cecblake

Front porch ideas

cecblake
3 år siden

Hello. We have a blah early 90s home. I want to modernise it but I'm finding it very difficult to achieve. After 10 years living here I couldn't handle the cream coloured window frames, eaves, garage doors and THOSE Roman columns! So I've decided to paint all the cream bits white. Work is still in progress as I'm DYI-ing (pun intended).

Tight budget so can't go all out and remove those horrid columns (they are load bearing), render the bricks or paint the roof.

I do want to change the entrance tiles as current ones are cracked and are dangerously slippery. Will probably lay new tiles over the old ones if possible. What tile will suit? I like the look of timber, but don't want to maintain real timber. Would timber-look laminate tiles work here? What colour? Other ideas I was thinking of was stone-look like slate, marble or sandstone? I need help with this to compliment what I have as I have no idea what style my house is in its current state.

We are also getting a new modern wide front door, wooden stain, no side panel. The concrete driveway will eventually be painted a dark grey colour I think.

Lastly, should I paint the bricks?

Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated!

(10) kommentarer

• cecblake
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

Thanks for the idea Deco Australia but I would need to consider low-cost options as I have a limited budget. How much do these systems cost? And is is DIY-friendly?

• PRO
    DECO Australia
    3 år siden

It is DYI friendly :)

If you would like a quote - please send your dimensions/ plans through to info@deco.net.au.

DecoDeck isn't a 'cheap' product but it will look brand new for a very long time and requires no maintenance like oiling and staining. You just hose it off when it gets dirty :)

• dreamer
    3 år siden

hi cecblake

Get a carpenter to square off the columns with a timber surround.

Do not paint the brick. This will then be ongoing maintenance.

Add big pots with flowering plants or succulents at the base of each new square support.

Tidy up the garden along the verandah with a garden bed.

Look into painting the floor tiles with a non slip clear paint. Example: Tread Rite-Slip Resistant Coating.

• dreamer
    3 år siden

If you are going to change the floor tiles completely, then I would choose a tile for exterior in a similar colour to your roof. Then any planting or pots will have a wonderful dark, back drop.

• Kate
    3 år siden

I would paint the columns fascia garage a mid to dark grey.

• User
    3 år siden

I think you are off to a good start for a budget spruce-up .

Paint the columns and curved architraves in the white . They are period , and although you say you hate them , either live with them , or sell ! Same with the boards above the garage doors -- paint them white too .

The screen door looks beigey yellow -- paint it in a mid to bright orange or red or yellow , the garage doors a shade or 2 lighter . The brown gutters have an indent along them -- get the ladder , and masking tape , and do that indent in the same as your screen door -- its only about 20mm wide , and the bright colour against the brown will be reasonably subtle as they are quite big gutters , but an effective change .

Get the spade out ( or a lawn edger if you have one ) and trim the sides of your driveway -- try and get it straight . Add a pot or two in your chosen colour .

Whats the worst that can happen -- you've spent $1000 and added $5k to the resale !

• julie herbert
    3 år siden

Great ideas, are those metal strips on your window, we removed ours using a Stanley knife between glass and strip to remove glue, it made a huge difference and modernised the house immediately, leaving it with large clear windows.

• cecblake
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

Thank you all for your ideas. I'm sticking to white paint as I've just spend a long time painting and I'm not about to change it now 😉. Same with the windows- took me ages to tape up all those squares to paint the strips so I'll also be leaving them alone. And we're getting a new modern door with no screen in about a month. So I think if I square off the columns, tile the floor dark grey (like slate?), paint the driveway, tidy the garden and add a nice potted plant or two it'll make a difference. Sounds exhausting!

• User
    3 år siden

Just as a matter of interest , which parts have you painted white ? A photo would be good haha .

I hate painted driveways -- I think they look artifical and tacky , they can peel and look even worse -- I can't think of a positive personally . I'd waterblast or chemical clean ( DIY or get a pro ) and even if not perfect , it has character ! When that 'character' turns to cracks and weeds growing through and puddles then you dig up and re-do , or resurface in some cases , but I'm not a fan of resurfacing either .

In other words , I think the driveway isn't too bad -- I could even live with the existing tiles if all the feature fittings were white . Yes , I know , they are slippery and you say cracked -- the bits I can see they look like they'd last a couple more years ? To me , I'd be more inclined to change the garage doors ( or paint if tidy enough ) before I did those tiles , but you know their condition , and your priorities and budget .

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.