mckinney2dallas

Kitchen Cabinets

mckinney2dallas
10 år siden
Oak or Knotty Alder? Which one would you choose and why? Our builder is offering Oak as standard and $1K to upgrade to Knotty Alder.

(4) kommentarer

• Jenny Youngblood
    10 år siden
    100% Knotty Alder. Oak is very heavily grained and therefore, is a very dated look, and b) makes it hard to even stain or paint because you can still see the grain underneath. Most cabinets now are either Maple, Alder or Walnut with some more traditional people still opting for Cherry. Oak is very rarely used any more, and for a new home, I would definitely choose the more current wood.
    mckinney2dallas thanked Jenny Youngblood
  • PRO
    User
    10 år siden
    I agree with Jenny. Definitely go with the Knotty Alder. Well worth the $1K price tag.
    mckinney2dallas thanked User
  • PRO
    Wooden Concepts
    10 år siden
    Knotty Alder is definitely the current trend, although other wood species are definitely more desirable. Alder is becoming the wood of choice for builder grade cabinets, because it is one of the least expensive solid woods available. I would caution you to ask some specific questions about the quality of the cabinets being used in the home - or visit an existing home and look closely at the cabinets, doors, door hinges, drawers, drawer glides, etc. Builder grade custom cabinets are typically very low-end cabinets, even if they are "custom". Most builders are using cabinets with solid wood frames and doors (good) but the boxes are particle board, drawers are plywood and drawer glides are nylon ball bearing style (not good). It is frustrating for talented craftsmen to see folks buying brand new homes that look nice on the surface but are such poor quality that the cabinets will certainly need to be replaced within five years. Most builders only offer the state (Texas) required warranty of one year. I encourage you (and anyone anticipating a new kitchen!) to read this: http://www.woodenconcepts.net/Professional_Cabinet_Installers.html
    mckinney2dallas thanked Wooden Concepts
  • mckinney2dallas
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thank you all! Alder it is!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.