amanda_fellingham

Help with Kitchen Layout!!

Hello!! I am currently working on floor plans for our house, and I am having trouble with our kitchen layout. I love love love the huge windows over the sink (which face the front of our house), but I am stuggling with where to put the fridge and stove. Where the fridge is right now in the floor plan (see picture), it makes sense, but it bothers me that the range hood and stove top are not centered on the island. I have thought about moving the fridge to where the double ovens are and centering stove on island, but that seems so far from the stove and sink. I have also thought about centering range hood and stove on the bottom wall (where the sink is now) with windows on either side. I am seriously stuck, and would love to hear your ideas. Thank you!!!!

(10) kommentarer

• schnoodlemom
    2 år siden

I would definitely switch the double ovens and fridge. You'll want a place to land hot pans from the oven. If the symmetry bothers you, shorten the island a bit and scoot it towards the sink.

Amanda Fellingham thanked schnoodlemom
  • herbflavor
    2 år siden

I'd shrink the pantry a bit. so the long kitchen window wall is a bit longer. Range and hood on front wall w windows flanking is a good idea. place fridge where range is shown in the sketch. Turn island sideways ..... as pantry corner will move over a bit alleviating pinchpoint. Sink goes to island. What you gain: counter instead of fridge when you come through w groceries for good "landing" which you really need in that spot. I would also turn the pantry into butlers pantry and put pocket door entry from great room so it has a use when entertaining. So you'll reduce walls available within to the L and omit window in pantry in order to max out use of two walls..... it will be more valuable w pocket entry from great room as you obviously have a lot of people getting together in mind . As far as the island...... as space allows : .maybe squaring it out is better , as well.

Amanda Fellingham thanked herbflavor
  • PRO
    CA-RD
    2 år siden

hey i did a sketch for yah & video

• PRO
    CA-RD
    2 år siden

Amanda Fellingham thanked CA-RD
  • PRO
    CA-RD
    2 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}2 år siden

I mean filler not shim on the ends :\ - and the dishwasher should be on the oven side.

Amanda Fellingham thanked CA-RD
  • emilyam819
    2 år siden

Your original plan is good, just put a prep sink on the island. The hood being centered on the island is not a concern; nobody will stand against the pantry for a straight on view of the hood and wonder why it’s not centered on the island. And, you won’t fit that many seats at the island.

Amanda Fellingham thanked emilyam819
  • bmorepanic
    2 år siden

Refrigerator doors open frequently and normally, a person is using the ref at the same time. They will block that aisle towards the dining area, frequently. The person will probably want to walk down the aisle to get, oh say a glass, out of the dish storage cabinets. And god forbid, want to use the microwave to heat something up that they just took out of the ref. The dishwasher will block the other way in/out when it's door is open - having the dishwasher between the range and sink is generally a problem. A human trying to operate the range while the table is being set can get bookended by humans doing other things and left with no way to reach the sink or the pantry.

The dishwasher is oddly placed for another reason - you'll have to put yourself on the "wrong side" to put dishes away. It would be award for me because I seem to need to dump water off the bottoms of things all the time.

I would strongly consider making the island a slightly larger size, without quite so many positions (or maybe not any) for stools. I would try moving cleanup to outside edge of the island. You'd still have views but less contention. If the cleanup sink is in the island, there is no reason not to put perhaps a smaller sink on the side with the ref and the cooktop.

Other people here have made fine suggestions about trying out plans that reverse fridge and ovens. For me, I would strongly object to tall stuff closing off that end of the counter and blocking my ability to connect with others while cooking.

So, other things I would consider are moving the ref into the pantry. Getting a smart oven as my second oven (on the counter in the pantry) and putting a single 30" wall oven under counter in the main cooking run.

Just to say it, the other thing I see in my head is NO cabinets on the window wall and run the windows down to the floor or nearly the floor.

Last thing is that you CAN'T fit that many stools. People have parts that stick out (elbows) as do the stools themselves. Modern thinking is about 30 inches of linear space per human and remember that two people can't use the corner at the same time.

Amanda Fellingham thanked bmorepanic
  • cpartist
    2 år siden

You will NEVER notice that the stove is not centered on the island unless you are standing dead center to the island.

Also I'd flip the oven and the fridge. When we cook, we take food out of the pantry and/or fridge, bring it to the sink to wash and then prep between the sink and cooktop. We want to keep that order as much as possible when designing a kitchen so there's no crossing of zones.

Additionally right now your dishwasher should be on the other side of the sink so it's out of the work zone.

Amanda Fellingham thanked cpartist
  • PRO
    Amanda Fellingham thanked MDLN
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.