doshibhavya

Need help in making backsplash decision with the new countertops

Bv D
2 år siden

Hi Community,

We need help in making a last minute decision on whether to go with our chosen backsplash or not. We had to change the selection of our countertops due to availability. We are going with Calacatta Sierra as shown in the picture but now are not sure of our current backsplash selection. Does it look too busy and shall we try to go for a safer option or we can still pull it off with these countertops? P.s we have blue cabinets, flooring would be white looking tile and we love the backsplash! :)
Thanks for the suggestions as always.

(36) kommentarer

• stillpitpat
    2 år siden

Personally, I would not go with that tile. I love it, but not with that counter.

• Caroline Hamilton
    2 år siden

Not with that counter. That tile would go well with a plain white counter.

• Houzz-bruger-ID-187528210
    2 år siden

Wait until the countertop is installed. And then sample some tiles. Maybe a ceramic type tile in a blue color. Or plain white.

Or

What about some sort of terra cotta tile.

• Bv D
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

Thanks for the suggestions. We just needed a push to let go of that backsplash. We are wondering if while glass tile would be a good choice for the backsplash and would give it a simpler look.

• calidesign
    2 år siden

I don't think it works in terms of style with the countertop. Look for a solid white or a blue deeper than your cabinet color. You need to know exactly what your floor tile is before choosing the back splash. The floor is a much larger space and will impact how the back splash looks. Can you use that tile on the floors instead? If so, you could do a very simple white backsplash. Otherwise, get the floors and countertop installed and then look at back splash tiles.

• Fori
    2 år siden

I'm with Lucky. Dump the fake marble. Keep the fab tile.

• Melissa R
    2 år siden

agree with others keep backsplash and then find a plain white quartz.

• Melissa R
    2 år siden

wait, because of the size of your kitchen you might not be able to get that bigger tile to look right as a backsplash.

• calidesign
    2 år siden

I agree about the size being too big. It looks like about 1/2 inch would need to be cut from both the top and bottom of the tile to fit under the cabients, and with all the outlets breaking up the pattern, it may not look great. You could consider a smaller tile with a similar pattern if you used a solid colored countertop.

• RedRyder
    2 år siden

If you want the backsplash to be jazzy, then give up the countertop. I think your small kitchen would look great with a colorful, interesting tile backsplash. It’s more visible than your countertop anyway. Keep looking. You’re on the right track but just got the proportion wrong.

• Bv D
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

Ahh, love this community. Great suggestions so far. We do not need to cut the tile since it fits perfectly between the cabinets and we are not keeping the 4” countertop backsplash. Here are the floor tiles that we are going with. They have demolished the place, so we will pick one quickly.

• riverscox25
    2 år siden

You will need to cut the tile around the outlets and under the window.

• chispa
    2 år siden

The tile is way too big for the backsplash space, since you will never get to see the full pattern and repeat. The backsplash tile and quartz counter do not go together at all.

• RedRyder
    2 år siden

When you remove the current small backsplash piece, how many inches do you have between the countertop and underneath the cabinets? And what size is the tile you love?
    Nice floor tile choice.

• Bv D
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

Thanks Chispa for the reality check.
    @RedRyder After removing the current backsplash piece, we would have exactly the same space as the tile with maybe half an inch extra. The tile is 17x17. We got a few more backsplash samples today and will try them out tomorrow. We just moved back into the house after a week of Demo & Chaos and creating a sanctuary upstairs for the duration of the rest of the project. :)

• Olychick
    2 år siden

I was looking for some inspiration pics using a similar size tile and found this site. I thought this looks similar to the look you may be going for? This brand tile's largest size is 12x12, so hopefully you can see that the 17" is probably too large.

And look how nice with a plain countertop.

https://www.granadatile.com/en/gallery/collection/echo-collection

• lwfromny
    2 år siden

That tile is fabulous - I agree with others that I’d keep the tile and choose a quieter countertop. Which I know is not what you asked, so in terms of your original question, no I wouldn’t use them together. Too much going on.

• RedRyder
    2 år siden

Can you put the tile up against the back wall and post a photo? If one tile covers the whole backsplash space, that could look very cool, or not. Your chosen tile is really striking, so I see why you want to make it work.

• kculbers
    2 år siden

The tile is stunning, but does not go with your countertop choice❣️I agree to get the counter installed, and then get sample tiles for the backsplash to see what looks best in your kitchen. I think your counter will be the star in your kitchen. A simple backsplash might look best. I chose a 4” backsplash that is the same Silestone Quartz as my counter. I think it compliments my simple Shaker styled cabinetry❣️

• Bv D
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

RedRyder, yes one tile covers the whole backsplash. @kculbers, love the shaker style cabinets and clean look. We are going with the shaker style in the 3 bathrooms we are remodeling as well, we have high hopes for those!
    I think we have realized to go with a simpler tile, so the kitchen looks less busy since we are adding a bar area next to the washer and making a weird angled countertop space to a peninsula with waterfall on the other side. We picked a few samples of white glass tiles and slightly textured grey tile but we will wait till the countertops are installed since lighting is sketchy now. Thanks everyone for your input and guidance!

• Fori
    2 år siden

SHow us the BIG one! :)

• kculbers
    2 år siden

Bv D. I like your tile choice❣️It will look lovely with your countertop. I also like your unique door pulls. As the years go by I have become more and more a minimalist. My new motto is:“Less is More”. I love the Shaker style. It is a clean simple look, and has endured the test of time.

• Becky H
    2 år siden

What anout using that tile in your laundry room on the floor? I think itll look good next to the white floor tile you chose gor the kitchen.

• sfbannister
    2 år siden

We decided against the marble look and went with Metropolis Dark from Arizona Tile. It has a matte finish so pattern doesn’t reflect. I didn’t want to give up the backsplash I love

• PRO
    CK Hoffman Design
    2 år siden

Sorry that you had to reselect mid project. I love the tile you picked, but now with these new countertops, I think they will clash. Find a classic white tile in stone, ceramic or glass. Z Collection and Pental will have some nice options. Then - take a few of those original tiles you LOVE an make them into trivets. They will decorate your kitchen nicely. You can also match some dishware to those colors and create a nice curated look.

• RedRyder
    2 år siden

It looks great. Sorry the first combination didn’t work out. The backsplash tile is adorable!

• Bv D
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

@Becky H, we can’t even use that in the laundry room since that is upstairs and the flooring is different upstairs. :(
    @sfbannister, that looks lovely. Unfortunately we have very little natural light in the kitchen, so we have to pick light colored stone.
    @RedRyder, thanks for your feedback, really appreciate your help.

• Bv D
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

@CK Hoffman Design, that’s a wonderful idea. We have picked a couple of white glass tiles to chek them out once the countertops are in. We will have to look into trivets because we were looking for something so that we don’t place hot items right on top of the quartz countertops. Thank you so much!

• Olychick
    2 år siden

Don't give up the backsplash you love! Even if it wouldn't be the choice of some posters here, if you love it, you'll enjoy it every day. I hate to see you being led down the path of another neutral, boring kitchen that is ubiquitous on these forums. I do think the switch of countertops was a good choice.

• The_Lane_Duo
    2 år siden

The backsplash you like is super pretty. Have you considered a quartzite countertop?

Also, you may have said this and I missed it but what is the company/line on the tile you like? I'd like to save it for a future idea in our pool bath. I seriously love the pattern & color combo. All the heart eyes. lol! :-)

• Bv D
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

Thanks @Olychick but unfortunately our countertops are ordered, so we have to go with the neutral option. Hopefully in our next house we will have a roomier and brighter kitchen to play with the design, this is our 1st one. :)
    @The_Lane_Duo, Here is the link to the tile, it was also very cost effective:

https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcelain-tile/casablanca-dawn-matte-porcelain-tile-100652999.html

• Olychick
    2 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}2 år siden

Bev, your dream tile doesn't go with the new countertop? It looks like it would....if not, that's too bad. Have you looked for another patterned tile that would? Maybe there's another out there you could love?

• Bv D
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

Thanks Olychick for that good suggestion. I think we will have to redo the search once the countertops are installed. Our contractor said he could install backsplash at the very last. So, we will bring a few backsplash samples and place them against the new countertops to see what we can go with. We are still not returning the tile until we finalize the backsplash, may even keep them for some future project. :)

• Andrea Petersen
    2 år siden

The color combo of the floor tile, cabinets and countertop are wonderful but unfortunately they seem to clash with the backsplash. I feel for you! I fell in love with a blue quartzite slab and also an agate slab that you can backlight, I wanted to use the agate slab as a backsplash but glad I reconsidered when I realized how busy it would be. If you chose a solid quartz countertop it would work, but your countertop has too much movement with the busy (albeit large, so less repeating) backsplash tile. Even your floor tile has some movement in it. Your eyes won’t know where to settle when they look in the room, the colorful cabinets, the bright backsplash, the bold countertop? I think in the long run you will be much more satisfied with a solid colored backsplash (there isn’t much area to tile anyways)…you could still chose a tile in a unique shape (star mosaics, hexagons) or pattern (herringbone) for some character. A solid colored backsplash will age better as well, you can always add bold small appliances or decor to spice it up occasionally, and those are easy and inexpensive to change with changing design styles. Good luck!

• Bv D
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

Thanks Andrea, that’s a wonderful explanation of design style! :)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.