j8be

What would you do with the exterior of my 1980 block house.

Julie Og
3 år siden
sidst ændret:3 år siden

80 cement block house, brown aluminium window frames, next project, I am to paint the windows matt black ( can't afford new ones) Already painted the trim (its a black green grey blend) am considering painting all the block black, house is 2 story at the back (the block has an uneven surface to look like mud brick) and looks a little depressing- thoughts recommendations ideas please

here are some before and after pics.Last week I turfed the top area ( it was previously and old shed and mud driveway. I'm to lay a meadow wildflower turf bed on the porch roof to attract bees and soften the look. (last pic is a before)

(10) kommentarer

• oklouise
    3 år siden

what a gorgeous location and i love the look look of all that black trim but i'd leave the blocks natural and you would need an engineers advice before adding turf to a roof that wasn't designed for the extra weight and do you really want bees near the front door??..paint the porch roof black and attract the bees to another area safer for you and them

• Julie Og
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

Hey Louise, thanks for your feedback, the idea of painting the porch roof black is a goodie (I don't know why I didn't come up with it :)- that's the value of the forum ( thanks). I had the porch rebuilt, its an upgrade of the old one and I considered the garden bed weight at that time, so it will support it...mmmm more pondering... maybe black- cheeers Julie

• bigreader
    3 år siden

I like the colours you’ve chosen. I’m a painted brick fan but in your case you’d be crazy to do it. You have a lovely house that fits it’s environment so well. Finish the windows and just work on landscaping.

Julie Og thanked bigreader
  • JE C
    3 år siden

Love ypur house and what you have done so far

Julie Og thanked JE C
  • PRO
    Style Precinct Interior Design & Decoration
    3 år siden

Totally agree with what others have said here. Leave the brick natural- it would be a mistake to paint it and especially black. I like what you have done so far with the black trim and painting the windows will continue that. Cheers

Julie Og thanked Style Precinct Interior Design & Decoration
  • User
    3 år siden

Personally , I wouldn't do the porch roof black -- I'd go a light blue/grey like surfmist etc . But I would do the porch uprights and deck in the charcoal/black -- the brown looks so dated .

I love the blocks -- they just suit the site . And I wouldn't be too worried about the window frames either -- painting aluminium means it will lift at some stage . The brown isn't overpowering or too noticable , so why fix it ?

To me , the white door is more noticeable , and while traditional to do wooden doors in white , I'd use it as a chance to add just a bit of colour -- a mid yellow would be my go-to . And while it doesn't overly matter , I'd look at newer style lights -- theres that 70's 'fishing bouy' one and the spotlight -- 6 low power ( 3-5watt ) LED downlights along the length of your place would give a good effect , as well as 1 or 2 LED spotlights -- probably movement activated , assuming there aren't too many nocturnal animals to trigger them !

• Kate
    3 år siden

It does look dull and depressing. Before painting bricks add some colour. Flowering plants picture on wall, cushions. Outdoor rug under swing.

• G S
    3 år siden

What about extending the back deck to the whole width of the house - including the roof - or a bigola- and landscape around that

• julie herbert
    3 år siden

Hi Julie,
    I love what you have done so far, love the black, to bring bees and butterflies into your garden plant the gorgeous Buddleia, they come in a range of colours that would look great with your house, add a water bowl, bird feeder and you can sit in your lovely chair and enjoy your beautiful house and garden.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.