ramatadiallo

Cabico vs Shiloh cabinets -- why a $8K price difference?

ramatadiallo
10 år siden
We are looking at kitchen cabinets for an addition. I've gotten estimates from 2 KDs, one for cabico espresso cabinets, the other for shiloh cabints. Both are full overlay. The shiloa are approximately $8K more ($14K vs. $22K). Is there really that much of a quality difference between these 2 brands? Is it worth it? Any feedback on either of these 2 manufactures would be much appreciated. Thanks!

(10) kommentarer

• feeny
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    Do you have an apples to apples comparison between the materials used for the boxes, doors, and drawers? (i.e. are you sure the materials are the same?). Also, consider getting a quote for fully custom cabinets from a local woodworking firm, if there is one available. When we priced out semi-custom Shiloh cabinets (and one other brand of cabinets whose name I can't remember) from a local KD firm vs what an excellent local woodworking company could build for us out of top materials, it actually came out cheaper to do custom.
  • ramatadiallo
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I know that they are all plywood cabinets and "solid wood" (i.e., plywood) doors. Beyond that, I am not sure what to ask to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples. Suggestions are welcome!
  • ramatadiallo
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Forgot to ask, how to I even go about finding a local woodworking company? This whole process has so many options, it's overwhelming.
  • feeny
    10 år siden
    I'm not a professional, so I'm hoping they will weigh in, but I know that the thickness of the plywood for the boxes makes a difference in stability (you want "furniture grade" plywood for the boxes), and ideally the top grade of cabinets will have cabinet doors and drawers made of solid wood rather than plywood. I believe the materials used also depend on the style of the door front (flat slab vs Shaker vs raised panel, etc.) and finish.
  • feeny
    10 år siden
    We found our woodworking company through a recommendation from an architect, but the Houzz professionals section should list a variety of kitchen-related professionals in your area, including custom woodworking /cabinetry firms.
  • leelee
    10 år siden
    Where are you getting these cabinets? Sometimes the assumption is that the big box stores are cheaper and they're definietly not always less.
  • ramatadiallo
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    They are from 2 different kitchen designers who run their own companies.
  • ramatadiallo
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks for the info. What do you mean by finish process? Not sure what to look for on that one.
  • PRO
    Wooden Concepts
    10 år siden
    Some cabinets have a simple stain or natural finish while others use a multi-step coloring process for a glazed or antiqued look. These premium finishes will usually add around 15% to the price of a standard finish. With that large of a price difference in your bids I would first look at the cabinet construction. (Euro vs. Face frame or plywood vs. particle board) The Cabico cabinets might have been bid with a European style cabinet, meaning they don't have face frames and the Shiloh might have been bid as a faceframe. Your KD should have asked you if you wanted a framed cabinet or a frameless when he/she was going over your cabinet construction options. These are very much apples to oranges comparisons but it would explain the large price difference.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.