jenlovesbirds

Bar stool colors for a charcoal couch? Contemporary style.

Jennifer C
3 år siden

I need help with design! Here are my colors for couch, island and flooring. White walls. Any help would be appreciated.

(40) kommentarer

• Jennifer C
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

Thank you for the response! I forgot to mention that the cabinets are also charcoal but the back perimeter will be white quartz. Do you think black would be too dark with the cabinets?

• PRO
    Spaces Reinvented, LLC
    3 år siden

Perhaps.... you could try a chrome-legged bar stool for a nice balance. White or black leather cushions to keep the mod look.

• PRO
    Spaces Reinvented, LLC
    3 år siden

Or an acrylic bar stool.

• Jennifer C
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

Ok perfect, I do like chrome on the bottom. Thank you. Would you mind sharing your opinion on type of dining table and chairs? Glass, wood, maybe concrete? We have an 8' window on a 15' wall for the dining area. Is it a good idea to match the table size to the window?

• tedbixby
    3 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}3 år siden

Since it appears that you are still in the early stages of building, if you can wait to make these choices further along in the building process it would be better to do so. As what you imagine is working on paper may not work once the house the house is further along. It's just easier to be in the house and bring in samples (if possible) to see how your lighting reacts to those choices and how you feel about it rather than trying to do if based on a blue print and what your head is imagining. Are you going for a monochromatic look as it appears that way. And if you are, you need to have a lot of texture to visually pull it off successfully.

• Jennifer C
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

@tedbixby Sorry for the confusion, I'm actually moving in October so I've already ordered the couch and hoping to get other items ordered in time. Just used the plans to show measurements and didn't have an up to date picture of the space. I would like some pops of color so not sure about the chromatic look.

• Maureen
    3 år siden

Size and price are also factors, so it’s difficult to suggest but in general, I’d go light.

Don’t suggest a glass dining table as it’s a pain to keep clean. Again hard to suggest, but here are some modern looks. Have you looked at inspiration pictures on line, as that may help.

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

I'd figure out the dining table and chairs before you select the stools as it will be easier to compliment the table/chairs than trying to figure out a table/chairs to work with the stool.

Do you have any photos of your kitchen with the cabinets? Or at the very least photo of the cabinet and color. It would help with style suggestions.

What is a bit more important to you, maintenance or style regarding the table?

When figuring out the size of the table in addition to how many you want seat you also have to take into consideration the clearance of 36 to 42 inches from table edge to a wall or other furniture which allows adequate space for seating plus a walkway behind the diners and room to pull the chair out.

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't appear that your floor plan is an open one and the sectional doesn't come into play in the kitchen/dining area?

• Jennifer C
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

Thank you @Maureen. I'm thinking budget is somewhere around $1500 for table and $200 for bar stools. Not exact but at least it gives an idea. I like the first table you posted but have a feeling it is out of my price range.

@tedbixby I didn't think about picking the table first, great idea. Thank you.

What's really important to me is durability. I hate seeing scratches on a table and I'm assuming glass is worse for that.

Everything is open to each other and while I don't have cabinets in yet, here is a picture of the exact color and style I took. Sorry for the bad quality.

• Maureen
    3 år siden

Table was over $2,000

One set of bar stools is less than $200 but I agree, getting the dining set should come first. Good luck

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

Are you planning on a chandelier above the table? If so, you want to mark on your plan where the chandelier will be in the ceiling as that marks the center of the table. Then going around the room mark off from the wall towards the chandelier 42" which should give you an idea of the size of your table. If you find the table is a bit smaller than you hoped for, then try 36" and see if that is possible for a walk way. And if you decide to go with a rectangle table then you have to figure out the direction it will go and play around with that 36-42" walkway. I hope this makes sense.

As far as the table top, nothing is going to be totally durable but some finishes will be more forgiving than others. And some times after looking for that durable table, style wins after all-lol.. Glass is a no go (worst) and actual concrete is porous and you have to keep it sealed to help the stains from penetrating so you would have to take that into consideration if you go with concrete. And "fake" concrete you have to be careful as it can look fake.

So measure out on your blue print what size you think the table should be, then we can help you start looking.

• Jennifer C
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

@tedbixby Thank you, I measured like you said and I can fit 8' by 3'-4'. Here is an updated photo.

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

Ok. How do you feel about that size of a table? A rectangle shape you could fit probably 8 unless the chairs end up being on the wide side. What is the minimum of people you'd like to be able to seat? Do you plan to put any other pieces of furniture in here?

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

Have you figured out what your metal finishes are going to be? Do you have any other photos that show your kitchen and the family room ( which I'm assuming is to the left in your dining photo). I know that the rooms aren't too far along but it really helps to see as much as possible.

I'm mulling over a black table since you have so much light and with your white walls and light flooring I think you could get away with it. I pulled this photo as the flooring stain reminded me a bit like yours so you can see how a black table (at least I think it is black) looks against this flooring. Your thoughts?

Cassiopeia Way · Mere information

• Jennifer C
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

Thank you so much for helping me out, I really appreciate it so much. Feeling overwhelmed from all the choices and we only have the guest bed mattress, a couch and a dresser for the closet.

I love black and the style you posted. Do you think it's too much with the charcoal cabinets and charcoal couch?

These are the most up-to-date photos for now but I can get more another day. The kitchen is to the right of the doorway. The slider is our living room.

• Jennifer C
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

Forgot to respond about finishes, satin nickel finish but the entry has chrome. This isn't a great picture but this is the dining light.

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

What size is your dining light? Usually you select the light after you have the table so that the light is sized correctly so we need to take this into consideration, too. I like all your selections.

I'm still mulling over the black table with everything else you have so far. I know it is a lot of black/charcoal in that area but almost feel that with the beautiful granite that another wood tone would be distracting. With the contemporary style you are bringing in, a glass table would be ideal IMO. Do you think that you might reconsider that?

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

Hey, I was looking at your photo of the granite and I noticed the ceiling beams. You wonder why I'm mentioning this? I look at the beams as it being a wood color so if you can imagine those beams as wood instead of painted than you can get a sense of what a wood stain would look like with the granite. If you like a stain wood, we can explore that too. Just let me know. Does that make sense?

I'm still liking glass for your space but did come across this Pottery Barn table that it has extension so that would give you some flexibility if you didn't want to go the full 8' though you might only be able to extend only one side since the full extension is 97". Though it may not look as modern as you are thinking but I think it can go different styles based on the chairs.

Reed Extending Dining Table | Pottery Barn · Mere information

Reed Extending Dining Table | Pottery Barn · Mere information

Thinking about budget, I came across this chair that intrigues me because of the round back. I'd like to see a softer shape in a chair to break up all the rectangles/squares going on so it adds to the visual interest.

Widner Upholstered Dining Chair & Reviews | AllModern · Mere information

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

I've had some good luck furnishing homes by purchasing items through Facebook Market Place and Craigs list. It depends on the area you live in but there can be good finds. Have you checked these out in your area?

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

Could you do me a favor when you have time and put your selections in a Ideabook. As I'm not to much of a techi and then I can grab your photos and put them into an Ideabook on my side. It will make it easier for me rather than scrolling through this thread as I look for possibilities for you.

• partim
    3 år siden

You may find this useful.

https://mariakillam.com/charcoalpalette/

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

Thought I'd post this photo as it may help you give you a visual and give you direction if you want to go with a wood tone table or not. Keep in mind your flooring, too, as this is different.

Corona Heights Residence · Mere information

These chairs look like the chairs I posted above

Ferguson 2020 · Mere information

• Jennifer C
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

@tedbixby Sorry for the delay! Just got home from work.

The dining light is 4' wide. I'm hoping that is a good size for the table.

Somehow I missed your comment about size. I would like a rectangular table that can seat 8. I thought about an extendable table but I'm afraid it would look too small for the area when not extended. I'm definitely open to glass, wood or black. Not sure what wood tone would look good with the flooring. I like the very first table you posted, do you know what brand it was?

Our area isn't great for contemporary style through Craigslist but we aren't too far from Sacramento or the bay area. I do occasionally peek at what is available.

Not sure how I feel about the chairs. I understand adding some curves because everything is very square. I will make a board tonight like you asked and find some ideas. Thanks again!

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

Hi. No problem as you need to work to pay for all these lovely things you are purchasing. I'm on the other side of the country so we'll have some delay communicating because of our busy lives and the time zone but no worries. We'll plug along.

4' for the light fixture will be fine with a 8' table.

A board would be great but also if you could take your photos that you have posted and put them in an Ideabook with your other Ideabooks that would be great so that I can take those photos and put them in my Ideabooks. I'm unable to take your posted photos from this thread and put them myself into an Ideabook as I'm on a lap top and Houzz doesn't make it possible to do that.

If you are asking about the black table it is from Pottery Barn. Knowing that you are open to glass and black I'll kind of focus on that rather than a wood tone. We won't worry about the chairs right now. Next time you at your house, even though you have measured it, you may want to take blue painters tape and tape out the table size on the floor. It will give you a visual and also you can see how it would be to walk around it and also to pull out chairs. I have found blue taping works great for visual and to verify that the furniture size works fine when figuring out furniture layout.

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

I came across this photo which I thought would give you an idea of what a black table with gray chairs look like in a real setting. This will also give you a visual of a chair with rounded back. Gol, this floor is ugly! Thinking how this kitchen is white and yours being charcoal, I think if you go black table it might be important that you either go with a white chair or a color as I think the black/gray combo will come across rather flat. Or you will need a big fantastic painting. But it's not what I think but how do you feel about it? Whoever picked out that floor should be shot..it's so distracting!

8091 Redfield Court, Hudsonville, MI 49426 · Mere information

• Nancy R Chicagoland 5
    3 år siden

I suggest taking a look at the tables, stools, and chairs available at Room & Board. They have a lot of more contemporary things in nice woods. I've bought quite a few things from them over the years.

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

You may want to take a look at these which has multiple top choices but I don't know if your $1500. budget includes chairs. You might want to take a look at this site where I found these tables. https://www.southconefurniture.com/ I have no experience with them but they have some cool stuff. I also grabbed your photos. Thanks. Could you add your flooring to your IB.

Brielle Rectangular Dining Table - South Cone Home Furniture · Mere information

Giorgio Rectangular Dining Table - South Cone Home Furniture · Mere information

• Jennifer C
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

@tedbixby I love the bottom table you posted from South cone! My budget for the table does not include chairs so the pricing works. Their tables are made from poplar so I am a little worried about dents. I did order their samples so I will be able to see the colors and how soft the wood is in person. I should hopefully receive those in a week.

I do like white chairs and if I were to choose a color I deep greens or teals. I added some more pictures to my ideabook.

We are going out today and I will measure the table and let you know what I think. Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

That will be great to have samples so you can see how the different colors work in your space and the durability. I think with the Giorgio you have to be mindful of feet hitting the base unless there is quite an overhang of table so that if someone stretches out in their seat they aren't hitting that base and doing any damage. The good thing with a pedestal base like that, you can squeeze in an extra chair/s that is usually smaller than your others around it if you need more than 8 seated. I love the idea of deep green or teals dining chairs as another consideration to the white. I'll be on the look out for those colors and will focus on chairs that would work with Giorgio table. Budget for chairs?

• Jennifer C
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

I actually hadn't thought about the base that much until I noticed today in a store that some table bases completely blocked some chairs from being pushed in. I definitely want to stay away from that.

Chair budget is probably around $200? Not exactly sure but the more affordable the better with wanting 8. Do benches ever go with a contemporary/modern style? Not sure if that would be an option for the look I'm going for. I also want to avoid fabric, easy cleanup would be ideal.

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

The problem with a bench is that people like to scoot up to a table and not everyone is going to scoot up the same distance. Also, benches are not good for lingering on. People like to have that back support and they are hard to get on and off of ( especially if you are trying to get 3 people on one) - think picnic table as you really can't easily move the bench in and out like a chair. Ask yourself if you were at a dinner party and the table had a bench, would you and your husband run to sit on the bench or the chairs?

I'll focus on non-fabric chairs for easy clean-up. But don't completely discard fabric as with all your hard surfaces you may find that you may like having a fabric to break it up. I purchase cans of Scotchguard (or like product) and spray the fabric myself and over-all it does a pretty good job. And if you are looking to kid (or husband) proof it, then a sheet thrown over the chair will work, too-lol....

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

Not perfect but for the price to hold you over if you feel you have to settle to make your move-in date.

Craigslist $300./set. 6 chairs. 93 x 40

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/fuo/d/sacramento-modern-dining-room-table-and/7186582049.html

Modern dining room table and six chairs - furniture - by owner - sale · Mere information

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

You may want to take a look on this site if you haven't already for chairs.

https://www.allmodern.com/furniture/sb0/dining-chairs-c366121.html

• Jennifer C
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

That makes sense about the bench, probably best not to. If I go dark for the chairs I think fabric would work. I like that site you posted but hadn't looked at their chair options!

Thank you again for all the research. I think if the Craigslist table was rectangular I would go for it but Im unfortunately not a fan of oval. Greens are out too, I learned that my fiance doesn't want green furniture so I'm thinking use paintings, and pillows for color.

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

So if you are thinking paintings and pillows for adding color, are you thinking that you'll be monochromatic with everything else? Charcoal, black, white and silver?

I came across this Houzz dilemma and think the dining table it is a good visual as to what wood stain color not to use in your home. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5985995/dining-table-finishing-touches

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

Came across this little sexy number. Though it may run a bit wide so if you have any interest in it make sure you'll be able to have 8 chairs. Any luck on finding a table yet?

The Parker Dining Chair, Velvet, Black, Chrome Legs · Mere information

• Jennifer C
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

Hey Ted! Thank you for checking in! I do like those chairs! We are waiting on a quote from someone in town that builds concrete tables. I'm thinking a lighter concrete with a black metal base but not sure what would look .

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

If you go forth with the concrete make sure you read up on how to maintain and seal it as it is a porous surface. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the quote is doable and not like this budget buster- but what a wonderful base!

Urbia Hunter Dark Grey / Black 94'' Wide Rectangular Dining Table | URBVGSHUNTER · Mere information

• tedbixby
    3 år siden

You may want to take a look through this site for furniture if you haven't already

https://www.burkedecor.com/collections/view-all-furniture

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.