michael_dante

Will mulch as a backyard attract termites?

Michael Dante
3 år siden

I'm planning on using free mulch to cover most of a small backyard. It doesn't rain much here (in Northern California) and I was thinking a 2"-3" depth would keep the mulch from getting too moist and attracting termites. I have a wooden fence and a wooden shed; would making a buffer between the mulch and the wooden structures be enough to keep them safe from termites? I'm not concerned about how mulch looks since the ground right now is just decomposing fake turf with patches of dirt.

(4) kommentarer

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 år siden

Just keep the mulch at least 6 inches away from wooden surfaces and you should be fine. Even better if you use a wood mulch that will actually repel or deter them - redwood, western red cedar, eucalyptus.

• PRO
    2 J's & Sons
    3 år siden

Most mulch especially colored mulch anymore is treated to repel fungus and insects.

• Gawdinfever Z6
    3 år siden

Haven't had issues with termites, but omg the VOLES!!!

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    3 år siden

I would recommend bark rather than a wood chip based mulch which is what most dyed mulches are. And a hardwood bark keeps it's color all season where a soft wood bark mulch looses it's color during the first season. Insects tend to live either under the bark or in the wood and tend to avoid the bark.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.