margaretdarcy

Need help to dress up my dining room,am thinking of cream panelling,ra

Margaret Darcy
10 år siden
I want to dress up my dining room,thinking of cream panelling,radiator covers,rug under the table.What about a new armchair,repositioning furniture,window seat.The black leather chair is the dogs!

(33) kommentarer

• Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I have a family occasion coming up,all advise appreciated
  • PRO
    Amanda Fossum Design
    10 år siden
    Adding upholstered cornice boxes over the windows would add some color, texture and drama to the walls without blocking the natural light... just a thought.
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    How could I do this,sounds like a great idea
  • Darzy
    10 år siden
    I like to see a new chandelier and relocated to be centered above the table.
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Should I change the table position? Many thanks
  • Darzy
    10 år siden
    I think the table position is just right. When is the family occasion coming up? How much time do you have?
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    3 weeks,thank you,should I change the position position?
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    What type of panelling should I get and rug type?
  • PRO
    Caryn Bortniker Design
    10 år siden
    How are the kitchen and dining room connected? Is it a cased opening? If not....not sure if the panelling will look right, because it has nothing to return in to. You have big, beautiful windows, if you chose some long window treatments to frame them, it would define your dining area and draw attention to the windows. It would also soften the table area. How about a sisal under the table and some cushions on the chairs that would pick up the curtains? I would center the light fixture as well.
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks so much,it is a. Cased opening as the dining room is an extension.Love the rug and cushion ideas.I have cream wooden blondes on the windows,so I thought cream ravelling would blend in and soften the drabness?
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 år siden
    The panelling would provide a more 'formal' look.

Oasis Architecture - work in Montclair and Upper Montclair NJ · Mere information
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I love this look.do you think it would blend in,many thanks
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Wooden blinds not wooden blondes!
  • Angel 18432
    10 år siden
    From what I see, you don't have much wall to do paneling/wainscoting. I would just paint.
    Looks like you need some kind of unit to put you cd's on and stero equipment on. Take a lot of that stuff off the window ledges. Prop up some pillows. Flowers look nice. You have a lovely home - just declutter a little.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 år siden
    Sweetie, you have too much clutter around to see beyond... clear out all the stuff, then look at it with fresh eyes. You've got a nice space to work with, Great dining set! clean lines... don't need to mix it up with paneling... the light over the table doesn't work with it.... look for something that goes with the existing theme...
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks so much,can you suggest a type of storage would suit?
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I agree,this is the last cluttered room in my house.My husband is top in the hoarder,s league.
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    What type of light fitting do you suggest please.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 år siden
    Hey, we ALL have clutter issues, If you have storage in a basement area or garage, or, rid yourself of un-needed things. You can buy or build some storage cabinets...or, if you can't let go, get a storage rental. On the lighting, I would suggest a clean, simple pendant or something kind of modern with a shade... look on this site under casual dining lights for some inspiration.
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks so much,what type of cabinet do you suggest? Don't. want to try and match woods,what about cream? Really appreciate your efforts
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    The black chair and foot stool have been evicted!
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 år siden
    Good girl! Now, get your husband some boxes and go to town.. also, you need some shelf storage for all those DVDs ... you will love what you see when you get it clear..
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    If I chose cream panelling,could I incorporate some storage unit into it?I really appreciate this.
  • luxilove
    10 år siden
    So that we can get a better idea what colors do you like? Is the family room adjoining the kitchen on the other side? If so what colors do you have in there?
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    My family room is next door and is seperatr
  • apple_pie_order
    10 år siden
    If you want custom cream panelling built from scratch, it is likely to take you more than three weeks to line up a contractor, get it built and then painted. If you want to use beadboard (thin, lightweight, cheap) you can do it yourself if you are good at the small precision cuts around the wood window trim and behind the radiators. You can get a custom built wood cover with doors for your tv or use the painting over tv disguise made with hinges.

I think the room is beautiful as it is. Spend some money on a truly beautiful, impressive chandelier, have it centered over the table. If you want to impress relatives at an event, the chandelier is the way to go. Clean the windows for extra sparkle.

If you are in the US, try Home Decorators http://www.homedecorators.com for DVD storage cabinets that are closed.

I would not get a rug for this room unless I was ready to get it cleaned frequently and I could find one that looked good with dog hair on it and did not show stains. A good quality, highly patterned wool Oriental rug will do that job nicely. Such a rug is an investment and may take longer than three weeks to find.
    Margaret Darcy thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    Caryn Bortniker Design
    10 år siden
    I think you could find ready made curtains anywhere from restoration to bed bath and beyond. Hang them from just below the ceiling. The room needs to be softened and defined. I think something like this will give the biggest change. I'm not a huge fan of rugs under dining tables for cleaning reasons. http://room-decorating-ideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/dining-room-curtains-ideas3.jpg not sure if this will come up as a link or a jpeg.
    Margaret Darcy thanked Caryn Bortniker Design
  • PRO
    Caryn Bortniker Design
    10 år siden
    Another example of curtains.
    Margaret Darcy thanked Caryn Bortniker Design
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I love these curtains,many thanks
  • Margaret Darcy
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Many thanks everyone ,lots of great advise,appreciate all the honesty,now on a craze of de-cluttering,will hold onto my lovely husband!
  • Jessica
    10 år siden
    I think a low pile rug under the dining table would help anchor it.
  • lessismoore
    10 år siden
    Is that a wall mounted TV in there? I would be tempted to remove it, especially if you have an adjoining family room for TV watching? If you move it you might have space for a nice narrow storage/display piece on that wall
    There seems to be neither time nor space to put up paneling per say.
    But, what about just adding a chair rail at the height of the windows middle opening and painting a nice cream below it?
    For a more formal feel, chair covers.
    I ditto what everyone else said about clutter and the photo box is much too wide/big for where it is on the wall.
    The windows are wonderful, how they tilt out. Nice feature. After you declutter, that window ledge is a gold mine for some artful plant arranging and some other stately but simple groupings. I could see some much larger plants ... say a stand of Sansavaria in a box planter? http://preview.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_2010_05_14__15_21_06/sansevieria_trifasciata-tgp.jpged4d7dd1-39e1-4d6a-bae1-558b1ac95b52Larger.jpg
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.