ebony_russell13

Ideas for screening out some townhouses at the back of my place

Ebony Russell
3 år siden

Hi everyone,

I’m in Melboure and looking for some creative suggestions to help screen out a group of double story town houses that have been built behind my house. I’m not looking to completely block it out but I hate looking at the air conditioning unit so would love to add some greenery up to the top of the ac unit.
The town houses are built up to the boundary and as you can see in my photos, my biggest issue is that our pool house, shed and outdoor toilet are also built up to the boundary so can’t plant along the boundary within my fence line ☹️

There is a lane way between our place and the town houses and a small amount of space behind our shed. Photos attached.
I’ve been thinking about planting some Slender Weaver bamboo directly behind the shed, in the back ally but I’d really need to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t get out of hand. Cars need to be able to drive through the ally. Does anyone have any experience with this type of bamboo? Do you think it could work? I would probably only have 20cm from the shed wall... so not much space at all.
Or any other planting ideas?

It’s not a privacy issue for me purely a visual thing.

One day when the kids don’t want a sand pit anymore I might replace it with a tree. That would help the view from my dining table. But that’s not going to happen for years because the kids are only little.

I’ve also drawn up a rough plan of our yard so you can see where the sun comes from etc.

I really appreciate and welcome your suggestions!

Cheers,
Ebony

(3) kommentarer

• oklouise
    3 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}3 år siden

you have such a such an interesting attractive yard that it's difficult to see the AC but i think the simplest idea would be to use horizontal slats or wires across between the verandah posts to obscure the view of the neighbours without blocking the view of the pool and add some climbers like jazmine or potato vine to the verandah screens and more big potted plants that can be carefully placed for more greenery to obscure the view when you're in the yard..lilly pillies or pittosporums are good and there are also non spreading bamboos that would be suitable...

• PRO
    Davidson Design Studio
    3 år siden

Hi Ebony,

This is a very interesting challenge! Slender Weavers Bamboo is good, however usually to get height in a screening plant, it will also need to spread. To get the height you need to block the view of the townhouse, I think it will be growing too wide within the laneway.

Also, planting in the laneway could prove problematic. I'm assuming this is Council land and therefore they could come along at any time and remove what you have planted (although it doesn't look like much maintenance is performed by Council). You could also face the wrath of your neighbours, or other local residents who might use the lane and feel that you shouldn't be planting there.

You would be best to find a solution within your boundary.

You could try and extend the rear fence with wires or lattice and plant a climber or I really like the previous suggestion of planting climbers to the verandah posts and block the distant views from on the verandah.

Good luck with this challenge!

• Ebony Russell
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

Thanks so much for both of your suggestions!! I know it’s a tricky one. I agree that someone could come along and rip out anything I plant in the back ally and they’d be within their rights to do so. I might still give it a go and see how far I get (although it’s cheeky). I’d be sure to maintain it so that the ally is still accessible.
    I hadn’t thought about growing a creeper between the posts on my veranda - great suggestion! I think I’ll done that as well.
    Appreciate it 😁

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.