webuser_5928486843

No idea what to do with this - help please! :)

A K
3 år siden
sidst ændret:3 år siden

We're buying a house that has a built in surrounding the fireplace in the master bedroom. It's very big and oddly shaped. Is there anything I can do in terms of painting it or decorating around it to make it look less awkward or would it be better to remove it? I believe the piece above the fireplace is hiding a vent.

(9) kommentarer

• PRO
    William Roy Designer Kitchens
    3 år siden

WOW, where do we begin? It feels like a big, dark, heavy thing, agreed?

Personally, I would remove all the dark cabinets and do a modest fireplace surround add furniture and art. If you need the cabinet's paint them to match the wall and it won't feel quit as heavy.

If you must you could hang a TV above the fireplace if this is a family room.

Oh, the wall paper trim needs to go to.

Best to you....................

• Renee Barton
    3 år siden

It will depend on the style of your bedroom furniture. And how much... all the wood is too dominating. I do not think putting a different front on fire place to soften will help. Is there a way to cut a foot off each dresser so you can see wall between dresser and window and dresser and fireplace. Also maybe see if that big of a hood is necessary. If lighter will also help because you can decorate the counter to pull eye to instead of all that massive wood.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}3 år siden

THE WORD IS BYE BYE. Please do not waste paint on that monster.

In fact, it looks like the fire, the whole thing, was added atop carpet. Are you standing in the entry to the room? That seems where the BED should be located : ) Bet me a lunch on that. .....

• freedomplace1
    3 år siden

I agree with Jan Moyer. Bye Bye is for sure the word... or maybe technically that’s two words... but whatever the case, I would subtract that craziness immediately. And I usually like to preserve existing features in spaces, but not this one. I don’t know what the story is with the fireplace itself, but all that cabinetry has to go. It’s a design of horrors in my opinion. Unbelievable.

• Olychick
    3 år siden

Since you don't know what's behind the wood, unless you have the budget for a complete redo, I'd paint the wood. It looks to me like they might have build that wood surround to cover a fireplace they didn't like - like ugly bricks or rocks or ?? So If you pull off the wood, it's possible something even less attractive is under it.

I think if you remove the border and repaint the walls that you could paint the dark wood and it would look fine.

• arcy_gw
    3 år siden

Were they built in place or could you just pick them up and haul them away? How big is the room and what is the closet situation? I am wondering if this is all the storage they had in the way of dressers etc.? Even with paint the design is very formal--more formal than the carpet/paint/boarder so just painting it all white would not be enough I don't think. Sorry but they just don't make sense there....inside a large formally appointed closet is where those "drawer units" belong. Curtain panels would be a challenge with the built ins right up to the window casings..and I hate shades so that would not work for me.

• Sister Sunnie
    3 år siden

Remove the wallpaper, paint the walls your chosen color and paint the build ins the same color as your trim.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 år siden

IMO gone is the best choice and while you are at it no carpet either or the wall paper border. I do not know anyone who uses the FP in their bedroom for more that the first month they own the house . Lets see the rest of the space too

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 år siden

Paint it with wall color or white, it would not be monster any more.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.