alexandrabywater

Exterior paint colour help

alexandrabywater
4 år siden
sidst ændret:4 år siden

Hi there, I am in need of help with exterior colour for a highset dark red brick house (1980's I think) with zincalume roof.
I am wanting to change the excess of Colorbond Manor House Red. Currently we have Manor House Red gutters, fascia, handrail steel upright supports and wooden top rails for steps and verandah. Also Manor House Red steel supports from ground to verandah.
We also have Classic Cream screen door with a timber varnished door with glass inserts and cream type of colour roller shutters with small band of red trim.
Windows are a bronze-ish colour.
Concrete steps and verandah and porch area concrete Ironstone.
Porch wall is a biscuity sort of colour (horrible).
Garage roller door Ironstone (new).
What I am wanting to change are the gutters, fascia, eaves, steel upright support, wooden hand rails, steel supports from ground maybe and porch wall.
I don't want to paint the roof.
My first thought was to paint the gutters and fascia Shale Grey as this is the closest match, steel upright supports Ironstone and wooden handrail in Shale Grey.
So I painted the handrail after undercoating and painted the steel upright support of one side of the steps. Upright support is ok but not sure about the handrail?
Without undercoating gutter and fascia I painted a coat of Shale Grey and it looks like grey primer.
Then my next dilemma is the Classic Cream screen door and roller shutters. Should I be using cream instead of greys? And what colour for the porch wall?
I am so confused by the whole colour thing and hope someone can push me in the right direction.
I will attach photo where you can see the patch I painted on gutter and fascia, also handrail and upright support on left hand side of steps.
These are all Colorbond colours by the way and they don't necessarily have to be.

(72) kommentarer

• User
    4 år siden

The left hand handrail up the stairs looks like a sickly pale blue in the photos -- maybe its the contrast with the brown ( or maybe red haha ) right side rail , but it doesn't look at all appetising to me .

• julie herbert
    4 år siden

Keep it simple and stylish and paint all your trims to match your garage door, replace your screen door with a more modern style, once your driveway and turning bay are completed then landscape, if you add too many colours it will detract from the overall look, the more simple the colour scheme the more stylish the look, add feature planters in a lighter shade to bring life to entrance and balcony.

alexandrabywater thanked julie herbert
  • bigreader
    4 år siden

The garage door and stairs look fine. Why don’t you use that colour on all paintable surfaces?

alexandrabywater thanked bigreader
  • bigreader
    4 år siden

You are picking too many colours. It’s a brick house not a period property. Different paint colours are used to highlight or play down architectural features. You have a solid home but it doesn’t have architecture to highlight. No more than three colours in total including the Ironstone already used, and including the red brick as a colour also.

alexandrabywater thanked bigreader
  • siriuskey
    4 år siden

This Red Brick House on Pinterest by Goddensudik.com Architects, the use of colour is beautifully balanced, Red Brick dark colour and a lighter colour. In this case the lighter tan colour has been used on the garage door and possibly windows and doors, and with a lighter coloured driveway to work with the garage door.

I still think that the under part of the front deck should be filled in and painted with a single colour as how the panels have been painted in the picture. You certainly don't need to render over those classic red bricks

alexandrabywater thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    4 år siden

As bigreader mentioned, 3 colours, which has been followed in the above example, keep it simple

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Siriuskey I love that! Thank you.

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Pottsy99 would you believe that handrail going up the stairs is 2 coasts of Colorbond Shale Grey.

• siriuskey
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

I don't have correct colours but this should help you visualize , this is looking at your house with the deck filled in with panels which I think makes your house look better and creates storage

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

That is awesome. I simply cannot visualise...what editor did you use if I may ask?

• siriuskey
    4 år siden

An old Paint program on my Windows XP, I have a better one on My Windows 8. It does give you an idea of how you can change the appearance of your house. cheers

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

siriuskey Is there a secret to getting the lines straight using a mouse?

• siriuskey
    4 år siden

I use rectangles, the Polygon and the straight line, but a thick line, I haven't ever done a course, but perhaps now is the time. Photot shop and others a far better. I would look at some of the online Paint Brands, as they have programs to help you show what a colour scheme looks like, they need a good straight on photo to work, give it a try, are you home or still working?

• bigreader
    4 år siden

Siriuskey, that inspo pic and your mock up are perfect. Add that to a lush green garden and the street appeal rockets.

• bigreader
    4 år siden

Alexanderbw, I’d postpone and save your money on the driveway until the house is done. It may only need a really good pressure wash. And the stamped pattern doesn’t really suit the house.

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Bigreader it really does need replacing. It isn’t noticeable in photo but it has lots of huge sink holes and cracks. It has been pressure cleaned but it still looks dreadful.

Why does stamped not go with the house? Lordy I get more confused by the day 😊

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Thank you siriuskey... I am home

• siriuskey
    4 år siden

great time to spend learning an online or a google course to help you, there;s so much out there, but if you have littlies climbing around that might need to be night time

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

No littlies for me lol

• PRO
    2 FIND and DESIGN
    4 år siden

One more suggestion is to remove all the shutters. Hope these suggestions help.

alexandrabywater thanked 2 FIND and DESIGN
  • alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

2 FIND and DESIGN Thank you for your advice. I am more than happy to paint stairs and patio as they are due to be done anyway. Garage door is reasonably new but can paint it if I really have to.

I am liking this colour scheme and wondering what colour you would do fascia and eaves.

• siriuskey
    4 år siden

Alexandra is the house near the beach with any views, if the existing shutters are in good condition I would keep them and update them by using one colour ie: no stripes.

If it's within your budget I would build in under the current deck which will make it look more substantial at the moment it's a bit like a Juliet balcony, it would be even better to widen it so it would have better function. With or without extending the deck , filling in under it (not with bricks) would provide you with a great storage space for surf boards? lawn mower and tradie tools. all the stuff that generally clutters the garage,

Eaves would be white with Fascia & gutters and down pipes the same colour. A satin Black would be a great classic colour scheme, and works with the red bricks and original windows, Updating the front door as per Julies lovely example.

I think I saw that your roof is a natural metal colour?, perfect.

• PRO
    2 FIND and DESIGN
    4 år siden

Alexandra That’s good to hear. The fascia would best in the monument and keep the eaves white (with no undertones).

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

siriuskey yes the house is across the road from the beach with ocean and river views and I would like to keep the shutters as they are in good condition and they help keep the Winter cold out.

• siriuskey
    4 år siden

How lucky are you living across from a beach plus a river, you are going to need that easy access to extra storage for all the toys, surf boards, sup boards etc it would be a great addition, and agree to keeping the shutters in good condition, they will help control any weather, make sure they are painted on both sides.

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

2 FIND and DESIGN what whites have no undertones please?

• PRO
    2 FIND and DESIGN
    4 år siden

When you order your paint with your supplier (Bunnings?) check with them your options for suitable outdoor paint product suitable for eaves that is a straight white. They will be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

2 FIND and DESIGN with regards to the Rust-oleum the image you supplied is Slate but you referred to Sahara.

Am I right in thinking you meant Slate? Bunnings website shows an image of Slate regardless of which colour you select.

• PRO
    2 FIND and DESIGN
    4 år siden

It is slate sorry.

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Thank you. I actually bought sample pots of Monunent, Wallaby and Sahara and thought you might have meant Sllate. Thanks heaps for your help and to every one else.

• Dee
    3 år siden

Hi Alexandra, we are currently undertaking a similar renovation to yours. I’d love to see some pics of your finished house if you have any? Cheers

alexandrabywater thanked Dee
  • KK1000
    3 år siden

I had a similar idea to Siriuskey but I would paint upper half of the house light colour and leave the bottom half brick, that would allow you to go lighter shade on the walls and dark gutters and trim to match garage doors.

alexandrabywater thanked KK1000
  • Houzz-bruger-ID-833827432
    3 år siden

I don't mind that brick color myself. I'd paint the guttering, downpipes, stairs and railings etc in the ironsand to tie in with garage door. I'd also paint over any cream in a deeper neutral, but can't name colours as I don't know taubmans or dulux. I agree that the lattice work needs to go. Oriental screen would look better or just cover it all in. You could paint your aluminium joinery in ironsand, but this would be a big job.

alexandrabywater thanked Houzz-bruger-ID-833827432
  • suancol
    3 år siden

3 co-ordinated colours

alexandrabywater thanked suancol
  • PRO
    ingrid Horsburgh
    3 år siden

I think the ironstone is wrong. It is a blue. Monument is a similar colour with warm colours in it. If you paint everything except the brick and the eves Monument, I think it will look chic and clean. The eaves need to be either Monument or a white with no blue in it. The clue in this house is that the mortar looks to be a warm, dark colour. It is a colour in itself. Definitely paint the lattice to make it disappear. The fly screen? It is OK as a pop of colour. Paint the door too. If you can sneak in any wood panelling, eg under the stairs, that would look cool.
    But there again... it is like wine. Paint everything a colour that you like and you will like it.

alexandrabywater thanked ingrid Horsburgh
  • User
    3 år siden

How’s your project going, Alexandra?

Have you tried any of the paint colour visualiser apps? Here’s a link to the Dulux one. https://www.dulux.ca/diy/colour/paint-colour-visualizer Other companies have visualisers too.

Several people have offered good advice about limiting the number of colours. If you haven’t already had the driveway re-done, perhaps review the colour and type. I think it would be easier if the driveway blended in, or became almost be invisible, as opposed to standing out, or clashing, or dictating your other colour choices. See if one of the visualisers can help you with driveway colour as well. I don’t mean paint it, just to see what different colours can achieve.

I’m in the process of changing aluminium window frames from primrose (dark creamy colour) to monument. It has certainly modernised the place. Perhaps investigate the pros and cons of painting your roller shutters to a colour that makes them less dominant or interfering with your new colour choices.

Show us the outcome. All the best with your project. :-)

alexandrabywater thanked User
  • alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    3 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}3 år siden

@Dee sorry for late reply. Here are some progress photos. We have yet to paint the concrete stairs and verandah. Waiting in warmer weather.

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

@Dee I have tried 5 times to upload photos to no avail. I will have to try another day. Sorry.

• Dee
    3 år siden

No worries, thanks very much for trying

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

@Dee trying again

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

@Dee one at a time seems to work

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

@Dee

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

@Dee we haven't painted the stairs or verandah yet and they will be Rust-oleum Slate

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

@Dee

• Houzz-bruger-ID-833827432
    3 år siden

So much better! Great job

alexandrabywater thanked Houzz-bruger-ID-833827432
  • Dee
    3 år siden

Looks fab, well done on a great job and thanks for going to such effort to post.

alexandrabywater thanked Dee
  • Kate
    3 år siden

Well done.

alexandrabywater thanked Kate
  • alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

@Dee painted fly screen door up now. Still haven't painted concrete stairs and verandah.

• alexandrabywater
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.