microwave. What if you just replaced your island? You could paint your perimeter cabinets white and have a different colour for your island and use the same granite top. That way you could design a home for your microwave. You could even design an island with less deep cabinets so that you have room for a couple of stools and still use the same granite top. You'd have to check and see what the floor is underneath your existing island first.

• christinae15
    4 år siden

Katie! This is crazy... this is exactly the kitchen in my first house!! When I sold it, my best friend bought it and did some changes, I’ll have her send me some updated pics. And im going to look for some ideas to post for you. Give me a bit! I’m not a pro at all and it’s difficult for me to explain my ideas without pictures. 🤣🤣 I LOVED my first house!

• Katie B.
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Love the island idea- changing just the base. I’m pretty sure it’s concrete under the island, as the hardwood was installed after the island. That doesn’t scare me though- if I did shallower cabinets to allow for an overhang and had concrete showing, it could be opportunity to do something fun, a hardwood/tile combo design, or something.

• Gcubed
    4 år siden

I think the idea of re-doing the island to house the MW is a great idea if you can save your granite top (or change that too if in budget). It could be on the fridge side- island would be a perfect landing spot for food out of fridge/freezer that needs to go into the MW and then back up-top for eating.

Good luck!

Katie B. thanked Gcubed
  • calidesign
    4 år siden

If your kids and dog have "trashed" the stained cabinets, then painted cabinets are not going to last. You'll end up with chips and scratches that look terrible. I would just remove the granite back splash and put a simple warm white tile there instead. Also, your kitchen isn't beige - your walls are beige. Paint them white or very pale green. Those are both inexpensive changes. Then in 7 years or so, when your kids are older, you can replace the cabinets if needed.

• Katie B.
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

That’s very true. The cabinets don’t take quite the beating anymore. Bikes and scooters are a normal outside activity now, and the dog has passed. And yes, I meant it’s a lot of brown, not beige.

So no one thinks I could do white vertical wood paneling on the walls and keep the backsplash as is?

like this-

• calidesign
    4 år siden

NO

• Katie B.
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

So basically I’ll be going for this, except I’m boring and will do white subway tile.

The question is:

Can I make a range hood like this work?

We have rustic, stained wood accents throughout the great room area, including a wood valance in the kitchen (below), custom barn doors that close off the formal dining room, and wall frames.

• Katie B.
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

something like this- something that incorporates the stained wood (doesn’t have to be shiplap like above)

so, I’m thinking:

1) white uppers

2) glass doors on the cabinets that anchor the range area

3) relocate microwave in island (probably new base with existing granite)

4) white/wood vent hood

5) Repair lowers that are damaged or replace doors

6) maybe new hardware

7) remove Granite backsplash and replace with warm white subway tile

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.