katelan_parkinson

Cathedral Ceiling?

I would love to put in a cathedral ceiling, my problem is that I don’t know if it would be better to go kitchen/family or kitchen/meals. I think kitchen/family would look great but our meals area goes straight out to alfresco so I don’t want that to look ‘cut off’ from rest of the room. If we did kitchen/meals we could extend that right through to alfresco roof! So hard to decide!!

kitchen/family
kitchen/meals
none
other

(6) kommentarer

• bigreader
    4 år siden
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    4 år siden

Cathedral ceilings can look spectacular, especially at night if they have uplighting. However, most builders quote on truss roof framing which is cost-effective. quick to install, and hidden behind a plasterboard ceiling. To go for a cathedral ceiling you will need to change to a raftered roof to have a clear, open, cathedral-like space. These are much harder to build, so a LOT more expensive. Some builders won't even build a raftered roof as they only work with truss roofs. I would do your homework with your builder regarding the difficulty and potential costs before deciding which option you prefer.

Foster Residence · Mere information

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• Katelan Parkinson
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Thank you, i actually got the idea from a house that our builder is building at the moment! I did know we would have to change our plans to suit and have an engineer do up some sort of extra plan.

• ddarroch
    4 år siden

What climate are you building in?

Generally, I believe cathedral ceiling are good in cooling dominating climates, where higher room volume can help with cross-ventilation.

However, active cooling ( by air conditioning) would be tougher.

Same goes for heating, higher volumes require more heat to warm them. So cathedral ceilings may not be a good idea for climates that are mainly heating dominated.

• PRO
    3D Home Concepts
    4 år siden

Ask your designer what CAD program they use, they may be able to give you a 3d model to see what it may look like. Revit , Archicad and Lumion are what i use as commercial programs.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.