tylerhiltunen

Front Door Replacement Recommendations

Tyler Hiltunen
3 år siden

Hey there, Houzz folks.

Looking for recommendations and ideas to replace my front door and side lights. I enjoy the contemporary look though do not want to install anything that seems out of place. Any thoughts and examples you can share?

Thanks,
TH

(14) kommentarer

• wedreambuilders
    3 år siden

I love entry ways with lights on each side of the door but tht oval glass, what were they thinking? I'd have that cut out & a rectangle light put in tht would be say double the width of 1 of the side lights. then spend the $ to have the door professionally painted in a colour with punch. Or just a solid door if you don't want so much lack of privacy. That would be an easy change without tearing out anything else of character.

Tyler Hiltunen thanked wedreambuilders
  • Webado Webada
    3 år siden

Personally I'd opt for a double entry door if the width allows it. It makes moving large objects and furniture so much easier. While I do like to have some natural light come though the entry door, I'm always worried about safety. Maybe some small window panes at the top. And definitely nothing oval or round.

As for the door color, not sure what other than white would be adequate. Definitely not yellow anyway.

Tyler Hiltunen thanked Webado Webada
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}3 år siden

I like double entry doors too. IMO no grids in the glass since wisely you have no grids in the windows. keep it simplle and then if you want at some stage you can paint the frames a color . I must say though that landscaping is totally taking over the house .A walkway from the street to the front door is IMO a must too.

Tyler Hiltunen thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • felizlady
    3 år siden

Double entry doors, rectangular glass without dividers. Those oval-glass doors are sooo dated.

Tyler Hiltunen thanked felizlady
  • Gloria Graf
    3 år siden

Love the doors that decoenthusiast posted.
    I also agree that the landscaping is taking over, and that if you remove some of it and add a walkway to the front door, it would make a huge difference.

Tyler Hiltunen thanked Gloria Graf
  • Houzz-bruger-ID-187528210
    3 år siden

I also LOVEEE the above door. Also think about a Dutch style door. Think it could be awesome here. Definitely stick with the brown regardless. Gorgeous

Tyler Hiltunen thanked Houzz-bruger-ID-187528210
  • Michelle
    3 år siden

I'm not a fan of double entry doors and with all the windows being groups of two the door wouldn't be the focal point. I do like side lights but agree the oval glass is dated. How about a wider door with a more commanding presence.

Tyler Hiltunen thanked Michelle
  • myrns
    3 år siden

No glass, square glass or rectangular glass would update the oval. I would paint the door one or two shades darker than the siding. The "pop of colour" doors don't appeal to me. Your landscaping is typical of the Pacific NW, especially BC, and looks good. I suspect your front walk goes to your driveway. Without a city sidewalk in front there is no need for your walkway to go to the road.

Tyler Hiltunen thanked myrns
  • Terrie B.
    3 år siden

I would do a classic black since you have all that grey and white. Also, blue, a bold yellow or a cranberry colour would be nice. Your house is so beautiful and I love your doors. A strong colour will make them "pop".

Tyler Hiltunen thanked Terrie B.
  • User
    3 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}3 år siden

I'd go with double red

I also think you need some architectural "oomph" at the top of the porch columns that frame the door. Just having two larger square blocks at the top of each post would do it.

And again, with each of the two pillars at the bottom of the entry stairs, you need something visually fatter! And get risers on the steps and paint the stairs white.

Right now the house is top heavy, so you need to create more mass and visual weight at the center bottom of the house.

Instead of pointy ornamental trees lined up near the porch, cut everything down to the railing line, then have large hanging baskets coming down from the porch roof , over the railing.

Tyler Hiltunen thanked User
  • PRO
    Impact Precious Wood, Inc.
    3 år siden

Hey! we would love to help you out! A different color and a modern door would make a huge adjustment.We can also make a custom door to your ideas. If interested we can help you out. Email us at info@impactpreciouswood.com or give us a call 786-222-0427.

• Houzz-bruger-ID-478104510
    3 år siden

Agreed that the double doors with rectangular glass -- preferably with "rain" or similar vision obscuring pattern on the glass -- are the way to go. The ovals don't work when everything else on the house is a straight line.

Color: consider teal or bright red.

Consider trimming back the landscaping and adding some bright, year-round blooming plants that pick up the door color. I'm not an expert on plants of the NW, but I'm sure there are some that fill the bill, if nothing more than double, red Knockout roses or the white Seafoam rose ground cover.

Tyler Hiltunen thanked Houzz-bruger-ID-478104510
  • Tyler Hiltunen
    Forfatter
    3 år siden

Hello folks, I'd like to thank everyone for their input on this inquiry.

I posted this looking for input on the door specifically, though have received a lot of feedback about the remaining architectural & landscaping considerations that will really help accentuate the entrance. I truly appreciate it and have now added a few more small projects to the list because of it.

Points that will be considered are:

• Square/rectangular glass on front door, potentially a double door or single larger format with some form of privacy
    • Landscaping reduction and potentially making way for a new access from the street
    • Stair risers, porch skirting, and pillar detail installations to create visual interest and mass at the base of the house

It may take some time, though whether it is in the next few months or over the course of a year, I will post the final result.

Any additional input is always welcomed.

Regards,

TH

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.