louanne_beversdorf

Cabinet/Counter/Backsplash Color Dilemma

Louanne Wright
4 år siden
sidst ændret:4 år siden

Hi, I think I messed up when choosing the shade of white for my cabinet refacing. The bright white of the cabinet door is making my brand new counter look creamy/dirty/dingy. The cabinet door and the counter in the photos below are already installed, so I cannot change those. I'm hoping to find a backsplash that will make the counter and the cabinet door look better together. Do you have any suggestions? Or do you like any of the combinations below? Thanks in advance!

Kitchen Reno · Mere information

(16) kommentarer

• reno97
    4 år siden

Check out Vestige tile. I went with white cabinets and a multi-toned (grays and taupes) counter and struggled with the backsplash. I love so many but thought there would be "too much" going on but yet I couldn't find the one tone or color I wanted if I went solid. Then I found Equipe Vestige ... I went with subway (rather than the 5x5 sample shown), but I liked that while it was solid it had some variation in tone so it blended nicely with everything. It also lends itself to many styles from farmhouse to modern (mine is more on the modern side). I originally chose their off white color, then switched to light grey, and finally chose the black hat. (The light grey is beautiful too ... they're all beautiful.) Everyone who sees it loves it.

Here is the light gray.

Darn. They really don't show as well in pictures as they do in real life. I'd call and ask for a sample or google to see who carries it near you. I got mine at a local carpet store (not Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.).

Louanne Wright thanked reno97
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 år siden

I like the first one. it will be fine. (do it in gray if you like)

don't forget you're viewing everything in the lights in the store.

your kitchen light will be diff.

I would suggest you bring home samples and try them in your kitchen.

if you look at your countertop and cabs alone, the cabinets are clearly whiter than your counter. Any white tile you choose will match your cabinets, but make the white in the countertop look 'dingy' because it's a creamy, yellow white, not a bright white like your cabinet color.

I don't mind the last gray tile, but I think you could find a better shade of gray.

Plus, the 'white kitchen, quartz, and subway tile' is so completely overdone, I can't even get on board w/it anymore. at the very least, do a different layout if you go w/the subway.

BTW, what's on your floor?

post a picture of your actual kitchen and lets see what you have going on
    similar countertops

Louanne Wright thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Jenni Leasia Interior Design
    4 år siden

I agree to stick with the solid (last photo,) in silver/taupe shades. Light or dark could work depending on what else you have going on. It's not a good idea to bring in another white/cream or a patterned tile above the stone with all that movement in it.

Louanne Wright thanked Jenni Leasia Interior Design
  • plf12652
    4 år siden

Go with a gray subway tile....it will tie the white cabinets to the countertop without matching whites.

Louanne Wright thanked plf12652
  • everdebz
    4 år siden

1 and 4. But depends on quantity of tiles that make up the backsplash.... 5 maybe if floor is medium/dark.

Louanne Wright thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 år siden

some other shades of gray that work w/your stone
    (this upper right one I like. It's Orion Noir3x12 from porcelinosa)

• Louanne Wright
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

@Beth H. : Thanks so much! I added photos to the original post of our actual kitchen. We don't have lighting installed (or windows) and the floor is horrible I know we will need to change it. The current situation is a bit of a mess, in the middle of refacing. We have SW Gauntlet Gray cabinet on the peninsula and it looks awesome with the counter.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 år siden

ah, ok great. yes, the floor is very yellow.

just make sure when you do your new lights, aim for 4000K bulbs. You don't want anything below that because it will bring in yellow hues.

I can already tell your bulbs lean yellow. look at Gautlent Gray on your island in your pic and the swatch of how it's supposed to look.

Would you say in natural light the gray is actually more blue or more taupe/brown?

try taking the photo of this same shot using your flash. see if it changes the color.

Is your countertop Cambria? which one?

and, what's going on w/the ceiling lights? are you not doing recessed?

• Louanne Wright
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

@Beth H. :

The countertop is Quantum Quartz in Altair Classic.

It has both a taupe-ish color and some veins that are darker gray with blueish color maybe.

The yellowish light is from a floor lamp that is temporarily in kitchen during renovation.

The ceiling lights will probably be recessed. Thanks for the info about the colors, I will definitely follow your advice. Right now, the wires hanging down are from the old fluorescent lights that were inside the 1970s light box.

Altair Classic • Quantum Quartz · Mere information

Altair Classic • Quantum Quartz · Mere information

• Louanne Wright
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

Tried my husbands LED work light for a better example here...

• cbreagan
    4 år siden

I have a countertop with lots of movement in it and I was having trouble finding something. Ended up with small stainless subway tiles. That might work with your grays/whites but no need to match either one.

Louanne Wright thanked cbreagan
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 år siden

ah, ok. much better. yes, the grays are for sure warmer toned.

bring home some samples of tiles and see how they look after your new lights go in. (or if you need it sooner, set up the light w/more natural white light so you can view them)

so yes, your countertop has the taupe-ish gray tones so stay away from any of the cooler, blue/gray tones.

these are the gray tones you'll need

Leila, 4x12 tiles on Wayfair might work. these are taupe. maybe grab some samples.

also, go check Tilebar. These are from the Manchester line, Dove Gray, 3x12

I like these too. these are Shadebox/Shadebrick porcelain tile AND they have them in Taupe and a gray shade

I kind of like the Shadebrick tile. Here is all three of their colors. the taupe on top, ivory, and the gray

• Rachel
    4 år siden

I have a very similar colors I'll be going with for a new build. I found a metallic tile, solid tile from Best Tile called Shimmer tile in 2x8. The photos don't do it justice. In any case, I vote for #3. Here are my finishes. Note I will not be getting this herrinbone mosaic, but wanted to share the metallic glass

color.

Kitchen · Mere information

shimmer best tile mica - Google Search · Mere information

Atlas Homewares | Thin Square · Mere information

Louanne Wright thanked Rachel
  • Louanne Wright
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

I'm loving that taupe shadebrick! I'll order some samples based on all the different recommendations from everyone. I'll let you know how it turns out! Thank you all.

• Louanne Wright
    Forfatter
    4 år siden

that is really pretty @Rachel!!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.