karenmsteffes

Kitchen Layout - Sink Location

karenmsteffes
3 år siden

Right now, we have it setup so the kitchen sink will be in the island. We are going to increase the size of our island from 4’ x 10’ to 5’ x 10’ to be able to allow 6 stools comfortably at the island (4 on long side and 1 on each short end). Wondering people’s thoughts on having the sink in the island vs moving it to one of the walls since we don’t have any windows on the countertop walls. We have large family get togethers of 16 people frequently, so want to find a layout that works best for buffet area and eating area. Thanks!

(13) kommentarer

• megs1030
    3 år siden

Personally not a fan of sinks in the island, especially if you are going to seat people at the island. And there's no way you can comfortably sit people, have a sink and use it as a buffet area (if I read your post correctly). Another problem is that your range is located directly across from the sink, which creates a bottleneck. My suggestion (and I'm not a pro) is to switch your range over to where your fridge is. Move your fridge to the same wall where your range currently is, but slide it down further to the end. This would help remove the bottleneck from where your sink is and also create a nice space for any large family meals.

But some food for thought... a long time ago, I lived in a townhouse, interior unit. My sink was on a wall with no windows. So, I hung a decorative mirror on the wall so that as I was washing dishes, I could use the mirror to see and interact with any guests I had over. That might be an idea for you.

• anj_p
    3 år siden

This is similar to my kitchen layout. My sink is on the short L, as a clean up sink. My range and fridge are on the long L (fridge at the end). I also have a prep sink in the island. That keeps the clean up separate from the cooking...but my layout only works with a prep sink IMO. Otherwise things are too far apart.

• C Cahill
    3 år siden

Great question - I’m thinking of moving my sink to the island too and would like to know about the dirty dishes. “You will see the dirty dishes!” Is all I hear from the family.

• Andrea Morrell USDA Z5 / CAD 5B
    3 år siden

Not a pro either but your kitchen layout is similar to a family member's who regularly hosts 16+ including myself. The sink in island, d/w to R, cooktop directly behind sink, fridge to L has never been an issue. IMO and experience being regularly hosted, helping with meal prep and clean-up over the past 10yrs, there's more than enough room for several to prep at island, use it as a buffet (make sure the back of your stools aren't too high to impeded access to the food) and still be connected to everyone. Are you working with a KD?

• anj_p
    3 år siden

Island sinks tend to be a personal preference thing. You will probably hear more people tell you not to put your clean up sink in the island (and I am one of those people - we're actually in the early stages of building a custom home, and one of the big reasons we went custom is because we can't seem to find a new build that DOESN'T have an island sink and I really can't stand it). But if you're really good at keeping your sink area tidy and you really want your sink there, it's not bad. Islands are just really great prep spaces - they're huge and give you a ton of room to spread out. So if they're constantly cluttered with dishes, they can't be used for prep. Keep in mind, 70% of the time spent in a kitchen is doing prep, not dishes or cooking, so it all depends how you want to spend your time in your kitchen, and how fastidious you are about cleaning up dirty dishes. I am not good at it (nor is the rest of my family), so cleanup sink on the wall for me.

• itsourcasa
    3 år siden

If no windows keep the sink in the island. 10x5 will be plenty big for what you want to use it for and have a sink. I've had your layout in the past and it's great.

• mainenell
    3 år siden

I would put the sink on the long wall between the fridge and range.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 år siden

Sink on island is fine, since you can have a nice prep space to the left. I would not put a seat on the short side facing the fridge, to avoid conflict with the open fridge door, and anyone entering that aisle. 5' is enough space for two seats, so put them both on the other side:

• karenmsteffes
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

Thank you for everyone’s comments! Very appreciated! I like the idea of putting the two stools on the right side and none by the fridge. With the two stools on the right side, would there be a corner post on the top right corner as support?

• Lisa Dipiro
    3 år siden

I entertain all the time..you will NOT like the disturbed buffet area the island offers if you put a sink in it.....you can put a nice mirror above the sink if it doesnt have a window......my island is THE spot when everyone is over.. we were at a party last weekend at a friends and the dad was trying to clean up. People were seated opposite him and he said ‘oh I’m sorry am i splashing you? ) no thanks...i almost did it when we redid our kitchen but I am sooo happy we didn’t. The mess can go to the outer wall and I can enjoy my company.. and who wants to interfere with conversation happening at the island because cleaning is taking place? I LOVE my clean one surface island.....

• Lisa Dipiro
    3 år siden

Little change. With the mirror you can see everyone behind you IF you are at the sink..it’ll make the room feel larger and you won’t feel left out

• PRO
    William Roy Designer Kitchens
    3 år siden

A) you need a minimum of 24" wide for seating, per person. 30" is preferred.
    B) You could move fridge to the right, frame in an angled wall in the corner sour sink giving you a better look with more room between each work station. I wouldn't just throw the sink inn the corner at a right angle.
    WR

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 år siden

I prepped facing a wall for over 15 years, but after using the island I found I enjoy facing the room so much more. If you have only one sink and put it on the perimeter, I'd keep the DW and dish storage outside the prep triangle, where it will be easier for helpers to unload it, or gather dishes to set the table, without interfering with prep or cooking tasks.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.